Brass tiller split?

big d

Featured Posts

I'm not on boat at moment but i was looking on eBay and saw this new one with same split and what I've been seeing as a fault may be a design element

eBay number 351796248587

Mine looks exactly the same, but why ? It doesn't affect the use so not to worried just curious

Dunc

Here's the eBay pic

post-25802-0-16932900-1485213956_thumb.jpg

I'm not on boat at moment but i was looking on eBay and saw this new one with same split and what I've been seeing as a fault may be a design element

eBay number 351796248587

Mine looks exactly the same, but why ? It doesn't affect the use so not to worried just curious

Dunc

Here's the eBay pic

It looks like another piece of tube has been rammed up inside.

post-7038-0-92366600-1485214639_thumb.jpg

Isn't it so that you can put something through it to prevent the tiller pin lifting, falling from its hole and disappearing into the water? They're not cheap and they don't float.

How does a tiller pin fall out when it has a knob or some ornamental object on the top of it? The OP is talking about a split tiller arm & not a tiller pin.

Poor quality, thin walled tube trying to replicate something thicker walled and better quality. A cheap skate solution.

As he says. A cheapo steel tiller with a thin walled brass skin - the steel is rusting and has split the skin.

Brass will harden as it ages, especially if it is subjected to significant variations in temperatere, but I think the problem with yours is probably because it has been made from flat plate which has been rolled into tube and welded, rather than drawn, and has split where the weld has failed.

Edited by David Schweizer

The e-Bay item is from a commercial seller, and one of hundreds of products they stock.

It is claimed to be a new item with 4 available.

I think the apparent split might just be an unfortunate trick of the lighting conditions in which the picture was taken.

e-Bay linky.

Definitely looks like a real split to me, and a clean, deliberate one with no rust underneath. I have never seen anything like it before though.

My hanging rails are bits of horse harness (hames I believe is what they're called) made of steel (or possibly iron I guess) encased in brass. They're probably nigh on a hundred years old and they haven't split!

The e-Bay item is from a commercial seller, and one of hundreds of products they stock.

It is claimed to be a new item with 4 available.

I think the apparent split might just be an unfortunate trick of the lighting conditions in which the picture was taken.

e-Bay linky.

I can't see it being a trick of the light for a number of reasons.

First on a shiny surface the light isn likely to reflect and so it would appear lighter rather than darker.

Second if you enlarge the picture enough you can see marks running across the dark part which aren't on the brass surface.

Third if you look closely at the end of the pipe you can see it is a tube within a tube and the inner tube is at the same level as the shiny part at the end of the dark section. This suggests to my eye it is the end of the inner pipe which has become shiny for some reason.

It's a reflection on the outer part of the tube.

Here's an enlargement. You can clearly see that the end of the tube is circular with no cut.

attachicon.gifs-l5001.jpg

It isn't clear on your shot but when I enlarged it you can see on the left hand side a tube within a tube and to my eye the bright part at the end of the dark insert is the inner tube and at a lower level than the outer brass.

It may be an optical illusion but it doesn't look like it to me.

It's a reflection on the outer part of the tube.

Here's an enlargement. You can clearly see that the end of the tube is circular with no cut.

attachicon.gifs-l5001.jpg

Whilst I can understand why people think they are seeing something else, I still still agree with you.

Apart from anything else, if it were as widely split as that dark bit looks, then there is no way the sides of the tube would still appear as parallel as they do.

If this was some private individual selling a used item, I would question it more, maybe, but it isn't - it's a dealer with a stock of the things. Do people imagine all 4 he has for sale are split, or just the one he has chosen to picture?

Whilst I can understand why people think they are seeing something else, I still still agree with you.

Apart from anything else, if it were as widely split as that dark bit looks, then there is no way the sides of the tube would still appear as parallel as they do.

If this was some private individual selling a used item, I would question it more, maybe, but it isn't - it's a dealer with a stock of the things. Do people imagine all 4 he has for sale are split, or just the one he has chosen to picture?

But why would you choose a picture that makes it look split, if it isn't?