chimney length

Featured Posts

The manual for your stove should recommend a minimum chimney height; it's often around 4 metres. This is impracticable for a boat that moves. Stoves seem to get by with only a short extension on the roof. A stove will 'draw' better with a longer chimney but I would replace like with like if you've had no problems to date.

I wouldn't have though it would make any real difference whether the chimney outside the boat was 300mm or 500mm long. Think of the total flue length and see how small the percentage change is.

It will be around a difference of about 10% of the total flue length, so not an insignificant amount.

I was looking at the Hobbit stove web site and they have a flue guide based upon the "British Standard BS 8511:2010 Code of practice for the installation of solid fuel heating and cooking appliances in small craft" and it includes (obviously for when the stove is in use) -

Height from stove top to Flue top whilst moored = min 2m
Chimney when moored a minimum 600mm above the deck
Chimney when underway a minimum of 150mm above the deck
So from a best practice viewpoint, the above should answer your question.
Edited by Chewbacka
  • Greenie 1

It will be around a difference of about 10% of the total flue length, so not an insignificant amount.

I wasn't questioning the arithmetic (which I can manage quite well despite my advanced age) but whether the 10% makes a noticeable difference apart from being able to get under bridges.

I have no chimney fitted at the moment and have no problems, either lighting the stove or keeping it in.

Tar on the roof?

Both my chimneys are down to about 2 inch with something looking like cement. I wonder how hard this will be to remove. My flue is sloped from stove to roof collar so I don't think rattling a chain will work, any suggestions? Is this stuff easier to shift warm or cold?

It can also be affected by other objects nearby, such as walls or other boats. 200mm might just make the difference between a stove suffering downdrafts filling the boat with smoke and not.

With smoke comes Carbon Monoxide too, so quite deadly, a silent killer.

As well as a smoke alarm, fit a Carbon Monoxide alarm too.

Even though they are not a requirement, it is recommended that they are fitted. There are at least two major hirecraft companies on the Norfolk Broads that now fit both as standard to all their fleet. Several of us have been campaigning to get them fitted, but the BSS are a harder nut to crack lol

Third party CO can kill too. Running engines, generators, gas or diesel heaters, fuel burning stoves, can create CO which can enter other boats, there is a greater risk when boats are stern moored, like on popular mooring places on the Broads, but can also be an issue on double moored boats on the canals and rivers etc.

With smoke comes Carbon Monoxide too, so quite deadly, a silent killer.

As well as a smoke alarm, fit a Carbon Monoxide alarm too.

Even though they are not a requirement, it is recommended that they are fitted. There are at least two major hirecraft companies on the Norfolk Broads that now fit both as standard to all their fleet. Several of us have been campaigning to get them fitted, but the BSS are a harder nut to crack lol

Third party CO can kill too. Running engines, generators, gas or diesel heaters, fuel burning stoves, can create CO which can enter other boats, there is a greater risk when boats are stern moored, like on popular mooring places on the Broads, but can also be an issue on double moored boats on the canals and rivers etc.

I believe it's now mandatory for hire boats to have carbon/smoke alarms.

Looks like it's April now, thought it was Jan.

http://www.boatsafetyscheme.org/boat-examination/hire-boats-(2017)/

Direct link to the changes here: http://www.boatsafetyscheme.org/boat-examination/hire-boats-(2017)/additional-hire-boat-requirements/

Interestingly (and stupidly), CO alarms are only required if a solid fuel burner is fitted.

Edited to fix the broken URL.

Edited by WotEver

I think all good hire companies will have fitted CO and smoke detectors already. They are cheap and no one wants to lose repeat customers.

Most businesses have codes of conduct which adopt such measures before they become legally mandated.

Edited by mross