Waeco CDF 26 Coolbox Freezer

dmr

Featured Posts

Have just noticed this device, does anybody have one or have any experience of them?

Its a portable coolbox but is compressor based and can be turned right down (up?) to work like a little chest freezer.

Waeco claim just 0.44 to 0.67 A-h as a fridge. We have asked about freezer mode and they estimate 1.2A-h. Sounds slightly too good to be true.

Its almost tempting to ditch our ageing and slightly troublesome fridge-freezer and get a bigger fridge plus one of these as a freezer for only a slight increase in total power consumption. Just need to find a bit of space somewhere. Could almost build a box to turn the cold box into a seat and sit on it!

.............Dave

Hi

We've got one on the boat but I can't remember which model it is but it does look slightly different. They are expensive but they are really efficient and flexible. We have ours as a beer fridge set at 1 degree C. I ought it so we could also use it as a freezer by turning it down to minimum. I would highly recommend it!

​Cheers

Andrew

We're having one on our new boat, which is almost ready. I love the fact that you can plug it into the 12V system on the car when you are travelling to and from the boat.

PS I'm going to update that picture soon!

Compressor fridges are notorious for not starting up if the wiring is not good, on boats its common to run a dedicated circuit to the fridge using thick cables. It will be interesting to see how this coolbox behaves when plugged into a variety of typical 12 volt sockets. I assume they are using a new model of compressor.

................Dave

• 4 years later...

I thought I would resurrect this old post as I'm thinking of buying a Dometic CDF 26 cool box-style fridge/freezer. I know that they are an old model now (which you can still buy new) but I'm limited to a certain gap size for one to fit in - newer models are bigger and won't fit.

Does anybody have any experience of this particular model?

Thanks

Joe

14 minutes ago, JoeC said:

I thought I would resurrect this old post as I'm thinking of buying a Dometic CDF 26 cool box-style fridge/freezer. I know that they are an old model now (which you can still buy new) but I'm limited to a certain gap size for one to fit in - newer models are bigger and won't fit.

Does anybody have any experience of this particular model?

Thanks

Joe

I'd simply say "read the manual before buying".

The manual (page 6) says that you should not use it without the vehicle engine running.

(The old electrolux 12v fridges used to say that even if you stopped in 'the services' for the toilet you must switch off the fridge because you would not be able to start the car when you came back).

On 06/02/2017 at 19:43, dmr said:

Have just noticed this device, does anybody have one or have any experience of them?

Its a portable coolbox but is compressor based and can be turned right down (up?) to work like a little chest freezer.

Waeco claim just 0.44 to 0.67 A-h as a fridge. We have asked about freezer mode and they estimate 1.2A-h. Sounds slightly too good to be true.

Its almost tempting to ditch our ageing and slightly troublesome fridge-freezer and get a bigger fridge plus one of these as a freezer for only a slight increase in total power consumption. Just need to find a bit of space somewhere. Could almost build a box to turn the cold box into a seat and sit on it!

.............Dave

Did you buy one ?

I’d like to know how you got on with it. 
I’ve read reviews reckoning coolboxes don’t freeze down to the temperatures -18C or -20C that the makers say they can.

5 hours ago, Goliath said:

Did you buy one ?

I’ve read reviews reckoning coolboxes don’t freeze down to the temperatures -18C or -20C that the makers say they can.

No I was hoping somebody else might have some first hand experience. "If something sounds too good to be true it probably is", and "never believe everything you read the adverts".  Our compressor fridge is over ten years old now and can't go on much longer but we will likely take the easy route and do a like for like replacement. We have an under-counter fridge freezer but each part has its own door (not a fridge with a freezer compartment) and there is little choice available, probably only two to choose from.  

On 14/01/2022 at 12:29, Goliath said:

Did you buy one ?

IIRC no coolbox maker claims that, what they claim is temp below ambient which is rather different.

Edited by Slow and Steady

2 minutes ago, waterworks said:

I'd like to know why a new replacement control PCB on Danfoss BD35F compressors is £130-160 , this is causing fridges to be dumped all over the place just because the repair is uneconomical. 

1. Because they can

2. Market forces

3. cost of holding stock for items that (may not) fail.

Mine is 30+ years old and still works (I hope)....