Another TV question

BrenMyster

Featured Posts

Hi guys

Just a little TV question. I want a slightly larger Tv on my boat, something between 28-32". I have only found this 12v Avtex Tv ( L327TRS) which has a power usage of 35w. I don't really trust the quality of a brand that I have never heard of before. I can't see a TV like this having the smart capabilities of a Sony or Samsung. Plus its £400!.

I've been digging and found a few Sunsung TV's that have a very low wattage (21w). http://www.samsung.com/uk/tvs/hd-j4100/UE28J4100AKXXU/ Samsung actually list the energy rating on their site which is great.

There are others that range between 21 - 50w. I know very little about power. But I wanted to know the real world different between 12v at 35w and 240v at 21w. I know the inverter will use power so that will decrease in efficiency of the Samsung.

Or am I being stupid even thinking of getting a 240v TV.

Cheers

Firstly, Avtex are high quality TVs and are supplied with some top-end caravans. Whether or not it has the facilities you require is a call that only you can make.

35W @ 12V is approximately 3A draw from the batteries.

21W @ 230V is approximately 2A draw from the batteries.

edited for clarity

Edited by WotEver

Hi guys

Just a little TV question. I want a slightly larger Tv on my boat, something between 28-32". I have only found this 12v Avtex Tv ( L327TRS) which has a power usage of 35w. I don't really trust the quality of a brand that I have never heard of before. I can't see a TV like this having the smart capabilities of a Sony or Samsung. Plus its £400!.

I've been digging and found a few Sunsung TV's that have a very low wattage (21w). http://www.samsung.com/uk/tvs/hd-j4100/UE28J4100AKXXU/ Samsung actually list the energy rating on their site which is great.

There are others that range between 21 - 50w. I know very little about power. But I wanted to know the real world different between 12v at 35w and 240v at 21w. I know the inverter will use power so that will decrease in efficiency of the Samsung.

Or am I being stupid even thinking of getting a 240v TV.

Cheers

I only ever buy 240v tvs. Mine on this boat again is 240v. Including inverter on it uses approx 25 percent more than a 12volt tv which is absolutely nothing if you obviously have sufficient battery power. Good make 32 inch tv is about £120. and available from 64 billion shops instantly, pick one up in the soooopermarket instantly. Mine draws 3.5 thingies when switched on.

Great,

Funny how my home TV uses 120w!!!!! Now Samsung do a slightly smaller 32' that only uses 31w!. Guess tech has come on further in the past few years.

much of the savings are coming from switching from CCFL (flourescent tubes) to LED backlighting on the screens, a smaller amount is being saved from more efficient transistors in the screen itself.

if you want the absolute best go for an IPS screen, normal lcd has a relatively narrow viewing angle (this is why a screen can look dark / wrong colours when you look from above/below) IPS screen do not have this issue.

Note that Samsung and LG may have been "doing a Volkswagen" with their energy consumption figures. http://www.economist.com/news/business/21716075-tvs-samsung-lg-and-vizio-consume-far-more-electricity-home-they-do

I'd still use an inverter and a mains telly, in the most unlikely event that I ever felt the need for a telly on the boat.

If you look at the back of all the TVs in Currys, or John lewis, or wherever, you will find that some of them actually take a DC supply via a 240v adapter. Most take between 14V and 20V.

I have 2 TVs on board, a 22" Samsung which takes 15V and a 24" LG which takes 19V. I feed both from the 12V supply via a variable voltage adapter with the appropriate connector. Both are Smart TVs, so can connect to my mobile broadband and show various catch up TV and other stuff. I dont need to use an inverter.

The Samsung is currently for sale at £199 in John lewis, and I'm thinking of getting a second to replace the LG as it isnt actually as "Smart" as the Samsung :)

Firstly, Avtex are high quality TVs and are supplied with some top-end caravans. Whether or not it has the facilities you require is a call that only you can make.

35W @ 12V is approximately 3A draw from the batteries.

21W @ 230V is approximately 2A draw from the batteries.

edited for clarity

The 240V figure for battery load assumes a very efficient inverter.

If the inverter is running just for the TV then the 21W 240V TV plus inverter losses will be about the same as the 12V TV assuming a reasonably efficient inverter.

However, if like me the inverter also powers the fridge then you already have the inverter losses for running the fridge in which case the extra load of the TV will be about 2A.

The 240V figure for battery load assumes a very efficient inverter.

Not really. I was assuming 80% efficiency for the inverter.

21W @ 230V = 0.09A.

230V / 12.6V = 18.25

18.25 x 0.09 = 1.6A

1.6A / 80% = 2A

edited to get the division correct.

Edited by WotEver

Interesting. A big TV is something I'd rather not give up if and when we become full-time liveaboards (being a bit of a film buff who's got used to watching Blu-rays on a 47" screen at home). So it's encouraging to see some pretty modest-looking power consumption figures for newer TVs.

I've seen these reports before and I'm not at all convinced that 'they're doing a VW'. It looks far more to me like litigious old USA is doing what it loves doing and issuing a class action law suit to make money for attorneys.

Note that Samsung and LG may have been "doing a Volkswagen" with their energy consumption figures. http://www.economist.com/news/business/21716075-tvs-samsung-lg-and-vizio-consume-far-more-electricity-home-they-do

I'd still use an inverter and a mains telly, in the most unlikely event that I ever felt the need for a telly on the boat.