Greenland Arm, Sheffield Canal

Heartland

Featured Posts

Looking through some of the B Baxter negatives, I came across images for the Greenland Arm, which he took in 1934. They show a disused canal. The 1850's Ordnance Survey shows a canal arm that served coal pits near Tinsley Park, It would appear that the function of this waterway was coal transport, but has any member of this site ever noticed it?

I can't say I've noticed it, but the Sheffield East End History Trail No 1 guided walk book The Sheffield and Tinsley Canal (1997) says that it was filled in to become part of what's now Greenland Road. It's to the right of Broughton Lane Bridge and connected the canal to the Duke of Norfolk's mines at Darnall, according to the book.

The Greenland Arm is visible on the OS 6 inch map of 1850-51.

http://maps.nls.uk/view/102345223#zoom=5&lat=8395&lon=3138&layers=BT

By 1889/91 it looks as if the arm may be cut off from the main line, and the terminal basin is marked as bog:

http://maps.nls.uk/view/100950128#zoom=4&lat=4370&lon=3504&layers=BT

The arm had gone by 1921.

http://maps.nls.uk/view/100950122#zoom=4&lat=4474&lon=3593&layers=BT

Edited by David Mack

Completely smiley_offtopic.gif but there was once a wonderful steam shed at Darnall:

Sheffield+Darnall+-+1949.jpg

http://shedbashuk.blogspot.co.uk/2013_08_23_archive.html

Yes, there was, and I remember my dad taking me round it (I think he slipped the foreman five bob to guarantee our entry) when I was about ten. Lots of O4 freight locomotives, as I recall.

• 2 weeks later...

The canal known as the Greenland Arm served pre-existing mines on land where the Duke of Norfolk was Lord of the Manor. There was a tramway from the end of the arm that was laid to the mines at High Hazels. Part of the line was made as an incline. Greenland Colliery closed at an early date, but later (c1868) Nunnery Colliery was sank to exploit the deeper coal mines. High Hazels Colliery also reopened but the relaid tramway only went as far as a landsale wharf

• 3 years later...
On 28/01/2017 at 18:16, Heartland said:

Looking through some of the B Baxter negatives, I came across images for the Greenland Arm, which he took in 1934. They show a disused canal. The 1850's Ordnance Survey shows a canal arm that served coal pits near Tinsley Park, It would appear that the function of this waterway was coal transport, but has any member of this site ever noticed it?

Whereabouts did you find these negatives? A library, on-line, book? Would be interested in seeing the Greenland Arm. I've driven on it on numerous occasions as it is now mostly under  the southbound carriageway of Greenland Road! Also traced it on the National Library of Scotland side by side maps. Searched the Sheffield Council library on-line photo archive, but no pics of the area early enough to show it.

Jen

The Baxter Collection is in RCHS hands. It comprises 120 negs, or larger, lantern slides, maps and prints and starts in the late 1920's. Bertram Baxter was mainly interested in tramways at the time, although there are various canal images in the collection.

Hopefully some images may be made more readily available in the future. 

On 04/01/2021 at 19:38, buccaneer66 said:

I received feedback from the site owner to add this arm to canalmaponline today, anyone here send it in?

Not guilty yer'onour.

2 hours ago, Heartland said:

The Baxter Collection is in RCHS hands. It comprises 120 negs, or larger, lantern slides, maps and prints and starts in the late 1920's. Bertram Baxter was mainly interested in tramways at the time, although there are various canal images in the collection.

Hopefully some images may be made more readily available in the future. 

Thanks!

46 minutes ago, buccaneer66 said:

Feel free to add to it Jen

Done! I've sent in grid references for the junction with the Sheff & Tinsley and the end of the basin.

A picture of where the arm left the canal here

Edited by Jen-in-Wellies
  • Greenie 1

The Ship Canal to Sheffield was one of several schemes to improve navigation to British Industry

The Greenland Arm and the basin for the tramway from Tinsley Park are shown at the bottom.

The Greenland Arm terminated by Greenland Colliery and there were also two tramway links to the end of the Greenland Basin. One short line from a pit to the west and a longer one that went to another pit to the south east. This long line had an incline plane to the shaft.

This section of map is reproduced from the original ordnance survey sheet 82, (1840)

450060.png

• 3 weeks later...
23 hours ago, buccaneer66 said:

I've added this to canalmap for the next update, does anyone have a map of the route of the Greasbrough branch off the Rotherham cut?

Thanks!

For the Greasbrough branch, no map, but a good history and description here. The author, if he is still with us, might be able to help with a map. It seems the maps produced were made after it was built and may not necessarily reflect what was on the ground. The modern map shows roughly where it went from Parkgate to the region around Cinder Bridge. It terminated somewhere beyond that in what is now Wentworth Park. An older map would help with interpreting the route. No idea what is on the ground now, but some of the modern lanes and drives will likely still be on top of the route after it was converted in to a carriage drive.

Jen

Edited by Jen-in-Wellies