Newbie...Trojan t105

Leon 12

Featured Posts

The electrolyte was full, they haven't lost any. Will top up if required in future.

That's puzzling, given this earlier:

If you know of any chargers that give out 16.2 volts on an equalisation charge let me know. The sterling gives out 15.5 volts, that is the charge current I applied for 5 hours which resulted in tail current of 7.5 amps. Could stratification be the cause with my undercharging and low discharges?

When I equalise for five hours, I expect to have to add about a third of a litre of de-ionised water to each battery. Were your cells actually bubbling?

And the uniformly high density of your electrolyte suggests no sulphation in the first place. Did you check the density before starting the equalisation cycle?

Jeeeeeeeeeeesus h you know what. Thank the Lord for good old cheap and cheerfull batteries that bin every 2/3 years rather than all this faffing about wink.png

I managed to trash my last set of cheapos in three months so I dunno how you're making yours last 2/3 years. (Unless you mean 2/3 of a year, i.e. eight months lol.)

This time around despite being pretty careful (but not careful enough) I've taken almost six months to trash my expensive(ish) set of Trojanoids.

I managed to trash my last set of cheapos in three months so I dunno how you're making yours last 2/3 years. (Unless you mean 2/3 of a year, i.e. eight months lol.)

This time around despite being pretty careful (but not careful enough) I've taken almost six months to trash my expensive(ish) set of Trojanoids.

I think you are dead unlucky Mike or maybe you go to work with low batteries and dont have time evry evening to charge them up again or somett? I am in a position to charge mine whenever they drop to 12.2 or 12.3 usualy and that is every day so they do not get left for days on end. I do buy slightly posher cheap of late so these are Britmarine which are now 89 each 74.50 when I bought them tho I am not convinced its not just a badge excercise.

You really are a battery murderer. What do you do to them? Or more likely what don't you do to them?

yeah the gravity tests were high, voltage high only capacity low very low. Which from what I read leads me to believe stratification. Bubbling and spitting nicely. but no water loss. still very full. one 8th of an ich below fill level. I know im new to the boating game. Stratification results in false reading ie high but low capacity. the plates were and and are as clean as a whistle. liquid clear just very low %. Even as I said the battery icon always said high voltage but low on the full. I think ive always had them 80% and never gone below what I thought was 90%. So very shallow discharge and never knew about tail current. So as soon as hit float I thought (oh full)(. I might be wrong ......

You really are a battery murderer. What do you do to them? Or more likely what don't you do to them?

Almost all of the time I spend on my boat in the week is between the hours of 8pm and 8am, i.e. outside of the hours running of engines is permitted.

I have quite frugal electrical needs so I have a battery bank big enough to last a week between charges without going below 50% SoC.

Each weekend I charge them to 100% SoC but experience illustrates this pattern of use is killing them.

Stratification (where the electrolyte settles into layers, or strata of different specific densities) is unlikely on a boat that moves regularly and has its batteries regularly charged, even if it is not to 100%. It mainly affects batteries in fixed structures which are not regularly charged. Charging to the point of gassing, typically 80% charged or above, pretty much guarantees that stratification cannot occur.

Edited to correct autowrong.

Edited by cuthound

Absolutely. Stratification isn't at play here as has already been said.

I know it had already been pointed out that his batteries weren't stratified. I was hoping to ensure that the OP understood what stratification is and what causes it and how to cure it.

I know it had already been pointed out that his batteries weren't stratified. I was hoping to ensure that the OP understood what stratification is and what causes it and how to cure it.

Absolutely. I wasn't criticising you for your great explanation I was rather pointing out to OP that when he's been clearly told that it's not stratification he shouldn't really follow that up with a post which reads 'from my reading I wonder if it could be stratification'...

• Haha 1

Absolutely. I wasn't criticising you for your great explanation I was rather pointing out to OP that when he's been clearly told that it's not stratification he shouldn't really follow that up with a post which reads 'from my reading I wonder if it could be stratification'...

I didn't think you were criticising me, I was trying to do the same as you. Great minds think know alike... (at least I hope that's the relevant part of that quotation that applies to us) :)

But you are forgetting that the only correct information comes from American websites on battery care - Many years of real life experience & expertise has no place in this discussion.

yeah the gravity tests were high, voltage high only capacity low very low. Which from what I read leads me to believe stratification. Bubbling and spitting nicely. but no water loss. still very full. one 8th of an ich below fill level. I know im new to the boating game. Stratification results in false reading ie high but low capacity. (snip)

Absolutely. Stratification isn't at play here as has already been said.

And, even if it was, would it not result in low s.g. readings, rather than high?

Perhaps they are lonely.

Its a well known and widely documented fact that if you have the King of batteries " Mr Trojan " rolleyes.gif then they must be given names and read a story each night before bed and being tucked up with nice fluffy blankets and a good drink of water. If this regime is not strictly adhered to they do indeed sulk.

• Greenie 2

Ok no stratification then, maybe some Duracell 9 volts will be better lol. Going to upload some pics to here of work I've done. Popped to boat, voltage was 12.8. The input from solar was 0.24 kwh, the victron said 10.8 ah used, the smart gauge at 93%. Something to make me smile cratch cover and stern cover to be made. Templates this week.

Its a well known and widely documented fact that if you have the King of batteries " Mr Trojan " rolleyes.gif then they must be given names and read a story each night before bed and being tucked up with nice fluffy blankets and a good drink of water. If this regime is not strictly adhered to they do indeed sulk.

I bet you have got some well cosseted Trojans Tim

You just get your Missus to Fuss over them,after all they were probably her Birthday Presentbiggrin.png

the victron said 10.8 ah used, the smart gauge at 93%. .

If I am understanding your post, then your 100% capacity (as of today) is around 150Ah

You do not appear to be getting anywhere near recovering your 475Ah original capacity.

(7% = 10.8Ah, therefore 1% = 1.5Ah, therefore 100% = 150Ah)