Washing Machines... Again, Sorry. Anyone use a AEG onboard?

Paringa

Featured Posts

​Hello all...

​I am about to purchase a washing machine for the barge to replace the little Candy that was just too small but worked well. My head says to stick with Candy as they seem to be a bit happier with the various electric "flavours" onboard, but my heart is looking at a AEG.

​Firstly, does anyone use a AEG onboard? Perhaps even this one AEG L76475FL ??

Is it okay off a PSW Inverter? Mine is a Victron 3000

I am not lost if it doesn't work off my generator - Vetus - but I live in hope. The Candy did, a previous Zanussi didn't so I have a work around.

Shore power shouldn't be a problem....should it???

So Candy or AEG? Or am I being foolish to even consider a brand change?

Don't want to sound ungrateful but I am aware of the problems of washers onboard, the various scruffy electrical waveform delights rendering them useless, loads on battery banks etc etc etc...just need a bit of assurance if I am being honest in the hope somebody out there has a AEG onboard.

Your constructive input received with thanks before I say a prayer to the washer Gods and spend my pennies.

Happy boating

Hi I don't have the AEG but do have an Indesit that copes with the vagaries of boat electrics apart from the odd sulk if I change the programme too often. I run off either a Victron 2.5kw inverter charger for cold washes or gennie when doing a hot wash. Hope this helps, by the way the machine is 10 years old now, fingers crossed still OK.

You could order one of the Internet and send it back within 7 days if it doesn't work.

Argos have a 30 day return policy as well which is probably better if ya prefer local high street. Not sure about other places but I would check the return policy before you do buy.

Edited by Robbo

Hi I don't have the AEG but do have an Indesit that copes with the vagaries of boat electrics apart from the odd sulk if I change the programme too often. I run off either a Victron 2.5kw inverter charger for cold washes or gennie when doing a hot wash. Hope this helps, by the way the machine is 10 years old now, fingers crossed still OK.

Thanks Meanderingviking - I hope your washer does last as the more modern and fancier they get the more problems they give us in powering them.

Hi,

We have a Miele washer dryer that works fine on shore,victron 3000, and 5kw travelpower also works on the Honda 2 genset via the victron

with power assist

Ray

I would love a Miele but just don't have the room to fit one in hence the AEG which is shallower... but comforting to know the Victron is okay though.

You could order one of the Internet and send it back within 7 days if it doesn't work.

Argos have a 30 day return policy as well which is probably better if ya prefer local high street. Not sure about other places but I would check the return policy before you do buy.

I could Robbo...

I have studied the T's n C's and they have you on the if you unpack it you have accepted it so no return unless it is faulty. I think I would have to be very careful and only plug it in, but then these modern things may well throw a wobbler if the water isn't connected and then you have installed it so that isn't going to help.

I suppose the best I can hope for is that the shorepower will be okay when I am plugged in and the Victron will be okay any other time... If the gennie also powers it it would be a result.

Hi Raymonh,

This is a very interesting comment, approx how old is your Miele washer dryer??

These machines a pretty sensitive and monitor everything......they're full of electronics, the newer ones expecially.

To hear this running off a Victron inverter and Travelpower without hiccping, is a great piece of info.

Hi,

We have a Miele washer dryer that works fine on shore,victron 3000, and 5kw travelpower also works on the Honda 2 genset via the victron

with power assist

Ray

Our trusty washer finally got to the stage that it was not worth fixing.

We replaced it with a Beco.

It works fine from our Multiplus but stops mid cycle on the genny as the hertz drops to below what it wants.

If we have the genny / inverter on auto then the genny comes on for the heat cycle & then goes off.

That allows the washer to continue with the cycle.

If the genny is on to recharge the bats then we cant put the washer on.

Edited by Justme

• 3 weeks later...

Pleased to report that I have installed the AEG and It runs from shore and inverter without a problem. It doesn't like to run straight off the generator but as soon as the gennie gets a electrical load it is fine, so I just do my washing when the batteries need recharging.