Cropredy Towpath Hedge - at last!

NB Alnwick

Featured Posts

Be aware that contractors are currently cropping the towpath hedge south of Cropredy Wharf Bridge No 153. This appears to be a substantial task because during the past ten years since the hedge was last 'trimmed' some fairly significant trees have developed to heights of 12 feet or more. My only concern is that despite numerous complaints about this overgrowing hedge from boaters - including from ourselves, it would seem that this work is being done to appease the adjacent occupier and, if that is the case, my fear is that the work will be halted before it gets anywhere near our mooring.

The reasons why we wanted the hedge to be trimmed include:

Where it overhangs, walkers and boaters can be injured by the overhanging brambles - especially after dark;

The high hedge stops the sun from melting ice and snow so that in Winter the towpath remains hazardous for longer;

The high hedge prevents us from getting a good TV/Satellite signal;

Be aware that contractors are currently cropping the towpath hedge south of Cropredy Wharf Bridge No 153. This appears to be a substantial task because during the past ten years since the hedge was last 'trimmed' some fairly significant trees have developed to heights of 12 feet or more. My only concern is that despite numerous complaints about this overgrowing hedge from boaters - including from ourselves, it would seem that this work is being done to appease the adjacent occupier and, if that is the case, my fear is that the work will be halted before it gets anywhere near our mooring.

Where it overhangs, walkers and boaters can be injured by the overhanging brambles - especially after dark;

The high hedge stops the sun from melting ice and snow so that in Winter the towpath remains hazardous for longer;

You missed the important one if you want CRT to take note, It impedes the cyclists

As an occasional visitor to Cropredy, mainly for the Festival, I have to say the footpath between Wharf Road Bridge and Cropredy Mill Bridge has been pretty ropey for a few years now.

Any work being done to improve it has to be a benefit to all.

No self-respecting cyclist would risk a valuable treader along that section of towpath, too many cracks to lose a front wheel in.

See you all for this year's Festival.

Edited by lockedout

Welcome back Graham biggrin.png

As an occasional visitor to Cropredy, mainly for the Festival, I have to say the footpath between Wharf Road Bridge and Cropredy Mill Bridge has been pretty ropey for a few years now.

Any work being done to improve it has to be a benefit to all.

No self-respecting cyclist would risk a valuable treader along that section of towpath, too many cracks to lose a front wheel in.

See you all for this year's Festival.

...before which I may not need, as I have done for the last three years, to go along it before the festival with my clippers, snipping off foliage, , brambles and nettles which may impede the progress of pedestrians. I usually start at the town bridge and get a bit further than our mooring.

Plenty of cyclists use the towpath, which as far as I can see is in very good condition all the way from the road bridge to the Old Mill bridge. What's the problem? The cracks start to appear further towards Banbury, though the first hundred yards or so beyond the Old Mill Bridge were extensively renovated by CART in (I think) 2015.

Graham, I assume the adjacent landowners are the caravan site people. Do they not like the privacy afforded to their campers by the thick hedge? If they don't can't they trim their side of it themselves?

I must have cycled past this in August, as I rode down the towpath from Fenny Compton to Banbury, so sadly it doesn't impede them that much...

The towpath itself is much improved but there are still some difficult dips toward Banbury. Having said that, when I am cycling, I only use the towpath to get to the nearest road access - in my view a bicycle is a vehicle best used on the highway.

The towpath itself is much improved but there are still some difficult dips toward Banbury. Having said that, when I am cycling, I only use the towpath to get to the nearest road access - in my view a bicycle is a vehicle best used on the highway.

I wouldn't personally recommend this length for cycling unless you are using the bike as a "slightly faster and less effort than walking" option - I needed to get to Banbury Station and didn't fancy the road from Fenny on a Brompton (or on anything else), I took about 3 hours over it, which was faster than walking

Where you wearing Lycra?

As you may guess from the above, no I wasn't! I was wearing a certain amount of blood on my arms by the end of it though, so perhaps the brambles were an issue after all

Is there a towpath through/ alongside Fenny "tunnel"? I don't think it's visible from a boat, not along the entire length of the former tunnel anyway.

Yes, about ten feet above water level - heading south one goes over the cast iron bridge and then stays pretty much at that height until the end of the "tunnel"

Is there a towpath through/ alongside Fenny "tunnel"? I don't think it's visible from a boat, not along the entire length of the former tunnel anyway.

There certainly was a towpath and a crossover bridge still remains where the towpath changes sides. The towpath on the eastern was quite high up on the bank and subsequent tree growth means that it cannot be used for its original purpose because the towing line would be obstructed.