Bulkhead size

Gal

Featured Posts

They will normally fit diagonally through the front doorway. It's much better and easier to make a template of the required shape and cut them outside of the boat. It's catch 22 ! If you are using the shell as your storage area. You need to buy in bulk to get the cost down but moving the sheets around inside the boat as you work burns up time and energy and slows progress. It's better to buy as required and install the sheets before buying the next batch. Cutting four foot wide sheets in a six foot wide area is one of the great joys of fitting out.

Best of luck with the project.

Mike.

How do you get an 8'x4' sheet of 18mm ply into a narrowboat. I havnt tried yet, but is it possible ?

Depends on the narrow boat obviously, but on many I would guess it is not.

Our Flamingo uses sheets that are probably nearly full size to line the hull sides. However they must have gone in when it was originally converted to leave an area of open hold at the front. Since then the cabin has been extended fully forward, and we have no way of getting anything a lot bigger than a half sheet in and out. This presents us with some challenges.

When I was using 8 x 4 materials to refit the centre part of our previous boat, the initial cutting up had to be outside. A cut and approximately shaped bulkhead, redy for final trimming, would go through available doors, an 8 x 4 most certainly would not have done.

They will normally fit diagonally through the front doorway. It's much better and easier to make a template of the required shape and cut them outside of the boat. It's catch 22 ! If you are using the shell as your storage area. You need to buy in bulk to get the cost down but moving the sheets around inside the boat as you work burns up time and energy and slows progress. It's better to buy as required and install the sheets before buying the next batch. Cutting four foot wide sheets in a six foot wide area is one of the great joys of fitting out.

Best of luck with the project.

Mike.

Yes, yes, yes. Getting the boards in I can do, but working on them inside the boat has been a complete pain.