Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Sign in to follow this  
MasterDabber

So would you do it all again?

Featured Posts

As someone still at the "thinking about it" stage and reading these forums and posts... and seeing a lot of negatives....

BW auctioning moorings, selling out

Dodgy builders

poorly maintained waterways

the demise of red diesel

escalating costs

etc, etc

Is it worth it? If you never had a boat, would you still buy into narrow boating?

If I was thinking about buying... I would sit it out now, I'm afraid to say....and as I understand, this has happened already....

and who could blame them? when all we seem to be getting is doom from the powers that be....

all we see is escalating costs! and possible massive escalating costs to come.... we are stuck on a ride that seems to be spiralling out of control at this time....we could do with some promises at this time, the industry could do with some lifelines, but we are about as likely of getting those, as this boat has in flying to the moon!

all we can do is hang on and ponder the canals in Belgium or France.... :/ as a possibility, is the cacka hits the fan....

erm the answer would probably be NO(at this time) because everything is so up in the air...

As someone still at the "thinking about it" stage and reading these forums and posts... and seeing a lot of negatives....

BW auctioning moorings, selling out

Dodgy builders

poorly maintained waterways

the demise of red diesel

escalating costs

etc, etc

Is it worth it? If you never had a boat, would you still buy into narrow boating?

When some of us started boating most of the canals were suffereing from dereliction. Generally, most of them are in much better condition now. BW were actively trying to shut down canals. As were local councils, both now seem to have changed their attitude, e.g. Coventry City Council, there are many more. Red diesel issue is not yet settled, there may be alternatives. Unless you live on board you may not use much anyway. My annual consumption has never exceeded 60 gallons (270 litres).

Costs are always to be borne in mind. You have to cut your suit to the cloth, get as small a boat as you think will be big enough (Cruiser?) buy used? Are you sure you like it enough? Have you tried a hire boat holiday?

A week on the Staffs and Worcester and/or the South Oxford especially in autumn is a delight.

Not trying to persuade you, just putting up a few more positive notes.

Tony :cheers:

Yes, just delivered a boat from Limehouse to Uxbridge, got all the lines of linier moorings, a few un licensed, graffiti, drunks in Camden town, sh*t loads of carrier bags and god knows what else floating in the cut, but hey, I loved it! and a real treat today,(bit sad I know) I saw a pair of working boat being loaded up with aggregates, the motor boat was sat really low in the water with 26 tones of the stuff on board. Hmm let me think, what else... yeah there was a very young pair of fox cubs, usual Herrings, Kingfishers, oh and I fed 9 Moorhen chicks off my boat at about 930pm last night down the Paddington (the new bit) basin. Yes I would do it again. :cheers:

Edit to say, the company 'off loading' was Land and Water.

Edited by nigel carton

Been boating 23 years. just planning our new boat to live on in 4 years time. yes - things look gloomy but twas ever thus. if you think this is bad the alternative is worsening at a faster pace. its not about the politics its what the chap before said - feeding chicks in the dusk - the stillness of the water at 7pm - your favourite place on the cut - the peace of the mornings before the rest of the world is up and about - happy dogs on the towpath - all snoozing by the fire in a winters eve. You'll love it or hate it but you won't know til you try. start small and grow. you're only here once!!!!!

Master Dabber

We (my wife and I) are in the lucky position that we have retired (early/forced) the boat is on order build starts December/January would I do it again Yes

We have removed the rose tinted glasses, looked at all the downs and the ups, at the moment the ups have it.

We may not like it (have hired for many years) but if we don't do it we will have a long time to say 'What if'

We will be live aboard, continuous cruisers (not bridge hoppers) we wil not have a home/house to return to (gasp, shock horror) but it something we have to do.

Some would say we are mad, we may well be but we will be not alone. :cheers:

Thanks a lot for all the replies and for the very balanced feedback.

I should have said at the outset that I fully realise that any decision is down to me and I have to take responsibility for whatever I decide.

If we were to proceed we would not be planning to live aboard or CC. The boat would purely be for recreation and pleasure.

If I buy it won't be a new boat but I'd like to get something only a few years old and in nice condition.

I recognise the need to tinker and maintain but buying a boat to spend all my waking hours working on doesn't appeal to me at all.

Before participating on these forums I'd already understood (to a degree) some of the things I needed to consider but being on here has opened my eyes to quite a few things I hadn't considered.

My only boating (under power) experience has been on the Canal du Midi where we had a great time. I do understand the water fairly well as I used to be a competitive racing kayaker and occasional slalomer. I fully recognise the need to spend some time hiring a nb in England.

At the end of the day any financial outlay would be considerable (in our terms anyway) and would take a reasonable percentage of our available capital.

I'm now retired (early) but my wife still works. In the short term we would use weekends and holidays. Once my wife retired longer trips would be in order.

Anyway... thanks again... just trying to balance things in my mind.

Derek

Hi Derek

See you on the cut then :cheers:

Good luck in whatever your final decision is, you will always be welcome in the madhouse with the rest of us.

Narrow-boating has never been a cheap hobby though there is some escalation of cost, most or all of it is our own fault. Every time I pick up a waterways comic I see reviews of 100K boats this must surely be driven to a large extent by demand, probably the underlying problem is ironically the rising cost of houses, people are finding that they can raise very substantial sums on their properties and many foolishly see the rising value of their homes as some sort of credit limit.

Many of course go for the live-aboard option and find that what was a valuable asset ie. their home could be transformed into a decent income along with a comfortable boat, having had a long succession of mild winters increasing numbers are taking this step though if like me you think this global warming thing is grossly over hyped and we get a couple of bad winters we may see a spectacular reversal of the trend.

The canals themselves have been enormously improved over the past 30 years or so but it has not been done in an sustainable way the custodians having more of an eye for profit than a genuine fondness of the waterways. It remains to be seen what the longer term outcome will be, personally I would like to see the present shabby regime turfed out before they can do too much more damage.

Trouble is John O, they might cut our throats before they get ousted.... :/

they have been hacking at it already....will we be in for the full slash b4 they exit stage left ...

Yeah, ive only skimmed this thread, but its deffonatly worth doing.

- When people just home and sit on the computer they do like to moan. And there certainly is a few things to moan about.

- However, when your on the boat, on a english summers day, chugging along the cut, you know its all worth it. And so does everyone else!

Daniel

Since time began Joe public the land lubber have a religious belief. "If you have a boat you have loadsa money".

Those who service our needs preach this witchcraft. . :unsure:

I wouldn't put all my eggs in one basket by living aboard.

Narrowboating isn't a particular cheap hobby and will only get more expensive in relative terms.

By buying a nearly new boat, you will reap the benefit of depreciation, the downside being that you can't

choose the fit-out spec. Choose your boat carefully if you're not into maintenance.

Life on the cut is still one of the best ways to see the UK and just being on water relaxes and gets you back

to the village mentality of yester-year.

You will never get your money back - buy long term and use the boat as often as possible to get maximim vfm.

So many boats just sit empty at the moorings.

Thanks a lot for all the replies and for the very balanced feedback.

I should have said at the outset that I fully realise that any decision is down to me and I have to take responsibility for whatever I decide.

If we were to proceed we would not be planning to live aboard or CC. The boat would purely be for recreation and pleasure.

If I buy it won't be a new boat but I'd like to get something only a few years old and in nice condition.

I recognise the need to tinker and maintain but buying a boat to spend all my waking hours working on doesn't appeal to me at all.

Before participating on these forums I'd already understood (to a degree) some of the things I needed to consider but being on here has opened my eyes to quite a few things I hadn't considered.

My only boating (under power) experience has been on the Canal du Midi where we had a great time. I do understand the water fairly well as I used to be a competitive racing kayaker and occasional slalomer. I fully recognise the need to spend some time hiring a nb in England.

At the end of the day any financial outlay would be considerable (in our terms anyway) and would take a reasonable percentage of our available capital.

I'm now retired (early) but my wife still works. In the short term we would use weekends and holidays. Once my wife retired longer trips would be in order.

Anyway... thanks again... just trying to balance things in my mind.

Derek

I've just put my name down for a mooring at Ryde Harbour, long term plans, about 4 years, but its where we are heading and I got to have a boat..... :unsure:

Sign in to follow this