Arethusa - former Black Prince hire boat

canaljunky

Featured Posts

I am trying to find pictures of a former Black Prince hire boat called Arethusa. I believe she was built in 1982 and introduced into the fleet in 1983. We hired her for a week from Whixall Marina on the Llangollen Canal in early 1983 but I have lost the photos of the trip. Back in the 80s she was painted in blue and yellow (the standard Black Prince colours in those days) and had bow protection bars running from near the Tstud on the bow to the top corners of the cabin (also standard on the Llangollen Canal in those days). Does anyone know where I might find pictures of her?

I am trying to find pictures of a former Black Prince hire boat called Arethusa. I believe she was built in 1982 and introduced into the fleet in 1983.

The most likely candidate I can find is B.W.B. index 76080 which dates to 1982 as 36' narrow beam hire boat ARETHUSA.

This boat has changed names a few times as BEES KNEES, YOU ME AND HIM and more recently FREYJA. Unfortunately I am unable to supply any photographs captain.gif

Many thanks to you all for your replies - GoodGurl, you have solved a mystery - I had a notion I had seen photos of Arethusa on a website ad now I kow where (sadly closed down, as you say). I was aware that she had a few name changes - she was also sold to another hire company when she was only a few years old. Additionallty, the current Black Prince is a different organisation - the previous Black Prince Narrowboats was replaced by Black Prince Holidays at a different location.

• 4 weeks later...
40 minutes ago, Naughty Cal said:

If that boat was 36ft, where did all of those children sleep :blink:

It's down as a 38ft Frigate Class that sleeps 2/3.

The front cover of the brochure shows the same crew in the same clothes on a 63ft 8/10 berth boat called Rainbow.

Frigate.pdf

I'm a little late to this topic, just seen it!

On 2/8/2017 at 18:48, GoodGurl said:

Dan who ran the black prince owner site sadly closed it down :( all the information you would ever need was on there such a shame.

While on the topic, does anyone know where Black Prince's "Primrose" moved on to after leaving their fleet? I think it was a 5th berth but not certain. - Just curious as this was one of the first memorable narrowboat holidays as a child back in 1997. :)