One for Mike

raymondh

Featured Posts

This Mike will stick to ales for the time being (apart from the mini bottle of red that I've tipped into our beef stew this evening), but thanks anyway.

Hi Mike, have you tried that bottle I left with you? I presume not, since you're still speaking to me. I have its brother still unopened.

Yellow tail Shiraz £5.50 at Morrisons this week

A very nice wine, as is their Merlot, but I always try and wait until I can get six bottles for £25 at ASDA. It is one of their regular offers, but unfortunately not at the moment

A very nice wine, as is their Merlot,

I had not heard of this wine and have just looked it up on the internet.

I am shocked.

Do you realise that it is produced in AUSTRALIA of all places?

Wine, as any fule kno, is a drink made from grapes in France or, just occasionally, in Italy.

You'll be trying to tell me next that someone';s attempting to make wine in South America.

I am shocked.

Wine, as any fule kno, is a drink made from grapes in France or, just occasionally, in Italy.

You'll be trying to tell me next that someone';s attempting to make wine in South America.

The best wine comes from USA. (Paul Masson)

:)

I am shocked.

Not a fan of Rioja, then, Mike?

I am shocked.

Yes ludicrous. That would be the equivalent of somewhere like, say, Belgium attempting to make good beer wouldn't it!

• Greenie 1

Not a fan of Rioja, then, Mike?

No, I must be off my Rioja, eh?

Yes ludicrous. That would be the equivalent of somewhere like, say, Belgium attempting to make good beer wouldn't it!

Exactly. Some joker even tried to tell me that monks brewed it up in their monasteries.

I am shocked.

You really do need to get out more Mike, it has been readily available in the UK for some time now. South East Australia produces some very good wine, my Daughter in Law works for Brown Brothers in Milawa, Victoria, please don't tell us you haven't heard of them either, they have been producing wine for 120 years!

The best wine comes from USA. (Paul Masson)

smile.png

Well he would wouldn't he?

Edited by David Schweizer

It has been readily available in the UK for some time now. South East Australia produces some very good wine, myDaughter in Law works for Brown Brothers in Milawa Victoria, please don't tell us you haven't heard of them, they have been producing wine for 120 years!

It may have been readily available but, as on the occasions when I buy wine in England I always look for French or Italian, I have had no reason to see it on display. The only New World wines we ever buy are those miniature bottles, for flavouring stews.

No, I have not heard of Brown or his sibling. I wonder, if you didn't have a relative on their staff, would you have heard of them?

It may have been readily available but, as on the occasions when I buy wine in England I always look for French or Italian, I have had no reason to see it on display. The only New World wines we ever buy are those miniature bottles, for flavouring stews.

No, I have not heard of Brown or his sibling. I wonder, if you didn't have a relative on their staff, would you have heard of them?

Yes I would have. along with several other brands of Australian wine. I do like French wine, and always bring plenty back when we holiday in France, but they do have an irritating habit of dumping the wine their own countrymen wouldn't touch on the UK. I have only had to take wine back to the supplier a few times, but in each instance it was French wine. The wine actually bought in France always seems superior to the stuff you can buy over here.

Edited by David Schweizer

Wine, in general, doesn't travel very well so the best Italian, French and Spanish wines are best tasted in their own countries. What the new world wine producers have done is develop robust wines ( in part due to climate, in part to process) that will travel well to their markets.

I am shocked.

Anywhere but France. I don't like the way they cook our lamb.

Bob

• Greenie 1

Wine, in general, doesn't travel very well so the best Italian, French and Spanish wines are best tasted in their own countries. What the new world wine producers have done is develop robust wines ( in part due to climate, in part to process) that will travel well to their markets.

I am sure that is correct, but the distance from to the UK from some of the French vineyards is not that much more than across France, and the stuff we bring back does not seem to deteriorate despite rough ferry crossings.

Wine, in general, doesn't travel very well so the best Italian, French and Spanish wines are best tasted in their own countries.

I have visited all those countries in the last few years and, believe you me, I've tried my best to follow your advice. If I had to relinquish one, it would be Spanish.

I have visited all those countries in the last few years and, believe you me, I've tried my best to follow your advice. If I had to relinquish one, it would be Spanish.

The best Spanish wine in my experience is the cheapest. Bought some rose for 1.80 a bottle which I thought was very palatable until I tried the 0.80 bottle - even better :)

Lidl, Maspalomas.

A very nice wine, as is their Merlot, but I always try and wait until I can get six bottles for £25 at ASDA. It is one of their regular offers, but unfortunately not at the moment

http://direct.asda.com/Winemakers-Choice-Shiraz-2014/006744827,default,pd.htmllittle under £24