Pump out toilet blocked?!

silverlode

Featured Posts

A water saving shower valve that cuts off after 15 seconds? That's not much of a shower is it???

I think I remember encountering one of these in a shower on a campsite and had to perfect the technique of washing my hair whilst keeping by backside pressed against the button.

Trouble is, with this valve fitted you will not know if the valve on the bog has stuck open...then what happens when this valve fails biggrin.png

.............Dave

A water saving shower valve that cuts off after 15 seconds? That's not much of a shower is it???

I think I remember encountering one of these in a shower on a campsite and had to perfect the technique of washing my hair whilst keeping by backside pressed against the button.

Trouble is, with this valve fitted you will not know if the valve on the bog has stuck open...then what happens when this valve fails :D

.............Dave

It all also shows the importance of having an easily accessible stop valve in the supply to the bog.

Trouble is, with this valve fitted you will not know if the valve on the bog has stuck open...then what happens when this valve fails biggrin.png

.............Dave

Even at that time you would know from the level in the pan.

(snip)

As too your overflow, I don't fully understand this. I thought the Traveller had an overflow passage then drained back into the tank, but this can be blocked by fitting the main seal "washers" back to front (there is a suitable hole in the seal washers). I have pondered this because if its the case then why does a bit of pong not escape? unless there is a mini-trap built into the overflow route?. I will have a better look next time I overhaul the bog.

...............Dave

It has, but when the pump out tank is full ....

e.t.a. The overflow does have a "U" bend built in. If pong is escaping through it, cure is squirt water into the overflow hole somehow, or fill the bowl with water until it's overflowing into the tank.

Edited by Iain_S

It has, but when the pump out tank is full ....

e.t.a. The overflow does have a "U" bend built in. If pong is escaping through it, cure is squirt water into the overflow hole somehow, or fill the bowl with water until it's overflowing into the tank.

I have fitted a plug in mine, no pong and if the bowl does overflow then its only clean water, if it fills the tank and then overflows well I don't suppose much would come up the overflow provided the seal between the tank and the toilet is 100%

If you chuck a biological washing capsule (or some powder) in every now and then the enzymes help to break everything down into liquid. Even strong loo roll seems to break up well. Do this in a cassette toilet and there's no need for chemicals so you can dispose down a normal toilet if necessary.

would powder help with a macerator? When leaving the boat for any period of time I pour and leave coke cola in it, to clear limescale build ups, just based on the fact coke cola will clean no end of items so i assume it would help with a macerator, I also pour cooking oil down it to coat the internal workings. any thoughts, tips and advice on this would be appreciated.

would powder help with a macerator? When leaving the boat for any period of time I pour and leave coke cola in it, to clear limescale build ups, just based on the fact coke cola will clean no end of items so i assume it would help with a macerator, I also pour cooking oil down it to coat the internal workings. any thoughts, tips and advice on this would be appreciated.

I meant biological washing powder (or liquid) in case that wasn't clear. The enzymes break down the solids and help things decompose.

Don't know much about pump out loos but are the tanks ever 'integral'? couldn't be full of canal water could it? just a horrible thought.

Many pump out tanks are integral, they simply weld sides and a top to make a tank which utilises the base and often hull side.

As you say, the obvious disadvantage is when it rusts through... That said, when we had a shareboat with an integral tank, someone said that the contents "pickle" the steel thus preventing corrosion.

Thanks to everyone who gave me advice!

I poked it with a stick, and there was indeed both poo crust AND blockage (double grim), and possibly build up in the tank from the boat being vacant for so long.

Interesting discussions that have followed my initial post - learning a lot!

Amelia

Edited by silverlode

Many pump out tanks are integral, they simply weld sides and a top to make a tank which utilises the base and often hull side.

As you say, the obvious disadvantage is when it rusts through... That said, when we had a shareboat with an integral tank, someone said that the contents "pickle" the steel thus preventing corrosion.

Equally I have heard someone say that when an integral tank was cut out in a boat, the external shell that formed the other sides of it was in very poor state.

I can't actually imagine continual attack by diluted urine and faeces on unpainted steel is going to preserve it, despite the alleged "pickling" process that some seem keen to talk about!

Thanks to everyone who gave me advice!

I poked it with a stick, and there was indeed both poo crust AND blockage (double grim), and possibly build up in the tank from the boat being vacant for so long.

Interesting discussions that have followed my initial post - learning a lot!

Amelia

Pressure wash lance down there and blast it all out.

I am moving onto my boat for a few weeks and plan to abandon 'Blue' and go biological. Which bio liquid do you use and what is your dosing regimen? I thought of adding a capful daily. After all, bacteria breed very quickly, doubling in number every 30 minutes, if conditions are suitable. So, in 12 hours, each one becomes eight million.

I stopped putting blue in about five pump outs ago, am interested to hear what people are putting in, my aim was to get rid of the blue over the winter when the tank smells less then starting using something else in the spring.

I hate the smell you get from blue in the Summer.

I am moving onto my boat for a few weeks and plan to abandon 'Blue' and go biological. Which bio liquid do you use and what is your dosing regimen? I thought of adding a capful daily. After all, bacteria breed very quickly, doubling in number every 30 minutes, if conditions are suitable. So, in 12 hours, each one becomes eight million.

That sounds like a lot to me, but I've only ever used bio capsules with a cassette. Generally just pop one in at the start. I guess more won't do any harm but, as you say, they multiply anyway. Important not to use bleach or anything else that kills the enzymes. I've never been brand conscious, there always seems to be one on special offer for around a fiver for 36 capsules.

Equally I have heard someone say that when an integral tank was cut out in a boat, the external shell that formed the other sides of it was in very poor state.

I can't actually imagine continual attack by diluted urine and faeces on unpainted steel is going to preserve it, despite the alleged "pickling" process that some seem keen to talk about!

Both of the shareboats we had utilised integral tanks. We had the first for 10 years and the second for 12. Neither had an integral tank failure, although that may not be the case when they were say 20 years old.

With regard to adding blue, or bio. When we bought our current boat, the previous owner said he had not used anything, and had not experienced any smells.

We have continued this practice and almost three years on there are still no smells.

Even when I cut a hole in the stainless steel tank to fit an MCS gauget, there was no smell.

We use Aldi/Lidl own brand. Make sure it's Bio. We put a couple of caps full at the start and add a capful when we get 'the feeling'.

No paricular time scale. Trial and error. It's not that expensive so you can be a bit liberal with it.

Thought about changing to bio for ages. Went from Blue to odourlos to bio. Make sure you fully rinse out the tank thoroughly.