Total Newbie (Not even got a boat yet)

Wookiee

Featured Posts

That makes me feel much better, thanks.

.............Dave

That's OK. Just wouldn't have wanted Blair getting the blame/credit [delete as applicable] for something he didn't do. Feel free to apportion blame/credit for his own approach to upping attendance figures, which was to introduce tuition fees in order to fund an increase in the number of people going to university. IMHO he deserves quite a bit of both.

Edited by magictime

only if you pay council tax somewhere.........................

Sorry to jump in late, but this simply isn't true. Many, many people do not pay any direct Council Tax. For example, with the majority of house shares, the individual tenants do not pay Council Tax, it's paid by the Landlord who then sets the rent at a rate which covers his/her costs.

Council tax is a tax on property not people, if you live in a property were someone else is paying then YOU don't pay. If we reverted back to Poll Tax or introduced a local income tax or similar then it would place the tax liability on the individual.

Every household has to pay council tax, not every individual. If your only residence is a boat you must pay council tax.

https://www.gov.uk/council-tax/who-has-to-pay

You've repeated this all through this thread. You seem to be very sure of yourself, as I am equally sure that you're wrong. Can you provide any evidence to back up your assertion?

It does seem that continuous cruisers are able to exploit a loophole. But if you are on a mooring you ought to be paying, either directly or by contributing to the landowner's costs in your mooring fee. I did provide links which backup what I have said. I agree that there are some grey areas.

It does seem that continuous cruisers are able to exploit a loophole. But if you are on a mooring you ought to be paying, either directly or by contributing to the landowner's costs in your mooring fee. I did provide links which backup what I have said. I agree that there are some grey areas.

No, I am not exploiting a loophole, I would like to pay council tax (to put an end to these continuing silly arguments from non liveaboards if nothing else) but I can not pay council tax and so do not pay council tax, I am not required to pay council tax, this is the current legal situation, not a loophole.

Now, I do use a relatives address as a "home" address so maybe I should give them some money to pay for the services that I do not use at that address?

but, there are already two adults at that address so adding myself and my wife does NOT require any extra payment. This should be off much more concern to the council tax purists because it means that many many people in 3+ person households are not paying council tax, far far more than a few liveaboard boaters.

...............Dave

................Dave

well said dave ...i wish i could find a loophole to dive in lol come april i will start cruising .and will do so till the end of oct .if not november ...but in the mean time i will still have to pay for my moorings and my c/t .and thats the way it is ....ccs dont pay c/t and thats the way that is ..and so it should be .to my way of thinking ..some people are envious of the cc.s me included .they the cc.s are not getting away with anything ...

So does that answer your question?

And if it doesnt just remember if you live in a house you dont have to you can bin it and live on a boat in a wig wam or bus or tent or..............???? house dwelling and associated costs are not yet mandatory

Edited by mrsmelly
  • Greenie 1