Ice on GU/Oxford?

Tigerr

Featured Posts

CRT have been known to break ice at Cow Roast in recent years.....

Not a bad effort, but they did get rid of something more suitable....

(Mind you, I'm assuming Matt and Sarah didn't know quite how thin some of the bow plating was at waterline when they tried this!......)

They've been doing that around Willowbridge and heading south this week. Mainly because they are transporting lock gates.

Just thought that CaRT could make boaters lives easier, and give them a bit of slack in the winter.

They already admit boating is harder in the winter and offer winter moorings for that reason, though it is illegal to pay a bribe to any organisation to ignore the law, and no civil ( winter mooring ) contract can override statute, it would be wrong to get involved in a CaRT fraud, free winter moorings would be a nice goodwill gesture ?

Just thought that CaRT could make boaters lives easier, and give them a bit of slack in the winter.

They already admit boating is harder in the winter and offer winter moorings for that reason, though it is illegal to pay a bribe to any organisation to ignore the law, and no civil ( winter mooring ) contract can override statute, it would be wrong to get involved in a CaRT fraud, free winter moorings would be a nice goodwill gesture ?

If Crt offers free winter moorings, it loses out on revenue to maintain the system. Everyone loses.

If you object to paying Crt the extra, keep moving.

You could pay to go in a marina over winter. Or are you bribing the marina owner to stay there?

• Greenie 1

Hmmmm so all 30,000 CRT licence holders should get free moorings in winter then?

Or just some of them? Which ones?

I don't think you have thought this through at all have you!

If Crt offers free winter moorings, it loses out on revenue to maintain the system. Everyone loses.

If you object to paying Crt the extra, keep moving.

You could pay to go in a marina over winter. Or are you bribing the marina owner to stay there?

So you condone revenue if its illegal ? Strange.

Why would you be bribing a marina owner, its not illegal, no idea what your point is there.

Hmmmm so all 30,000 CRT licence holders should get free moorings in winter then?

Or just some of them? Which ones?

I don't think you have thought this through at all have you!

You haven't thought through that the majority of the 30 k have moorings already. CC'ers are the minority. Giving someone with a mooring another mooring would be stupid, only a person who hasn't thought that through would suggest it.

You haven't thought through that the majority of the 30 k have moorings already. CC'ers are the minority. Giving someone with a mooring another mooring would be stupid, only a person who hasn't thought that through would suggest it.

Well any boater with a mooring would give it up in winter to get the free one wouldn't they?

Paying for a mooring would be stupid when there are free ones on offer wouldn't it?

Your inability to construct a coherent argument reminds me of bassplayer!

Remember him? Oh no, you wouldn't. He was banned (along with his doppel) just before you before you turned up.

• Greenie 1

I think that you'll find that you already get that, if you are frozen in and notify CRT of the fact you can't move because your boat is frozen in they don't seem to have a problem with that. Are you asking that you should stay in one place when you aren't frozen in because you can't be *rsed to move perhaps?unsure.png

• Greenie 1

CRT already cut winter CCers the bit of slack you ask for.

24hr, 48hr and 7 day VM time limits are relaxed to 14 days in the winter months. Very good of them to do this for us in my opinion.

So you condone revenue if its illegal ? Strange.

Why would you be bribing a marina owner, its not illegal.

Why is illegal for CRT to charge for winter moorings?

My point is you wouldn't be bribing the marina owner, so why not do it if your concience won't allow you to pay Crt?

Edited by MHS

Well any boater with a mooring would give it up in winter to get the free one wouldn't they?

Paying for a mooring would be stupid when there are free ones on offer wouldn't it?

Your inability to construct a coherent argument reminds me of bassplayer!

Remember him? Oh no, you wouldn't. He was banned (along with his doppel) just before you before you turned up.

From what I've read here and on the Thunderboat forum, I get the impression members get banned from here if they disagree strongly with certain individuals like yourself. I think that's very sad. It's one of the reasons I haven't posted much on here.

When I started reading this forum many years ago, threads like this contained very useful up to date information for boaters. Now it seems to have become a pulpit for a few ego's. It's a real shame.

• Greenie 2

From what I've read here and on the Thunderboat forum, I get the impression members get banned from here if they disagree strongly with certain individuals like yourself. I think that's very sad. It's one of the reasons I haven't posted much on here

Putting my moderator hat on here- no, certainly not. People get sanctions (unofficial, official warnings, suspensions, bans) for breaching the forum rules and guidelines. "No Arguing" isn't one of them.

You may have seen people "disagreeing strongly" with certain individuals, but they were certainly not banned for disagreeing.

From what I've read here and on the Thunderboat forum, I get the impression members get banned from here if they disagree strongly with certain individuals like yourself. I think that's very sad. It's one of the reasons I haven't posted much on here.

When I started reading this forum many years ago, threads like this contained very useful up to date information for boaters. Now it seems to have become a pulpit for a few ego's. It's a real shame.

No your impression is false. You get banned for breaching the forum rules and guidelines, not for disagreeing. If you disagree, put forward a cogent counter argument. But if the extent of you contribution is only an anti-CRT irrational rant and you enter into counter argument only by insulting the opposing arguers, then you are on the slippery slope. That and the addition of extraneous apostrophes of course.

Putting my moderator hat on here- no, certainly not. People get sanctions (unofficial, official warnings, suspensions, bans) for breaching the forum rules and guidelines. "No Arguing" isn't one of them.

You may have seen people "disagreeing strongly" with certain individuals, but they were certainly not banned for disagreeing.

What's this I read about a list being drawn up a while ago then?

So, looks like ice isn' a problem then. Which is good.

Absolutely smile.png

Actually here at Weedon on the GU it has iced over again overnight, which I had not expected given forecast temperatures.

That said someone has just boated past and broken it, with no great crescendo of noise, so it must be quite thin.

And yet you are a new member?

So after years of following the forum when you though it was a good thing, but didn't apparently actually join up, you have now done so just to tell us how bad it is now?

Seems an odd choice - why not invest your efforts in a forum you find more to your taste, if you think this one has gone to the dogs?

• Greenie 1

Actually here at Weedon on the GU it has iced over again overnight, which I had not expected given forecast temperatures.

That said someone has just boated past and broken it, with no great crescendo of noise, so it must be quite thin.

That's more like it. :)

There is ice lower down towards Cow Roast. You'll probably find it's still in places where the sun don't shine!

Not something I've noticed happening. As Nick says, people get banned for breaching the forum rules, not for holding an opinion which diverges from mine or anyone else's.

In addition it is people who get banned, not usernames, so I understand. Registering a fresh username (as bassplayer did with biggles47, and probably RobertBrooks) in order to continue posting here tends to get uncovered eventually so when RobertBrooks gets banned, it won't be for disagreeing with me despite what you think. It will be for registering a doppel.

Back on track. Left our marina today for a trip. There was some Ice between the marina and Calcutt Bottom lock. But then none to Hillmorton. I would guess it has all gone now.

On the positive side all the foliage on the tow path side of the Barby Straight has been hacked back, The Hillmorton Locks paddle gear has been well greased and was easy to use.

A slight digression, it is the first time I have been past Barby Pools Marina since work was started and I was surprised at its size, it is huge!

I doubt anyone would give up a good long term mooring then expect to find it or one like it available again in the spring. Would you ?

The CaRT moorings website currently has two, yes two ,residential mooring available for the entire system.

CRT already cut winter CCers the bit of slack you ask for.

24hr, 48hr and 7 day VM time limits are relaxed to 14 days in the winter months. Very good of them to do this for us in my opinion.

These reduced time limits are unlawful in the first place, 14 days was set by statute in 1995, and that has not changed, if it has please link me to the amendment to the 95 act ?, so while its good of them to follow the law in the winter, I'd rather they followed it all year personally.