Help needed - Vanette GG7000 Oven/Grill unit

NB Alnwick

Featured Posts

Our boat is fitted with a Vanette GG7000 built in oven and grill - we also have the matching four burner hob. Both have given excellent service for the twelve years that we have been living aboard but recently the oven control knob has developed a fault. It will not turn back to the off position. Everything else's works fine including the thermostat flame regulation but we cannot turn it off. We have to extinguish the flame by turning off the gas isolation cock - fortunately this is close by and we have separate isolation taps for the oven unit and hob.

We can manage with the problem but it is probably a BSS failure and that is due again this year!

Can anyone suggest or recommend a gas fitter who could carry out the necessary repairs and service the oven and grill?

Best Wishes,

Graham & Jane, nb Alnwick, Cropredy.

Any caravan sites around there? mobile home sites? they will be familiar with the cooker, any gas engineer locally can fit it, Parts are available but seem to be a bit dear, could be about £125. Sorry.

Have you tried dismantling the control knob "works" yourself? They are usually pretty simple , give or take the odd spring here and there, and any faults are usually obvious.

Reassemble with a very light smear of silicone grease on the sealing bits.

N

Have you tried dismantling the control knob "works" yourself? They are usually pretty simple , give or take the odd spring here and there, and any faults are usually obvious.

Reassemble with a very light smear of silicone grease on the sealing bits.

N

Strangely I thought I'd already answered saying much the same. Take it to bits and see if you can figure out why it won't turn to OFF. You have nothing to lose!

I must have forgotten to press "Post".

I hesitate to suggest it in case it goes bang but I have fixed gas taps with a little bit of valve grinding paste and a bit of patience (and no money to buy a new part) Careful though as there are probably a dozen reasons why this will lead to the roof being blown off and me receiving a big bill from your solicitor.

Strangely I thought I'd already answered saying much the same. Take it to bits and see if you can figure out why it won't turn to OFF. You have nothing to lose!

I must have forgotten to press "Post".

Thanks Mike, I think I am getting lazy in my old age - these days the easy answer to new problems is to hire someone in rather than tackle it myself! I haven't yet figured how to get to it but as it is easy to isolate, I will 'have a go'

Thanks Mike, I think I am getting lazy in my old age - these days the easy answer to new problems is to hire someone in rather than tackle it myself! I haven't yet figured how to get to it but as it is easy to isolate, I will 'have a go'

Generally if you remove the oven from its housing, the gas control knob will be right 'there' on top!

Dismantling it usually involves nothing more than the right screwdrivers and small spanners. My guess though is that something inside will have broken, meaning a whole new gas control valve but given the price of it, best to find out for sure what is wrong with the old one.

And no I doubt you can buy spare parts for inside the gas control valve separately!

Theoven incorporates the thermostat, and any dismantling may upset calibration. If it won't turn off, then it could be something has broken and is jamming the mechanism. If it almost gets there, it may be worth trying some Rocol gas tap lubricant which can be applied into the tap by removing the gas feed pipe and working it. Worth trying before spending a lot on spares. At £125 ish + the cost of an fitter and you are not far off a new unit.

• 1 year later...