No Scruffy Boats in Norwich

Tim Lewis

Featured Posts

Think they are getting 'ideas above their station' - Quote from the article :

Thorpe St Andrew isn’t the only place in the world hoping to attract high-end vessels.

These five marinas are also well-known for their exclusive clientele.

• Marina di Porto Cervo, Sardinia, Italy - The port offers space for up to 60 superyachts, and berthing fees costs more than £2,000 each day.

• Yas Marina, Abu Dhabi - Situated on Yas Island, the marina is large enough for 227 boats and caters for superyachts up to 150m in length.

• Puerto Banús in Marbella, Spain - Covering an area of 150,000 square metres, boat owners can pay up to £2,000 each day.

• Marina di Portofino, Italy - Once a small fishing village, this exclusive marina only has 14 berths and costs up to £2,654 per space.

• Marina di Capri, Italy - Arguably one of the most expensive marinas, costing more than £3,100 each day in fees.

Thorpe St Andrew isn’t the only place in the world hoping to attract high-end vessels.

• Marina di Porto Cervo, Sardinia, Italy - The port offers space for up to 60 superyachts, and berthing fees costs more than £2,000 each day.

• Yas Marina, Abu Dhabi - Situated on Yas Island, the marina is large enough for 227 boats and caters for superyachts up to 150m in length.

• Puerto Banús in Marbella, Spain - Covering an area of 150,000 square metres, boat owners can pay up to £2,000 each day.

• Marina di Portofino, Italy - Once a small fishing village, this exclusive marina only has 14 berths and costs up to £2,654 per space.

• Marina di Capri, Italy - Arguably one of the most expensive marinas, costing more than £3,100 each day in fees.

Local news reporting makes me cringe at times and the East seems to do it worst than most! They will do anything to try and shoe-horn the East into international news or compare places to some where exotic.

I do remember at the time of a Tsunami the EDP running a front page story on how a couple from Norfolk 'nearly' went on holiday there but cancelled a few months before.

I'm surprised they missed the harbour at Monaco off the list.

If I ever win the lottery (unlikely as I rarely buy a ticket), I would love to get DQ craned into the harbour for the Grand Prix weekend. Just imagine all those superyachts with blacking smeared on the sides :)

If you live on a street and decide to 'store' broken fridges and old mattresses in your front garden you will be asked by the council to smarten up. Why any different for boaters occupying a place of leisure?

I don't think that happens on my street, but I do live in one of the less smart areas of Croydon (yes it does have some smart areas!).

In my street they often bypass their tiny front gardens and put junk out on the pavement, probably placing it a few doors away so no-one knows which house it came from.

On our visit in 2013 someone asked where all the big boats were as the quay was empty, our guide said that the previous year the fees went up and so the yachts went out and anchored off. They had been paying 5 Euro a night before the rise and that included the waste drainage and the 32 amp 3 phase power supply, no charge for the electric used. Hope CRT don't get similar ideas.

my bruv has a 38ft classic yacht

post-22107-0-12425500-1486921762_thumb.jpg

post-22107-0-35353700-1486922087_thumb.jpg

He recently moved to Brittany where there is a big classic yacht community with a festival every year.

He met the harbourmaster at L'Orient marina who told him there was a huge waiting list for moorings, and to forget about it in his lifetime, until he saw the photo of the boat. He immediately reserved a mooring close to the dockside, at 25% discount.

Lucky b*st*rd.

£15 per foot per year for non-ratepayers sounds rather good. Is mooring in the Broads generally that cheap?

First comment mentions £50/foot elsewhere locally. The mayor said at £15/foot they could just cherry-pick the pretty boats. (Words to that effect.)

On one level, I admire them having the openness to state their claim and plans, on the flipside I think selecting boats to populate an area based on aesthetics, likely judged by a fairly naive and or narrow minded panel of people is not overly desirable!

Danel

£15 per foot per year for non-ratepayers sounds rather good. Is mooring in the Broads generally that cheap?

I used to pay about £2000-00pa for a big plot at Horning on he river Bure.

We had a 60foot quayheaded dyke with about 60 feet of quayheaded river bank which went back as far as the marsh behind us. We also had a plot the other side of the 15foot wide dyke which was about 15 feet wide with a slipway

Good value for money I thought.

Phil

• 4 years later...