What distances from your boat?

sal garfi

Featured Posts

When we had a home mooring, it was around a ten minute walk from our house. But we gave it up because we found our boat was rarely on it. Most of the time we'd just moor it near a train station somewhere within an hour or so of home.

About hour and a half.

Athy - off topic but quick question - drove along Well Creek yesterday and noticed a narrowboat called Starling which is getting in an awful state. Have seen her a few times now and she never moves and gets more and more run down. Is there a story there?

Hmmm...is that a lovat-coloured 54 foot Springer? I don't recognise the name but the description sounds familiar. If so, that's along our road and I know the family who bought it. It's one of the first Springers, built 1969.

When we lived in West Wales we were 3 to 4 hours from our boat in Droitwich and only really used it for cruises over a week long (is it OK to measure cruises in time like an American?) and hardly ever just for weekends like we thought we would. Now we're only an hour away and I can visit for a day or 2 just because I miss it. I'm considering getting a mooring in the North West to explore this (as yet ) undiscovered country but really don't want to go back to being more than 2 hours from my boat.

Hmmm...is that a lovat-coloured 54 foot Springer? I don't recognise the name but the description sounds familiar. If so, that's along our road and I know the family who bought it. It's one of the first Springers, built 1969.

Chas Hardern on the Shropshire Union, between Nantwich and Chester, used to run a fleet of Springers.

We shared a double width lock with one once... never again, the earlier springers had a rough welded out turned edge where the deck and hull met, if this was below our rubbing strake, and we hadn't got the chance to raise the fenders, it took chunks out of our gel coat, it was like a rasp. They were at the budget end of the hire market at the time.

Edit:-

Just thought I would add a link about the history of Chas Hardern and his fleet of "Springers"

http://www.chashardern.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2013/04/WWarticleMay2013.pdf

Edited by RD1

It's how the OP expressed it! Most car journeys are described in time rather than distance!

But the thread title clearly states "distances", which are properly measured in miles or, by foreigners, in kilometres.

I guess that the use of time to express a distanced is an abbreviation. For example, I could say "We live 96 miles from our mooring. It takes us just over two hours to get there"; I could say "We live two hours from our boat", as it would be shorter and would still be understood.

But I don't.

Ten minutes (three miles) to ferry terminal. Four hours (67 miles) sailing to Heysham. Two and a half hours (95 miles) to "Cobweb".

Cost per visit £130 (approx) providing I'm on the bike, £280 if I'm in the car.

Ironbridge to Dover, 250 miles (?) Dunkirk to Valenciennes about 100. But sometimes its in Holland and sometimes its even further away in Burgundy so odd weekend visits are not really on so every summer is a trip of weeks or months. Even with the cost of travel and the worthless £ its still cheaper than UK licences and moorings.