Condensation in cupboards

blackrose

Featured Posts

Is it possible to get condensation at the bottom of built in cupboards that are packed full of stuff and rarely opened? This evening I found wet stuff in the cupboards and then found the wooden lining at the bottom of the cupboards and floorboards were wet where they meet the lining.

There's no wetness higher up and no indication of leaking windows above, and all my plumbing runs down the other sideof the boat. The walls at the back of the cupboard are very well insulated so I assume it can only be condensation.

I've emptied the cupboards and will let them dry out with the stove tonight. The stuff had been in there for years.

post-1046-0-94047800-1485194044_thumb.jpg

Edited by blackrose

Have come across this once before, when we investigated it, it turned out that the standard of joinery on the boat was that good that it didn't allow any airflow or ventilation in the cupboard bottoms and sides, thus causing this problem. There was no other damp anywhere else on the boat.

Hope this helps.

Andy B

• Greenie 1

Thanks.

I've taken all the doors off and will let it dry out over the next few days. It's just wet at the bottom of the cupboards. Completely dry further up the walls. I guess the bottom is where it gets cold + lack of ventilation because they were stuffed full of gear + warm air from the stove = condensation which I hadn't noticed because the cupboards are used for storage rather than stuff that gets regularly used.

In future I'll just use the cupboard shelves and leave the bottom clear so at least any condensation can dry out on its own.

Have come across this once before, when we investigated it, it turned out that the standard of joinery on the boat was that good that it didn't allow any airflow or ventilation in the cupboard bottoms and sides, thus causing this problem. There was no other damp anywhere else on the boat.

Hope this helps.

Andy B

I couldn't say the same about the quality of my joinery I'm afraid. The cupboards are my own handiwork. They're ok. I bought the doors cheaply, stained and waxed them and just hung them on the frame I made. Top and sides are made from Ikea worktop.

But I am very good and packing spaces full of gear!

post-1046-0-57471600-1485200529_thumb.jpg

Edited by blackrose

Walls might be well insulated, but somewhere has to be the coldest place in the boat, which is where airborne moisture will condense. With poor ventilation due to volume of stored stuff, it doesn't get a chance to dry out when the air is dryer, and so the damp accumulates.

Walls might be well insulated, but somewhere has to be the coldest place in the boat, which is where airborne moisture will condense. With poor ventilation due to volume of stored stuff, it doesn't get a chance to dry out when the air is dryer, and so the damp accumulates.

Yes that's it. It was so damp when I discovered it I initially thought a nearby window must be leaking, but with no dampness or staining below the window I then had the irrational thought that perhaps a weld in my hull was leaking!

Can you put some holes under the cupboard doors and then some in the back of the cupboard on the base, this might help with ventilation?

I could put some 1" holes in the cupboard doors and and fit some big eyelets to finish then off, but the back of the cupboards is the hull.

Edited by blackrose

Blackrose, was the stuff in the cupboard clothes? Could have they been dampish when you put them in so increasing the humidity level in the cupboard? For long term clothes storage it may be better to use a vacuum pack bag thingy?

Work clothes on the shelves above - stuff I use when I'm painting etc, and motorbike gear. I try not to put stuff away if it's wet or damp. On the floor a had 2 big boxes of Aldi fire lighters 12 packs in each (I tend to buy in bulk!), plus shoes and bits & pieces.

Edited by blackrose

My cupboards get very cold but they are not directly against the hull. they are against the wooden lining. Can you line the cupboard and then fill behind with spray foam?

Sorry, the back of the cupboards is the lining with sprayfoam behind. Have a look at the pictures above. When I said that the back of the cupboard was the hull just meant I couldn't put holes through the back of the cupboard.

A long shot, but that moisture looks as if it could be coming from the trunking. The worst of the dampness seems to be coming from an area just below where the trunking sags down slightly as shown in the second picture. This would create a sump where water could collect. Is there any possibility that water is finding its way into the trunking?

Blackrose, the problem to me looking at the picture is, doors sealed to the floor = no air flow, I think that's your problem.

Yes, that's it. With the doors off it's drying out already. I've just been down on the floor looking at it and I can feel really good low level airflow along the corridor, so I need to ventilate the doors.

post-1046-0-60148600-1485204124_thumb.jpg

Edited by blackrose
  • Greenie 1

A long shot, but that moisture looks as if it could be coming from the trunking. The worst of the dampness seems to be coming from an area just below where the trunking sags down slightly as shown in the second picture. This would create a sump where water could collect. Is there any possibility that water is finding its way into the trunking?

The moisture may be finding its way into the trunking, but it's not coming from the trunking. How could that be?

Edit: Just checked - there is no moisture inside the trunking.

Edited by blackrose

yeah, the bowthruster is usually to blame. Bloody girly buttons! cool.png

The moisture may be finding its way into the trunking, but it's not coming from the trunking. How could that be?

Edit: Just checked - there is no moisture inside the trunking.

The trunking could be stopping what little ventilation their is from flowing over the area.

A lesson for us all. There should be no unventilated spaces anywhere inside a boat. Most boats will have a few unventilated cupboards, blocked-in voids, etc., and they should all be provided with vent holes. Same goes for the bilge undefloor space.

That is a bit more difficult unless you put in the ballast and lay the floorboards yourself.

My bilges are unventilated. I've cut several inspection hatches but I've yet to find any dampness down there - unless it's been my own fault and I've had a plumbing leak.

The trunking could be stopping what little ventilation their is from flowing over the area.

I think it's more likely to be all the other junk I put in there!

Edited by blackrose