1800w Inverter or bigger?

Richard X

Featured Posts

If OP is still intending an electric oven (madness in my opinion but it's his boat) plus all the other stuff listed then I still maintain that he needs an on board 5kW or larger cocooned generator. If it's not installed now it'll be a pain to fit at a later date.

If OP is still intending an electric oven (madness in my opinion but it's his boat) plus all the other stuff listed then I still maintain that he needs an on board 5kW or larger cocooned generator. If it's not installed now it'll be a pain to fit at a later date.

I think he realised that wasn't a good option in the other thread.

He also needs to consider he will probably only have a 16A 3.5Kw supply on his mooring so will still be limited as to how many appliances he can run at one time.

If it's for a brief period combos like the Victron multi have a power assist mode to boost shore power.

He also needs to consider he will probably only have a 16A 3.5Kw supply on his mooring so will still be limited as to how many appliances he can run at one time.

We found this out when we were waiting to refit our diesel heating.

We tripped the electrics several times running a 2kw fan heater, a 600w oil filled rad and then trying to cook something in the temporary electric oven we use when we the boat is ashore rolleyes.gif

No not having an electric oven now, it will be a Belling LPG oven. I was having an electric oven until I came on this forum and started asking questions but that's what we're all here for, likeminded people giving, asking and taking advice. smile.png

And I can't thank you all enough!!!

Richard X

Richard X, on 25 Jan 2017 - 2:05 PM, said:

No not having an electric oven now, it will be a Belling LPG oven. I was having an electric oven until I came on this forum and started asking questions but that's what we're all here for, likeminded people giving, asking and taking advice. smile.png

And I can't thank you all enough!!!

Richard X

Please, sir what about a complete gas cooker rather than just an oven (hob, grill, and oven) - though the latter may well be what you mean.

When the oven on our small Fiesta cooker is working the complete boat overheats.....

I don't want to discuss inverters, but on the subject of shore power, even though you may have a 16 amp supply the marina might not be happy if you take that, so worth checking to see what you can actually use 24/7

That might make you look at your possible consumption.

Please, sir what about a complete gas cooker rather than just an oven (hob, grill, and oven) - though the latter may well be what you mean.

When the oven on our small Fiesta cooker is working the complete boat overheats.....

Hi, because my kitchen has a tall oven housing in the design the same as a standard Eurocruiser layout then the hob will be going in the breakfast bar worktop.

I'm also thinking about having LPG Fridge and Freezer but I know nothing about those so I'll be doing lots of research on that subject.

We have a 3kw Sterling inverter.Its quite old(12 years plus)and has given no trouble. We never use the washing machine without the engine running,as the washing machine will flatten the batteries very quickly. We have a 12volt fridge,which we find the best compromise. A mains fridge with the inverter running kills our 4x 110amp batteries overnight.Plus the inverter fan is anoying at night.

Hi, because my kitchen has a tall oven housing in the design the same as a standard Eurocruiser layout then the hob will be going in the breakfast bar worktop.

I'm also thinking about having LPG Fridge and Freezer but I know nothing about those so I'll be doing lots of research on that subject.

If the boat is being built professionally I doubt the builder can fit a gas fridge and freezer. As far as I know none are now CE marked for marine use and fitting one that is not so marked would invalidate the boat's RCD. I fear you will just have to do whatever is required to run a 12/24V electric versions satisfactorily.

We have a 3kw Sterling inverter.Its quite old(12 years plus)and has given no trouble. We never use the washing machine without the engine running,as the washing machine will flatten the batteries very quickly. We have a 12volt fridge,which we find the best compromise. A mains fridge with the inverter running kills our 4x 110amp batteries overnight.Plus the inverter fan is anoying at night.

I think your main problem will be the old sterling unit. I had one some years ago and even on standby it used to draw about 2 amps ohmy.png I had a mains fridge running 24/7 365 from my mastervolt inverter and 3 110 ah batteries for several years that didnt kill the batteries. My present inverter for instance only draws 0.3 of an amp.

I think your main problem will be the old sterling unit. I had one some years ago and even on standby it used to draw about 2 amps ohmy.png I had a mains fridge running 24/7 365 from my mastervolt inverter and 3 110 ah batteries for several years that didnt kill the batteries. My present inverter for instance only draws 0.3 of an amp.

I run a Mastervolt 1500 true sine wave inverter and I can't be bothered to fit the link to make it go to sleep when there is no demand, I run a mains fridge 24/7

Whatever the size of inverter that Collingwood put in it will run the appliances aboard individually. I am really surprised that the 1800 is being fitted. All the stock boats I thought came with 2500 Sterling Combi.

I am useless at all stuff electrical even though I have tried to study my 'ol brain doesn't want to know.

If your boat comes with a washing machine then the inverter will be big enough to run that. I have 2500, my washing machine says 1600 and I dont know what the freezer is.. (note to self - you really should find out).

You should question the size of that inverter when you visit and ask why you are not getting the 2500 Combi like everyone else.

• Greenie 1