EA To Close Some Navigations

Alan de Enfield

Featured Posts

St Ives lock was closed on safety grounds about two months ago with no reopening date so perhaps it should be added.

It is interesting that the extract quoted from the minutes does not include C&RT's input.

I don't agree.

The guillotine gate at St Ives is faulty. As this is a very sizeable chunk of metal, with an equally heavy counterweight, they're not permitting boats through until it is fixed. (edit to add- I heard it was the chains supporting the gate that were faulty, so it makes sense to fix it properly!)

The difference is they are planning on fixing it!

Edited by FadeToScarlet

I know Welches Dam has been piled off for some years now, I don't know about the others.

When I had a wander down there it looked to me that the piling was doing nothing, with the water at the same level both sides of it and was actually being held back by the lock and lock gates.

post-261-0-85379600-1485709719_thumb.jpg

post-261-0-88857300-1485709728_thumb.jpg

I don't agree.

The guillotine gate at St Ives is faulty. As this is a very sizeable chunk of metal, with an equally heavy counterweight, they're not permitting boats through until it is fixed. (edit to add- I heard it was the chains supporting the gate that were faulty, so it makes sense to fix it properly!)

The difference is they are planning on fixing it!

There's a pattern here though. Denver lock was closed at very short notice last spring because the insurance inspection declared that the chains were worn beyond the safe limit. Roller chains do not suddenly wear, so both stoppages could well have been avoided by planned maintenance.

MP.

There's a pattern here though. Denver lock was closed at very short notice last spring because the insurance inspection declared that the chains were worn beyond the safe limit. Roller chains do not suddenly wear, so both stoppages could well have been avoided by planned maintenance.

MP.

You may well be right but H&S inspections are always somewhat subjective - at the very least dependent on what criteria and individuals choose to use. It is quite possible for a regular maintenance engineer to accept a given state, especially in the light of their local knowledge and a new person, with a different set of criteria, to reach a different conclusion - and yet nothing to be wrong with either of them.

You may well be right but H&S inspections are always somewhat subjective - at the very least dependent on what criteria and individuals choose to use. It is quite possible for a regular maintenance engineer to accept a given state, especially in the light of their local knowledge and a new person, with a different set of criteria, to reach a different conclusion - and yet nothing to be wrong with either of them.

I tend to side with MP here. A good inspection process should be repeatable and reliable so that it gives a consistent output despite the variances of human behaviour. If two engineers reach a different conclusion they probably aren't both right and at least one of them isn't being optimal.

JP

I tend to side with MP here. A good inspection process should be repeatable and reliable so that it gives a consistent output despite the variances of human behaviour. If two engineers reach a different conclusion they probably aren't both right and at least one of them isn't being optimal.

JP

What I am suggesting is that neither assessment was improperly conducted against its own criteria but that different perspectives yield different outcomes. Happens all the time.

In particular, it is not a technical matter to set a probability level - eg do you wish to protect against a 50 year flood or a 100 year flood?

What I am suggesting is that neither assessment was improperly conducted against its own criteria but that different perspectives yield different outcomes. Happens all the time.

In particular, it is not a technical matter to set a probability level - eg do you wish to protect against a 50 year flood or a 100 year flood?

I didn't misunderstand you. My point wasn't that if key decisions are made based on perception - as opposed to measured values and calculation of risk - then the process isn't totally fit for purpose in the modern world and could be improved.

JP

ETA - seems like most folk saw through the 'story' to the reality.

Edited by Captain Pegg

• 2 months later...
On ‎28‎/‎01‎/‎2017 at 13:46, PaulJ said:

But you only need one set of gates- as this intrepid narrowboater going onto the Old Bedford proves..

https://mobile.twitter.com/PaulSeparovicEA/status/795330772290912256/video/1

Even more intrepid now. I am rather jealous ...

http://www.foxboats.co.uk/old-bedford-river-conquered/

2 hours ago, nbfiresprite said:

Topic drift - slightly

The article in NBW above stated that there were only three manually operated guillotine gates left on the Nene.

A published IWA list states 6. Nos 18, 20, 21, 28, 30, 31. The document has no date on it,

So which is correct, please?    

3 hours ago, OldGoat said:

Topic drift - slightly

The article in NBW above stated that there were only three manually operated guillotine gates left on the Nene.

A published IWA list states 6. Nos 18, 20, 21, 28, 30, 31. The document has no date on it,

So which is correct, please?    

I am pretty sure there are still 6 - but others will be able to confirm.

I didn't really buy the argument in that article for leaving the guillotine gates up!

9 hours ago, Scholar Gypsy said:

Even more intrepid now. I am rather jealous ...

http://www.foxboats.co.uk/old-bedford-river-conquered/

I hadnt seen that.Thanks. A really fantastic effort which I think Im more in awe than jealous of. Dont think Id fancy all that mud!

Old Goat - there are indeed six manual guillotines. I even had the pleasure of doing the same one three times last saturday as I was following some selfish git  who decided not to bother with lifting guillotines, dropping slackers etc as he travelled upstream to his moorings at Billing.