Rudder Position Indicator

Richard X

Featured Posts

The Peter le Marchant fat boats I used to steer had a rudder indicator, I found that I never used it, I think after a while on the wheel you get a sixth sense for knowing which way the rudder is.

Easy way to know Rudder angle is to briefly engage ahead and watch the Boats stern to see if it 'Twitches' one way or T'other

Position Indicator is just a distraction,don;t need too many of those when you are learning to steer a Boat.

CT

I didnt know it but one was supplied to our boat. I did find it extremely useful when I first started using a wheel at least it stopped me panicing. It is unbelievably difficult to go from 17 years with a tiller to a wheel. I mean I drive so it shouldn't be difficult but my brain says boat. So to go to the left I was turning the wheel right! Well that is what you do with a tiller!

I'm fine now and probably can do without the rudder dial but I rather like it especially when taking off from a mooring or lock landing and more especially when in a lock and I have to go out between boats. At least I know the rudder is central.

Having said that, a bit of tape around the top of the wheel to show you where central is would be fine and dial not needed.

"Having said that, a bit of tape around the top of the wheel to show you where central is would be fine and dial not needed."

This only works if you remember how many turns!

Yes very true. On this particular boat the steering 'circle' is the same as a car so just the one turn each way to the end stops. I know a lot of boaters with wheels actually spin them for turning! In that case then the indicator sounds like a very good idea.

• 2 weeks later...

Yes very true. On this particular boat the steering 'circle' is the same as a car so just the one turn each way to the end stops. I know a lot of boaters with wheels actually spin them for turning! In that case then the indicator sounds like a very good idea.

You need to update your boat name and picture Sue!