Boon, tv programme

Dave Payne

Featured Posts

One of the bikes may have been a Goldie but I seem to remember a Triumph TR6* like the one I had (it may have been a Bonnie).

* note to the uninitiated -- not a car, but a single carb 650 Bonneville

My mistake - it was a BSA A65, which was almost indistinguishable from a Bonnie except for the BSA badge.

In this episode which introduces Neil Morrissey there are quite a few bikes. At the end of the episode Neil is riding a Norton.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VhSgfnkxg_c

He wasn't in there when we went in a bit back, which us a shame as I'd then have had someone to tell about how unwelcoming and unhelpful his disinterested, useless barmaid was and he'd have had the opportunity to sell more drinks and two lunches.

I remember Michael Elphick most fondly for Private Shultz, but I fear it may not have stood the test of time too well and I don't recall any narrowboats being featured.

Maybe that was several years ago before he owned it. I been in many times & always had good service & a decent pint.

Maybe that was several years ago before he owned it. I been in many times & always had good service & a decent pint.

2015 iirc, and his photos abounded. Pub and beer were fin and I would have liked another and a meal. Glad to hear our experience with the barmaid was atypical - I'll certainly give it another go.

Rubbish! ...... British bikes were merely well known for marking their territory.

A Friend owned a Royal Enfield Constellation in the 60's,He used to place a Cat litter Tray beneath the Engine when he parked it ,so as to catch the Oil,to be tipped back in before departure

It;s nickname was 'Torrey Canyon'!

CT

Rubbish British bikes were merely well known for marking their territory.

Punctuation edited. My Trumpet didn't leak, but it had been properly maintained.

In this episode which introduces Neil Morrissey there are quite a few bikes. At the end of the episode Neil is riding a Norton.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VhSgfnkxg_c

Yes, a 750 Commando with right-foot gear change. Boon was on the A65 earlier in the episode though.

A Friend owned a Royal Enfield Constellation in the 60's,He used to place a Cat litter Tray beneath the Engine when he parked it ,so as to catch the Oil,to be tipped back in before departure

It;s nickname was 'Torrey Canyon'!

CT

.....Otherwise known as the "Royal Oilfield".....wonder why?rolleyes.gif

Back 'in the day' I used to regularly see Boon being filmed in and around Birmingham as I went about my boating business.

Michael Elphick always seemed a bit of an odd choice to me as the lead character 'Boon', who clearly based his life around his motorcycle. Why - well Michael Elphick did not have a motorcycle licence, with all road scenes captured by a double or filmed with his BSA bolted to a low trailer and towed by one of the film crew captain.gif

... Michael Elphick did not have a motorcycle licence, with all road scenes captured by a double or filmed with his BSA bolted to a low trailer and towed by one of the film crew captain.gif

There might have been another reason too. In those days I used to frequent the ITV bar on a regular basis and a semi-permanent fixture appeared to be an extremely drunk Elphick sat alone in a corner. I saw him on numerous occasions but never once sober.

Back 'in the day' I used to regularly see Boon being filmed in and around Birmingham as I went about my boating business.

Michael Elphick always seemed a bit of an odd choice to me as the lead character 'Boon', who clearly based his life around his motorcycle.

I guess he had the "look" that the director wanted, a rugged-looking man. From memory, the character was supposed to be an ex-regular soldier.

In episode 7, series 1 Nb. Callisto puts in an appearance at 9.00 min. It looks like it's filmed by the boatyard at the top of Knowle locks, despite the Hemel Hempstead sign on the offside.

https://uktvplay.uktv.co.uk/shows/boon/watch-online/?video=5281510640001

The locks shown were certainly Knowle, and was the put that they stopped outside the Black Boy? It so they do not go far from Birmingham for the filming! Where in Birmingham was the wharf?

Wow, was that really five years ago?!

Play "spot the forum member..."

Time flies, that was our second BCN Challenge and the first where we tried hard! Edited by john6767

The locks shown were certainly Knowle, and was the put that they stopped outside the Black Boy? It so they do not go far from Birmingham for the filming! Where in Birmingham was the wharf?

Time flies, that was our second BCN Challenge and the first where we tried hard!

Yes, when I watched it a couple of years ago I reckoned it was The Black Boy. I seem to recall there were 2 places in Birmingham. Thought one of was Sampson Road but couldn't place the final stop.

I always enjoyed this programme - although initially filmed in the Birmingham area, I seem to remember that the set for later episodes was moved to a British Waterways yard in the Nottingham area.

Freeview channels provide some excellent programmes, I enjoyed watching 'Yes Minister' yesterday and also, 'The Good Life' was on recently . . .