Shurflo 2088 Series on-demand fresh water pumps

NB Alnwick

Featured Posts

When we bought our boat in 2005, it was fitted with a Shurflo Aqua-King 2088 on-demand fresh water pump which runs on 24 VDC and delivers at a rate of three gallons a minute with a maximum pressure of 45 PSI. This pump is no longer supplied by chandlers and appears to have been replaced by the 3900 series which I have tried and found to be inferior - especially in terms of endurance and resilience.

In the early days, when the pump failed we simply replaced it with a new one and we always kept a spare on board because like so many things boaty - it will fail when you most need it and are least able to source a replacement.

I recently discovered that the tried and tested 2088 series pumps are still available for industrial and 'Recreational Vehicle' use and that the only 'marine' aspect of the old Aqua-King was its motor. With the pumps that failed, it was always due to pump-head components such as leaking diaphragms, distorted flanges or pressure switch failures. The robust 24 VDC motors always remained sound.

Buying a replacement pump-head or individual parts is possible but they generally need to be imported from the USA and transatlantic shipping is often more expensive than the parts.

My solution has been to buy a cheap 12 VDC version of the pump (sold as the 'Trail-King') from a UK Caravan supplier, I remove the pump-head and fit that new pump-head to one of the original Aqua-King 24 VDC motors. The job takes no more than a few minutes and is much cheaper than buying one of the new pumps from a chandler.

"In the early days, when the pump failed " !!!!!

I became fed up with them quite some time ago.

The joint between the two casings fail, even after fitting a service kit.

I've have had an American, I think, FloJet which has run so reliably for 11 years in daily use.

Albeit all 12 volt .

James

Edited by JamesWoolcock