Canals & Model Railways

Ray T

Featured Posts

There is quite a bit you can get these days to add to a model railway to represent a canal scene even from main manufacturers. Hornby did offered a resin boat at one time although not the best of models.

There are several layouts on the exhibition circuit that model a canal alongside the railway in some way and one or two with an exchange basin.

There are atleast 2 of us here who model in 009.

Biggest problem with some of the models of canals that i have seen are that the boats in particular are very poor. The modelllers seem to be willing to spend lots of time getting their locos perfect but do little or no research into the boats.

Edited by Graham Davis

I'll be the first to admit that I'm very picky about what I like in model railways but, to me, most of the canal scenes modelled are just not convincing, far too 'chocolate boxy'

The exception being this wonderful creation, Black Country Blues: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2KVzUYesrUI

The backdrop should be instantly recognisible to anyone familiar with the BCN Mainlines, both old and new.

There's (a lot!) more on the canal aspects of the layout here: http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/62345-black-country-blues-nigel-builds-canal-locks/

Edited by Victor Vectis

Unfortunately there is not a canal anywhere near the area on which the layout I am planning to build is based. There is a river, but it is not navigable and tended to flood the track bed on a routine basis, often causing de-railments.

Now if i had decided to base it on the area where i live, the K&A canal runs quite nearby, and a kit of both platform buildings of our local station has just been introduced, but having committed my self to the K&ESR my local option is out.

I'll be the first to admit that I'm very picky about what I like in model railways but, to me, most of the canal scenes modelled are just not convincing, far too 'chocolate boxy'

The exception being this wonderful creation, Black Country Blues: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2KVzUYesrUI

The backdrop should be instantly recognisible to anyone familiar with the BCN Mainlines, both old and new.

There's (a lot!) more on the canal aspects of the layout here: http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/62345-black-country-blues-nigel-builds-canal-locks/

Yes I know what you mean. The issue can be that the modeller has knowledge of the railway but the canal is of a secondary interest to fill a scene so can be not always accurately done or able to capture the real atmosphere of a true canal scene of the period.

There are some good ones out there and I saw one at Warley this year but I can't remember the name of it.

My two chosen areas of interest does not really allow for a canal one being GWR in Devon (fictitious location called Chagford Junction) pre-group and USA (illinois Central) in the 1960s in grain country again a fictitious location called Hadleyville.

Edited by churchward

Unfortunately there is not a canal anywhere near the area on which the layout I am planning to build is based. There is a river, but it is not navigable and tended to flood the track bed on a routine basis, often causing de-railments.

Now if i had decided to base it on the area where i live, the K&A canal runs quite nearby, and a kit of both platform buildings of our local station has just been introduced, but having committed my self to the K&ESR my local option is out.

When I was a member of the K&ESR, I seem to remember that there was talk of making the river to Bodiam castle (Rother?) navigable, as it once had been. All you need to do is a bit of a historical rewrite regarding the timescale.

The one problem with these layouts on boats, (apart from finding sufficient space for them), is that depending on state of water, diesel and (optionally) pump out tanks, the locomotives may have to work up and down variable gradients.

Keith on Hadar has an impressive collection of Gauge 0 locos on board, so the 009 stuff is quite compact by comparison!

The one problem with these layouts on boats, (apart from finding sufficient space for them), is that depending on state of water, diesel and (optionally) pump out tanks, the locomotives may have to work up and down variable gradients.

Keith on Hadar has an impressive collection of Gauge 0 locos on board, so the 009 stuff is quite compact by comparison!

"Oi, slow down to tickover you lout, you just derailed the 11:19!"

It's funny how model railways and boats seem to go together well. I've spoken to several boaters this year and discovered a shared interest in model railways.

Without wishing to de-rail the thread, I help organise a model railway exhibition in Oxford every January. This year we had Pete Boyce's 8mm broad gauge layout attend, which has a 'work in progress' dock. I'd love to have another layout with a bit of canal in it for next year. I can be reached via http://www.scoutrail.org.uk/if anybody might be interested in exhibiting.