Ducati. Not boaty.

fudd

Featured Posts

I think my bikes engine may have siezed. I can't kick it over and I can't push it in gear with the clutch in. I put diesel down the bores a month ago and still no luck. Has anyone got any ideas as to what it could be? It's been stored in an insulated dry garage for a year or so.

The safest way to test for siezure is to remove the spark plugs and attempt to turn the engine over using a socket on the crankshaft pulley bolt. It is important on a Duration not too use too much force in case it is the camshaft that is seized other wise the belts can slip and cause bent valves etc. It is unusual for them to seize unless they have been unused for a long while.

Ian

07704 249 523

The safest way to test for siezure is to remove the spark plugs and attempt to turn the engine over using a socket on the crankshaft pulley bolt. It is important on a Duration not too use too much force in case it is the camshaft that is seized other wise the belts can slip and cause bent valves etc. It is unusual for them to seize unless they have been unused for a long while.

Ian

07704 249 523[/quote

It's a bevel twin. It's not been left standing to sieze. I'm hoping it's mechanical rather than piston siezure.

http://s1103.photobucket.com/user/ffuudd/media/Snapbucket/0D00B6BB_zps3a762e46.jpg.html

Many years ago a friend of mine stored his big single Yamaha in a shed while he went to New Zealand. When he came back and tried starting it, he bent the exhaust valve because it had rusted and seized up. He had sprayed the outside of everything in WD40 and had inadvertently sealed some condensation in the decompression cable, that then ran down onto the exhaust valve. As your bike has desmodronic valves, is it possible it has a seized valve, and the cam is holding it tight?

As ianali said.

Also, the clutch plates sometimes get stuck so though one pulls the leaver the thing remains engaged. GENTLY! push the bike backwards and forwards, in gear, with the lever pulled in.

If all else fails I'll swap your silver one for my red one. (1994 600SS) rolleyes.gif

If you have no luck

I have owned and worked on the Ducati V twins (and various old and new machines)

I may still have some manuals and tools

From your profile location you are not to far away im near Stevenage and i might be able to come over if you are stuck

As ianali said.

Also, the clutch plates sometimes get stuck so though one pulls the leaver the thing remains engaged. GENTLY! push the bike backwards and forwards, in gear, with the lever pulled in.

If all else fails I'll swap your silver one for my red one. (1994 600SS) rolleyes.gif

I bet you would?

If you have no luck

I have owned and worked on the Ducati V twins (and various old and new machines)

I may still have some manuals and tools

From your profile location you are not to far away im near Stevenage and i might be able to come over if you are stuck

Ok thanks. I'll pm my number if I need help.

Many years ago a friend of mine stored his big single Yamaha in a shed while he went to New Zealand. When he came back and tried starting it, he bent the exhaust valve because it had rusted and seized up. He had sprayed the outside of everything in WD40 and had inadvertently sealed some condensation in the decompression cable, that then ran down onto the exhaust valve. As your bike has desmodronic valves, is it possible it has a seized valve, and the cam is holding it tight?

I don't think it has. It hasn't been left long enough. I use straight 50 in it and it clings really well.

Pull the plugs.

In gear & rock back 'n forth gently.

Believe it or not coke [cola] down the bores can clear rust off the rings.

The rocking usually gives a bit of movement.

Also check sump level.

May have petrol in?

This will hydraulock the engine.

If we are talking about a 1970s V twin, one failure mode was a fracture in the crankshaft drive to the cam (bevel shaft) drive such that the camshaft stopped rotating. If you are unlucky the camshaft could have stopped with a valve open thus jamming the piston (but allowing some rotation the other way). Take the rocker cover off and check that the valve mechanism moves with crank rotation (if you can turn it backwards a bit). The crank failure was a corrosion induced crack that I suppose could develop during a period of non-use to the point of failure.