Origin of the "Kelvin" brand

gbclive

Featured Posts

I'm also a Kelvin fan.

We visited the Glasgow Transport Museum last November, the museum is situated next to where the river Kelvin flows into the Clyde. So I thought there would be some reference to Kelvin engines in the museum, how wrong could I be, there was nothing.

The museum had some interesting exhibits, unfortunately they were poorly laid out.

One positive...it was free entry. clapping.gif

Just read an article about the Kelvin Aqueduct (latest Towpath Talk, page 97).

So it seems that Kelvin is named after the River Kelvin in Glasgow?

As an obsessive Kelvin addict, I had no idea

That seems likely. The company itself was formally the Bergius Company and some history (much informed by George Bergius, son of the founder) is here:

www.sky-net.org.uk/kelvin/history/index.html

It would be nice to find one of the fifteen Kelvin cars!

N

Last time I was in Glasgow the Kelvin engine factory was still intact but in use as an Asian food wholesalers. Before the Kelvin site closed, I bought a new injection pump from there and in those days the stores were full of goodies and the man in charge was very helpful.

The nearest I've got to that experience was a visit to Andy and John at Seaward in Glasgow to collect some items for our J2.

Amazing Aladdin's cave of Kelvin "stuff" although I found it can take them months to find something they think they may have!

I got into trouble at Glasgow airport on the way home for carrying the cylinder liners in my hand baggage.

Security had a sense of humour failure and made me stand in a glass walled "sniffer" cubical as a punishment?

BA/LHR were quite happy to let me take a J cylinder to Sofia, Bulgaria as hand baggage soon after 9/112. Bugger to put into the overhead locker though at about 20 Kg!

Once upon a time, I also managed to get a NOS J2 crankshaft from Seaward.

N