Head torch

Nev

Featured Posts

Walking the dog this evening I was impressed to see a boat moving down the cut towards me, as it got a bit closer I realised it was on the tow path so assumed a cyclist with some impressive lights, as it (he) got closer I realised it was a head torch, it was the brightest I have ever seen and made my copulating glow worm model seem very inadequate. Only after he had passed did I think to have asked him what he was sporting.

So what would you recommend for the best brightest head torch for late night walking?

Alpkit.com have some good bright models at reasonable prices. This 125 lumen one (link below) is on offer at the moment. An even brighter model has just been released.

https://www.alpkit.com/products/viper-2015

ETA: I have several items from this small UK online company, including sleeping mats and trekking poles, and all have been good quality and value for money. Not got one of their head torches yet but it is on the list.

Edited by Hotspur

You need to look at some of the cycle lamps with lithium rechargeable batteries, there are some that adapt easily to head torch mode. Aldi had a very good one recently cost about £12 (branded as Bikemate) and very compact.

Seems to be a re-branded Moon lamp - excellent light output

Edited by IDS

Walking the dog this evening I was impressed to see a boat moving down the cut towards me, as it got a bit closer I realised it was on the tow path so assumed a cyclist with some impressive lights, as it (he) got closer I realised it was a head torch, it was the brightest I have ever seen and made my copulating glow worm model seem very inadequate. Only after he had passed did I think to have asked him what he was sporting.

So what would you recommend for the best brightest head torch for late night walking?

On the T&M?

What is it with you lot? Why do you need head torches to be so bright? So you can blind everyone else out and about on the towpath in the dark?

I can manage perfectly well in the dark with an ordinary hand or head torch.

I go along with that, as people walk they turn their heads to look at things and that laser like beam goes everywhere. same when using them in tunnels, if they look at you the momentarily blind you.

On the T&M?

Yes it was....

Thanks for your helpful replies.

As to 'why' I have been over twice now this winter and thankfully apart for getting muddy I have not broken or sprained anything. A combination of mole hills, branches off trees in/after high winds and well worn tow paths with slippy inclines (even with boots on) are the occupational hazards of walking in the dark. Plus I'd like to walk further especially up towards Woodend but that has all the above hazards with remoteness thrown in but with a decent head torch it would be a enjoyable walk rather than following a spot in the dark with associated risks.

Yes it was....

Thanks for your helpful replies.

As to 'why' I have been over twice now this winter and thankfully apart for getting muddy I have not broken or sprained anything. A combination of mole hills, branches off trees in/after high winds and well worn tow paths with slippy inclines (even with boots on) are the occupational hazards of walking in the dark. Plus I'd like to walk further especially up towards Woodend but that has all the above hazards with remoteness thrown in but with a decent head torch it would be a enjoyable walk rather than following a spot in the dark with associated risks.

You would need to look down at your feet all the while with your head pointing down so you could see them.

You would need to look down at your feet all the while with your head pointing down so you could see them.

Brian, That was what was so beneficial with the head torch the guy had yesterday, it flooded the towpath so the field of vision was so much more rather better than my pointy light torch.

I use a Petzl E-light for wandering the towpaths without blinding anyone (tiny for sticking in your pocket), a Petzl Tikka RXP for operating locks in the dark and a Petzl NAO for bringing down light aircraft and illuminating the moon.

Edited by carlt
  • Greenie 1

What do you use for those cyclists with insanely bright lights brighter than the sun one occasionally encounters?

I think a mirror would be most appropriate. They could hardly complain!

Especially the ones that flash all the time like a slow strob

What do you use for those cyclists with insanely bright lights brighter than the sun one occasionally encounters?

I think a mirror would be most appropriate. They could hardly complain!

I was walking a stretch alongside a railway line at night a few weeks back. I saw a train coming along the line but became concerned when it seemed to be too far over towards towards the towpath. Turned out to be a cyclist with an unbelievably bright headlamp, far brighter than a typical car head lamp and I ended up having to stop walking for a minute or so because i was temporarily blinded by it. My bike light is 80 lumens and by any reasonable standards, it's pretty bright. The guy in the shop asked where I cycled and I told him, mostly canal towapth with some roads. He tried to insist that I needed at least 200 lumens and preferably 300-400 lumens. This is where the problem is coming from I think.

I guess the old fashioned dynamo powered lights were less than 10 lumens and we all got on fine with them.

I was walking a stretch alongside a railway line at night a few weeks back. I saw a train coming along the line but became concerned when it seemed to be too far over towards towards the towpath. Turned out to be a cyclist with an unbelievably bright headlamp, far brighter than a typical car head lamp and I ended up having to stop walking for a minute or so because i was temporarily blinded by it. My bike light is 80 lumens and by any reasonable standards, it's pretty bright. The guy in the shop asked where I cycled and I told him, mostly canal towapth with some roads. He tried to insist that I needed at least 200 lumens and preferably 300-400 lumens. This is where the problem is coming from I think.

I guess the old fashioned dynamo powered lights were less than 10 lumens and we all got on fine with them.

My front bike light is around 200 lumens, for pitch dark towpath it is just okay. 400 would be better.

What is it with you lot? Why do you need head torches to be so bright? So you can blind everyone else out and about on the towpath in the dark?

I can manage perfectly well in the dark with an ordinary hand or head torch.

Agreed I almost never use a head or any other sort of torch, I find them isolating, a few minutes in the dark and normally I can see well enough most nights.

Funnily enough this morning was almost a torch morning, low cloud and mist but as the path was familiar I was fine

Agreed I almost never use a head or any other sort of torch, I find them isolating, a few minutes in the dark and normally I can see well enough most nights.

Funnily enough this morning was almost a torch morning, low cloud and mist but as the path was familiar I was fine

Very dark here last night as well.

You must spend quite a while scraping dog sh*t off your shoes though, unless your local dogs pass luminous sh*trolleyes.gif

• Greenie 1

You must spend quite a while scraping dog sh*t off your shoes though, unless your local dogs pass luminous sh*trolleyes.gif

The trouble is, it turns into an arms race doesn't it. When you go out with your 400 Lumen head torch you can only see the dog shit until someone comes the other way with a light the same as yours shining it at you, because yours is dazzling them. Then you'll need a far brighter light!

Edited by Mike the Boilerman
  • Greenie 1

I've got a couple of cheap headlamps from Tesco or somewhere. Very feeble and I'd like something more powerful. The route from car to boat, with a couple of dogs on leads goes under a very dark aqueduct and railway bridge, then the moorings arent particularly bright.

How many lumens is enough to light up the way. I'm thinking 100 seems to get reasonable reviews with 300 lumens being like Blackpool illuminations but, if so, why are some cycle lamps 1000 lumens and more??