Mooring Question

MixingWizard

Featured Posts

Hello all,

I'm new to the world of boating, but I've fallen for the live-aboard concept, and it looks like it will fit perfectly to my lifestyle. I spend most of my time working away from home (I'm only really home a couple of nights a week at most.) It seems mad to pay so much for rent when all I need is a peaceful place to sleep and relax.

I've done a fair amount of research, and I've put together a budget of roughly £15,000 to spend on a boat (it seems like there are a few in reasonable condition at that price, I plan on renovating much of it myself.)

My question is mainly about the mooring type I should look for - I figure I need to find somewhere to put it before I buy! Would my situation require a dedicated residential mooring or would I get away with a recreational one? I have a dedicated office-space elsewhere that I can use as a permanent address and work/stay whenever I need so I don't need a postal address. I plan on using solar power as I won't need much power, and I can use mobile internet. All I really need is a dedicated parking spot, a water supply and the freedom to stay for a few nights a week. I'm hoping to avoid paying council tax as well.

I'd love to hear your thoughts on my situation.

Many thanks,

Louis

Lots of people get away with living on a leisure mooring, and in your circumstances (postal address elsewhere, and often sleeping elsewhere) it shouldn't be too difficult if you keep a low profile, not too much noise or smoke from your stove. But the availability of suitable moorings depends on location, so in your shoes I would do the same and look into that before you buy a boat. If relying on solar power in winter you'd need to be very frugal with power use (e.g. do without a fridge all winter), but many marina moorings do come with a shoreline.

Where do you hope to keep the boat? York?

Thanks for the replies! That's good to know, as the costs were really starting to stack up otherwise.

I'm hoping to find somewhere near York, I mostly work in York and Hull, with some work in Bradford and Newcastle, so somewhere between them would be fine. I'm rather fond of York and the surrounding area.

...personally, in your shoes, I'd be tempted to do without a mooring altogether and just meander around the Yorkshire waterways, but obviously you wouldn't then have the 'home comforts' of a marina (parking space, water supply, electricity when needed). If moving frequently sounds like something you'd enjoy, you could look into it; if it sounds like a chore, don't bother. But as I find myself saying quite often to new forum members thinking about moving aboard a boat, I urge you not to miss the opportunity to do at least some cruising.

Hi magictime,

I love the idea of permanently cruising, but it wouldn't be practical for me as I might be away from home for a month or longer without much in the way of notice. Don't get me wrong though, I spent many weeks cruising the canals with my dad when I was younger and would love to do so again in my free time. Not to mention, if I have time to travel I could bring my home to work instead of getting hotels! I can't wait :-)

Hi magictime,

I love the idea of permanently cruising, but it wouldn't be practical for me as I might be away from home for a month or longer without much in the way of notice. Don't get me wrong though, I spent many weeks cruising the canals with my dad when I was younger and would love to do so again in my free time. Not to mention, if I have time to travel I could bring my home to work instead of getting hotels! I can't wait :-)

Ah, OK, Yes, a month would be too long to leave your boat just on the towpath somewhere. Good to hear you're planning to get some cruising in, though - Yorkshire is not short of waterways to explore even if you only have a few days here and there.