Taylor's Heaters, identifying paraffin or diesel

hounddog

Featured Posts

The Taylors paraffin / kerosine version is badged as a Model 79 K as opposed to 79 D . The flue pipe on the K model is significantly thinner at 1 " than the diesel version at 3" .

I know this cos i have a 79K ........ under the bed as i don t have time to fit it alas

cheers

ETA . To correct spelling erras

Edited by chubby

it doesn't have a badge that i can see, the flue is 60mm, do you know what size the diesel flue is?

though this is a clue, i may be able to trace through parts lists.

it doesn't run very well on diesel anyway.

are you saying your flue is 2"? sorry i'm not sure i understand which you mean is 3"

I have a 79 K . Its flue is 1 inch wide . My understanding is the diesel version has a 3 inch flue .

On the front door is an oval badge with the word " Taylors " and the number 79 K .

If yours has no oval badge with the name on it then maybe its some older model. Google Taylors 79K & compare the pictures with what you have - but there should be a badge present identifying which type it is

Im a bit confused as i haven t quoted 2" in my above post ???? Mine has a 1 " flue , diesel has a 3" at least as i understand it . Professor Google will confirm this

cheers

Edited by chubby

Im a bit confused as i haven t quoted 2" in my above post ???? Mine has a 1 " flue , diesel has a 3" at least as i understand it . Professor Google will confirm this

cheers

I understand now ! This must be a diesel then as it's certainly not a 1" flue. As I say it's 60mm although a bit oval, 2 1/4" more or less. I think it is a 1980s unit so maybe the flue has increased since then.

No badge.

Im surprised too about the flue size . I notice that heaters like the Bengco & Pansey ( yachty type things ) , which are charcoal heaters have a 1" flue also .

I like the fact that the 79K has such a slim flue as it looks better i think . The tank for it is pressurised & can go anywhere within 5 metres of the heater - its not gravity feed so the tank can be away from the heater itself .

Unfortunately due to other pressures on my time ive been unable to install it . It was a bit of a luxury item to be honest & only for very cold nights to heat the back end of the boat (58ft trad ) . Paraffin is comparitively pricey but considering its for occasional use i didn t really consider the fuel cost to be an issue .

I read , at least i think i did , that paraffin only becomes flammable when pressurised meaning other containers of paraffin are safe whilst not being used . Is that true ?

Id of the boat (58ft trad ) . Paraffin is comparitively pricey but considering its for occasional use i didn t really consider the fuel cost to be an issue .

I read , at least i think i did , that paraffin only becomes flammable when pressurised meaning other containers of paraffin are safe whilst not being used . Is that true ?

If that was the case, Paraffin lamps which use wicks would not work.

I understand now ! This must be a diesel then as it's certainly not a 1" flue. As I say it's 60mm although a bit oval, 2 1/4" more or less. I think it is a 1980s unit so maybe the flue has increased since then.

No badge.

Are you certain its a Taylors ?? Theyve been building these heaters for donkeys years and the design seems to change little . The lack of badge & oval flue makes me think it may be a Dickinsons instead . I did hours of research when considering a secondary heater as it needed to be bulkhead mounted and cost was an issue so i had to patiently bide my time bidding on ebay and eventually came up trumps in October . The Dickinsons definately had an oval flue fitting at the top of the heater unit which then became a truly round flue up to the ceiling .

Can u post a piccy ?

If that was the case, Paraffin lamps which use wicks would not work.

Cheers for this . I ' m certain i did read it somewhere on t'internet but you never really know so maybe i d read it wrong or whoever posted it was wrong .