Aldi Marmalade

pophops

Featured Posts

James Martin just cooked a fillet steak on a program I'm watching and he said the resting time should be approximately 50% of the cooking time. He was in France and though he didn't mention it I'd say he cooked it medium-rare.

À Point doesn't mean 'medium rare' by the way, it means "perfectly cooked". See here: https://behind-the-french-menu.blogspot.co.uk/2012/05/behind-french-menu.html?m=1

As it happens, the French opinion of "perfect" happens to coincide with medium rare smile.png

...so they DO describe medium rare as a point, then. Literally, "to the point" ... beyond which it has been cooked too far.

Your link actually says "A steak in France cooked “ à point,” will be rare-to-medium-rare, with the accent on the rare"

Which is exactly what I was explaining, n'est-ce pas?

I would add that in France you often don't get asked at all how you would like a steak - it comes a point by default.

A request for "tres bien cuit" could precipitate disbelief or laughter (or both) of course.

Which I find to be too over cooked for my liking.

Which is entirely your prerogative, for which I do not criticise you at all.

Edited by Machpoint005

I agree with the quality of the Aldi brands, and the marmalade of course.

In my opinion... well my wife's really, the fresh fruit and veg can be their let down. They do not have a sell by date or best before date, but have some various code numbers, but I think Aldi staff are not good at rotating stock, maybe they don't understand the codes either.

Rotten oranges, three days after purchase is a classic example.

We now don't bother with their fruit and veg anymore, problem solved.

We have 6 Aldi stores within a 6 mile radius, but only one Lidl.

...so they DO describe medium rare as a point, then. Literally, "to the point" ... beyond which it has been cooked too far.

Your link actually says "A steak in France cooked à point, will be rare-to-medium-rare, with the accent on the rare"

Which is exactly what I was explaining, n'est-ce pas?

Mais oui, I was simply pointing out the actual meaning of à point to those who might not know.

T :)

Perfect for my taste - others may differ :)

A%2Bpoint.%2BPhotograph%2BDan..jpg

James Martin just cooked a fillet steak on a program I'm watching and he said the resting time should be approximately 50% of the cooking time. He was in France and though he didn't mention it I'd say he cooked it medium-rare.

We've enjoyed this series so much - James Martin's French Adventures - that I've just ordered the book from Amazon. He's cooked so many things that have had us positively drooling.

We've enjoyed this series so much - James Martin's French Adventures - that I've just ordered the book from Amazon. He's cooked so many things that have had us positively drooling.

We've yet to see him cook anything that didn't have us both drooling :)

Yes please....

I thought you said you didn't like medium rare?

Which I find to be too over cooked for my liking.

I think we have reached a consensus: the minor differences between us are covered by the natural variation among different chefs.

But does anyone approve of the current fashion for undercooked fish (not from Aldi)?

Never mind undercooked I don't like to eat fish in any way shape for form.

Actually thats wrong, chippy fish swamped in malt vinegar and loads of salt is the only way I can eat fish

Never mind undercooked I don't like to eat fish in any way shape for form.

Actually thats wrong, chippy fish swamped in malt vinegar and loads of salt is the only way I can eat fish

Ahhhh proper fish...........now ya talkin........wi mushy peas and curry sauce bloomin awesome. Non of that slushy crap.

... does anyone approve of the current fashion for undercooked fish?

Only if it's sushi, but then it has to be GOOD sushi.

Truly undercooked fish as you mean... no.

Is it true that sushi was invented by two broke Japanese restaurateurs who couldn't afford a cooker?

This gives me the ideal opportunity to dredge up my old joke from 2015 about the new German-owned supermarket chain specifically aimed at

folks like us that's opening soon.

It's called...

...Canaldi.

Joking apart, we do most of our shopping at Aldi these days, although we have had the odd disappointment with the longevity of the

veg on occasion recently.

Only if it's sushi, but then it has to be GOOD sushi.

Truly undercooked fish as you mean... no.

Is it true that sushi was invented by two broke Japanese restaurateurs who couldn't afford a cooker?

GOOD slushy? Slushy is slushy..........gopping..........

Not a recipe, just a recommendation really.

Grandessa marmalade - thick cut. It's an Aldi own brand and just about as good as you can get.

Love it!

Not tried that but I am a fan of Aldi stuff...

If anyone's in to making fruit gins (it's forced rhubarb season and rhubarb gin is delicious) then Aldi's gin is very highly rated and cheap. Like under £10 for 70cL cheap (they do a 1L bottle as well).

The Cromwell dry gin is very nice...

Oh, I see. Un toro loco is what it turns you into.

And also a rather nice Malbec for a little bit more...

Mais oui, I was simply pointing out the actual meaning of à point to those who might not know.

T smile.png

Perfect for my taste - others may differ smile.png

A%2Bpoint.%2BPhotograph%2BDan..jpg

That looks like a good vet could resuscitate it...smile.png

Edited by Paringa

For perfect marmalade, make your own! Haven't bought any for years.No shop-bought marmo comes close! We are probably just past the season for Seville oranges although there may be a few still kicking around.

My ma-in-law and the Memsahib both used to make MaMade (in tins) but I haven't seen any of that for a while either.