Quality reporting - the ultralight Narrow Boat

PaulG

Featured Posts

According to the "Gloucestershire Live" (Website for the "Echo" and "Citizen"), this 70ft Narrow Boat only weighs 2 tonnes

http://www.gloucestershirelive.co.uk/watch-2-tonne-boat-lifted-out-of-water-for-first-time-in-its-109-year-life/story-30089420-detail/story.html

I think that Daniel Chipperfield - ("Chief City Reporter" - gosh!) might just be wise to check his facts before publishing them on the Interweb...

According to the "Gloucestershire Live" (Website for the "Echo" and "Citizen"), this 70ft Narrow Boat only weighs 2 tonnes

http://www.gloucestershirelive.co.uk/watch-2-tonne-boat-lifted-out-of-water-for-first-time-in-its-109-year-life/story-30089420-detail/story.html

I think that Daniel Chipperfield - ("Chief City Reporter" - gosh!) might just be wise to check his facts before publishing them on the Interweb...

Yes, for example the fact that a boat built in 1898 is not currently 109 years old, as his piece claims.

Where did you see those? Are they at the museum awaiting restoration?

At the museum, yes, awaiting restoration, it could be a long wait. Its Gloucester Museum and my Grand sons wouldn't even visit last time we went, said it was so boring now.

The point being that all were exhibits that have already been restored, but not maintained after that initial restoration.

If you believe the reports, all but the Northwich, (so 3 boats) are being put into storage at an unspecified location, with a view to restoration (again) in the future. Don't hold your breath, though!

If I read it correctly, Northwich is being craned out there, but will be left on display to deteriorate further, (being the only historic narrow boat still there, I guess?)

Sorry if that sounds negative, but what has been allowed to happen to these boats by BW and now CRT is rather disgraceful, I feel.

The point being that all were exhibits that have already been restored, but not maintained after that initial restoration.

If you believe the reports, all but the Northwich, (so 3 boats) are being put into storage at an unspecified location, with a view to restoration (again) in the future. Don't hold your breath, though!

If I read it correctly, Northwich is being craned out there, but will be left on display to deteriorate further, (being the only historic narrow boat still there, I guess?)

Sorry if that sounds negative, but what has been allowed to happen to these boats by BW and now CRT is rather disgraceful, I feel.

There is a better write-up here:

"We are delighted that, thanks to this funding, we are finally able to secure a positive future for Northwich."

http://www.gloucestershirelive.co.uk/spectacle-set-for-docks-as-crane-moves-in-to-replace-boat/story-30088443-detail/story.html

If this report is to be believed, there are now funds available to restore "Northwich" - keep fingers crossed!

Edited by PaulG