Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
magpie patrick

Gordon's Pleasure Cruisers - Lutine Bell

Featured Posts

The wooden handrails were very distinctive although I remember them as made from single pieces of timber rather than fixed to upstands from the cabin roof as they appear to be in the photo. It could be my memory playing tricks or perhaps the fact that not all the boats had the exact same construction details.

Reading the thread from last August I recall that Thrupp, Cropredy and Claydon Navigators were the three boats that made up a class of 40' sleep 4/5 boats. These boats also had a relatively large cruiser stern so cabin space was efficiently used. They were reverse layout which was galley/double dinette/shower and toilet/front cabin with 2 no. singles plus a bunk a wash basin; all in a cabin of 25' or so. We hired Thrupp Navigator three years in a row from 1977 - 1979 with a family of five and visited Coventry, Oxford and Snarestone and then moved onto the 50' Measham Navigator for a trip round the Warwickshire Ring with granny before going back to 40' for four of us to go to Aylesbury and back in a week once Blisworth tunnel had reopened.

JP

I can't remember the length of Isis, but I imagine about 35 foot. There were only the three of us, all girls, and it was our first hire, so we would have favoured something smaller, both for price and ease of use. We went up to Rugby. I particularly remember some little towny oiks chucking stones at the boats. Plus ça change, eh!

On 4/15/2018 at 19:29, Captain Pegg said:

The wooden handrails were very distinctive although I remember them as made from single pieces of timber rather than fixed to upstands from the cabin roof as they appear to be in the photo. It could be my memory playing tricks or perhaps the fact that not all the boats had the exact same construction details.

Reading the thread from last August I recall that Thrupp, Cropredy and Claydon Navigators were the three boats that made up a class of 40' sleep 4/5 boats. These boats also had a relatively large cruiser stern so cabin space was efficiently used. They were reverse layout which was galley/double dinette/shower and toilet/front cabin with 2 no. singles plus a bunk a wash basin; all in a cabin of 25' or so. We hired Thrupp Navigator three years in a row from 1977 - 1979 with a family of five and visited Coventry, Oxford and Snarestone and then moved onto the 50' Measham Navigator for a trip round the Warwickshire Ring with granny before going back to 40' for four of us to go to Aylesbury and back in a week once Blisworth tunnel had reopened.

JP

Which begs the question (that I'm not sure I want to ask) did they have any 45 foot narrow boats?

I wish I could get hold of an old brochure - either theirs or the agency they used

13 hours ago, magpie patrick said:

Which begs the question (that I'm not sure I want to ask) did they have any 45 foot narrow boats?

I wish I could get hold of an old brochure - either theirs or the agency they used

I take it Lutine Bell is 45'? As was stated earlier it was big fleet so it's quite possible. Gordons' agent was Hoseasons.

JP

On 18/04/2018 at 12:31, X Alan W said:

But according to the info on that link Not Trading

Mark Gordon still has some boats, sadly Rachel died recently, so the information isnt up to date.

Have you removed all the drawers and looked at their bases?

I don't know about canal hire boats but on the Broads it was common practice for hire companies to mark the boat's name on the drawer bottoms.

When I had the Broads cruiser Vistabell all the drawers had the name under them apart from one which had "Gaybell" written instead so presumably the system wasn't 100% foolproof.

I was scanning some old photo's for someone else and a gordons pleasure cruisers boat came up "Banbury Navigator" from around 1977, pictures shared below with permission.

with regard to the handrails they appear to be made up in 3 lengths on each side

scan037.jpg.1470542dd0eca3fe652e528892a92d7b.jpgscan031.jpg.0de35b6511ab6e797c0fdbd808f79890.jpgscan018.jpg.c75ea321d69ca3283484954da137db84.jpgscan056.jpg.b04a0cf2f4526d0c3964309351c2d916.jpg