Max draught on Huddersfield Narrow Canal

Arf

Featured Posts

Hello all!

I was planning on going up the Huddersfield narrow this spring. However I understand it can be tricky for depth, including getting past lock cills.

My boat draws 2 foot 7 at a standstill, so a little more when underway. Would I be wasting my time or in for a lot of pain attempting the canal? Has anyone/does anyone know of boats getting through at a similar (or deeper) draught?

Were 54 foot long and have fit comfortably through froghall and hurleston, so hopefully our other dimensions shouldnt be a problem...

Edited by Arf

We draw 2ft 7 about and have crossed in both the last two years. It is shallow. We had no particular problems but some challenges but in 2015 another boat single handed that came through the tunnel with us had a bad time through lack of water. 2016 was better, whether it was more water or we had improved our technique. Keep at least two locks behind any other boat. Ensure your prop and rudder are clear of debris at all times as even one plastic bag makes a huge difference in marginal conditions. In the narrow shallow parts absolute minimum power gives you the best chance of maintaining steerage. Minimum progress is far better then no progress and increasing power may well drive the bow further into the shallows. When the bow slowly lifts indicating it has bottomed take the boat out of gear, when the bow may well slide across gently back into the channel. Otherwise just a bit dead slow reverse will pump water under the hull and it will gently slide back into the channel. We never had to use the pole or bowthruster. It is an absolutely stunning canal and should be taken slowly and savoured. If the history of the tunnel fascinates you ask if you can be chapporoned by Terry who if he is on duty takes the last boat thru. Suitable clothing for the tunnel passage look to see what the Chapporones are wearing. When we went thru last year the macho man on the first boat insisted he would be fine in just a tee shirt and shorts. By the time we emerged he had already left the tunnel mouth so we deneid asking had he been warm enough.

Enjoy it. Absolutely unique hill top boating and caving experience with wonderful villages enroute. Cart staff are enthusiasts and helpful.

Don

Dead slow in the narrow shallow areas

• Greenie 1

Quite a lot of the eastern side was dredged in 2015, including below Lock 15E, where silting from a stream had made it very shallow. Low water used to be a problem between Lock 1E and 2E, very difficult to cope with as there is no towpath access to 2E, but that seemed to have been resolved when I went through last year.

Some short pounds on both sides can fluctuate a lot, and it may be necessary to fill them before proceeding. Because of incidents at Lock 11W, there is a level gauge indicating when the pound above is too low to allow you over the cill, but it would pay to make sure of this in other locks as well. With normal care, you should be fine.

Edited to say don't expect to be able to get into lock landings in the normal way, especially with a deep-draughted boat. Nose into the lock, top or bottom - there are usually steps or a climbable slope at the bottom.

Edited by Mac of Cygnet
  • Greenie 1

We struggled in a couple of places in 2015 in a new Shire Cruiser hire boat, Between 1e and 2e was interesting as access to 2e is by boat only so you can't go ahead to let water down. We did get through with a certain amount of pushing off the high walls and rocking, We were not far off launching the canoe to go ahead to let down water. I think it has been dredged since then. Cills were not a problem it was just the depth in the main channel even when in some places water was up to the overflow level. I think we had a couple of locks going up on the East side where we had to pull the boat into the lock (going up) with ropes and gentle power. (Too much power just made us sit on the bottom).

West side was no problem, and as b0atman says above it is well worth the effort.

Have an amazing trip......, Marsden Locks are my favourite on the whole system. Just magical on a sunny afternoon when you know you are alone as the only other boats in your tunnel convoy are already at the top. Sun shining through the trees and friendly gongoozlers on the tow path....... you can't beat it!

Some short pounds on both sides can fluctuate a lot, and it may be necessary to fill them before proceeding. Because of incidents at Lock 11W, there is a level gauge indicating when the pound above is too low to allow you over the cill, but it would pay to make sure of this in other locks as well. With normal care, you should be fine.

It is 9W that has the indicator- the pound to 10W is very short and also shallow so it's easy to run out of water with even a shallow draft boat. The leaking cill and bottom gates on 9w have been replaced so it is better these days, but still beware.

I believe Mikron theatre took their grand Union motor at least part way up a few years ago but were stopped by width so on your shallow draught you should be ok. I'm sure someone will come out of the woodwork and confirm or deny.

Mikron's Tyseley went up just after the canal was re-opened but was stuck, widthwise at Wade lock in Uppermill and could go no further. Similarly, Spey was stopped at the same place. Barlow's motor Daphne,didn't get that far ,lock 19W a few months ago- a combination of slightly "wide" boat and a bulging lock wall. Motor maintenance boat Joel has been to Huddersfield and back with no width problems, likewise horseboat Maria has traversed HNC many times. It isn't called the "Huddersfield Narrow" for nothing!

• Greenie 1

Aspley used to be our base, so traveled the Huddersfield several times with differing experiences. Going up we had a tyre wrapped around the prop, 2 hours of struggle in a lock through the weed hatch to remove, numerous occasions of sitting on the bottom until water had been let down. We draft around 2' 6" and 62' long. There is a very tight turn just after Milnsbridge (going up) which is quite deceiving, got caught out a time or two there getting caught on the edge.

Going down we had a concrete lintel stuck behind a gate, so bottom gate would not open until CART came by and hooked it out, same lock, top gate would not open for some reason, we had to use the boat and rope to pull it open. Coming out of a couple of locks the by-wash was so severe that it pinned the boat in the bridge hole at the back end and the front against the towpath, plenty of power and pushing on the wall got us free.

The tunnel is an absolute marvel, we have done it about 12 times and every time it amazes how it was built, the chaperones are very knowledgeable, giving tips on where to be in the tunnel as it is not straight in some bits. Mind your head on the pins which stick out of the top. Hard hat is well worth it.

It is a very demanding canal but well worth the trip.

Have a beer on the bench at lock 29E, my Dads memorial bench is there which CART let us renovate and add a plaque.

Hi, I can't add anything to the question of draft as we draw quite a bit less than you (and had no problems in this regard). But it really is a stunning canal so definitely worth all the locks. Some charming villages too and I think the Diggle flight is my favourite on the system. Enjoy!

It is 9W that has the indicator- the pound to 10W is very short and also shallow so it's easy to run out of water with even a shallow draft boat. The leaking cill and bottom gates on 9w have been replaced so it is better these days, but still beware.

Yes, I misremembered the number. The gauge is just like a lock tail gauge but upside down!

Yes, I misremembered the number. The gauge is just like a lock tail gauge but upside down!

Edited to say that having been over the HNC at least once a year since 2006, I have noticed that things have improved considerably in that time. It is almost like a 'normal' canal now! But not quite.

Thanks for all of your replies - a real mine of useful information!

Definitely going to give the HNC a go once the stoppage at Marple clears. Its been on my list for a long time. Planning to go down the Rochdale afterwards too.

Hi, I can't add anything to the question of draft as we draw quite a bit less than you (and had no problems in this regard). But it really is a stunning canal so definitely worth all the locks. Some charming villages too and I think the Diggle flight is my favourite on the system. Enjoy!

Diggle is good I do accept, interesting paddle gear with double ground paddles on the offside .... but not as nice as Marsden IMO!

P1040835.jpg

20150621_134758.jpg

P1040836.jpg

Just before Christmas I had the dubious pleasure of battling the C&RT Tug "Shoveller" up and down the Huddersfield Very Narrow Canal. The Shoveller draws about 3ft 8" Which is a lot. We got her and a pan up to Wool Rd which is above lock 23W without too much hassle. It was not the fastest of trips, but we did get through so I think 2ft 7" isn't a problem at all. Be aware that although the channel is good, there are not that many places where there is deep water at the edge, this includes lock landings. That is how it was built it is not due to a lack of maintenance.

I should also point out we had more problems on the Macc with the Shoveller than we did on the HVNC.

--

cheers Ian Mac

• Greenie 1