White goods - Dishwasher/Washing Machine plumbing and dimensions etc

Featured Posts

Good to see that we can all laugh and appreciate our differences :)

Chubby - so much for a simple life - you've obviously got t'internet! :)

mross - I've got a water guage so running out of water mid shower is reasonably unlikely.

Robbo - I'd love a built in diesel generator! I heard they are a couple grand? I think I might be able to stretch to about half that, and I have seen a company supplying petrol generators already fitted with lpg conversions (or you can just get the lpg thingy to fit yourself I believe) - I imagine this is vastly better than petrol with all its expense, danger and hassle? After all a big lpg cylinder will last quite a while and still apparently works out half as expensive. Far better than lugging and storing cans of petrol.

I didn't have much luck finding portable diesel generators, any advice there? Maybe time to start another thread though...

Good to see that we can all laugh and appreciate our differences :)

Chubby - so much for a simple life - you've obviously got t'internet! :)

mross - I've got a water guage so running out of water mid shower is reasonably unlikely.

Robbo - I'd love a built in diesel generator! I heard they are a couple grand? I think I might be able to stretch to about half that, and I have seen a company supplying petrol generators already fitted with lpg conversions (or you can just get the lpg thingy to fit yourself I believe) - I imagine this is vastly better than petrol with all its expense, danger and hassle? After all a big lpg cylinder will last quite a while and still apparently works out half as expensive. Far better than lugging and storing cans of petrol.

I didn't have much luck finding portable diesel generators, any advice there? Maybe time to start another thread though...

I think you would be lucky to find a built in genny for anything less than 4-6k. If I had around 1k to spend I would install a high amp (like 170amp) alternator on the main engine in addition to the current one and add some sound insulation.

Portable gennys you will hate, noisy, nickable and awkward with having to set them up on the towpath everytime you want to charge the batteries. Much easier to press a start button.

LPG is just as bad as petrol.

Edited by Robbo
  • Greenie 1

• 3 weeks later...

I wonder if anyone can advise on how best to get the cold water supply from one side of the boat to the other? My kitchen is galley style, the water is on plastic piping - dunno if its Hep2o or speedfit. So I'm looking at T'ing off then going under the floor - but I'm concerned about leaks or splits/freezes. If I can do it in such a way that there are no joins under the floor I'd be happier but I don't think the plastic pipe has enough bend in it for that. I was almost thinking maybe a T, then an isloation valve (just in case) then long washing machine hose - keep it simple? Could wrap that flat felty pipe insulation round the hose.

Has anyone a similar set up?

My other option would be a separate cold pipe from the tank/pump at the bow, running down the other side of the boat - or possibly a pipe above the boat floor to be covered up with a deep decorative floor (laminate as and when).

I suppose that if you do get any leaks, the water pump will warn you :(

I wonder if anyone can advise on how best to get the cold water supply from one side of the boat to the other? My kitchen is galley style, the water is on plastic piping - dunno if its Hep2o or speedfit. So I'm looking at T'ing off then going under the floor - but I'm concerned about leaks or splits/freezes. If I can do it in such a way that there are no joins under the floor I'd be happier but I don't think the plastic pipe has enough bend in it for that. I was almost thinking maybe a T, then an isloation valve (just in case) then long washing machine hose - keep it simple? Could wrap that flat felty pipe insulation round the hose.

Has anyone a similar set up?

My other option would be a separate cold pipe from the tank/pump at the bow, running down the other side of the boat - or possibly a pipe above the boat floor to be covered up with a deep decorative floor (laminate as and when).

I suppose that if you do get any leaks, the water pump will warn you sad.png

You could run the water pipe up and over, especially if you can get it behind the side and roof lining.

You could run the water pipe up and over, especially if you can get it behind the side and roof lining.

I think from a freezing point of view I would rather run it under the floor wit just a bend at each end and no joints. I ran pipes under the floor but the ends are under units with liftable floors so can easily be accessed.

"The average dishwasher uses 6 gallons of water per cycle; the average Energy Star-rated dishwasher uses 4 gallons per cycle, and their energy use ranges from 1.59 kWh per load down to 0.87 kWh per load."

neither of which is thinking like a boater. By all means treat your boat like a house but be prepared to spend a lot of time and money on basic services.

incidentally 1kwh is 83Ah at 12v so better make sure your power generation is up to it.

Dont know where these figures come from. Our Indesit compact dishwasher uses 8 litres on a 30 minute cycle, the,one we use most. It has never leaked water on the floor despite boats going past fast.

Don't bet on it. The Zanussi Studio washing machine has been reported to not work on this inverter.

Quite right. Our Zanussi compact refuses to work properly despite trying a resistive load at the same time or increasing the voltage as suggested by Victron. Never tried running the dishwasher via the inverter as it is 3000w so only use it with the generator.

Not really to do with the OP but why, when an appliance goes wrong, do they send the largest engineer they employ to repair it?

As far as I am aware, you can't install an LPG generator inside the boat any more than you can install a petrol one. The boat I had with an lpg generator had it mounted in what was effectively a separate gas locker. LPG is at least as dangerous as petrol in boats.

I think you need to budget a bit more than £2K to install a proper diesel generator inside the boat.

Perhaps with patience and time you may be able to use an electricians cable pull through http://www.ebay.co.uk/bhp/cable-pulling-rodsto link from one side to the other under the floor. This can then be used to pull a

continuous plastic pipe (Hep2O). You could then slide pipe insulation over the pipe before joining each end. It might also be possible to cut a groove in your floor which could the be covered with say aluminium to protect same from foot traffic.

At the moment, access will be ok - I can get a section of floor up. I think a washing machine hose on a T from the supply pipe, plus valve, then maybe just a Y splitter and two more bits of hose should see it done. Or I could run two hoses but then just twice as much chance of a leak.

I'm not sure about skin fittings for the waste though - are there different sizes?

Having just bought a brand spanking new dishwasher for the house, I'm very much a fan of what they can do. However, I really cannot see the point of having one on board -- do you really get through that much crockery? How many people are going to be on board? If there are lots of bodies, why can't they can wash up in turn? If there are one or two of you, washing up handraulically will take all of five minutes.

Yes

but thats so 20th century . This is Britain of 2017 where we need " stuff " all the time , more & more .... gotta keep buying ... stuff .

Sink , hot water , fairy liquid , 10 minutes , job done , feet up .

Johnny London .... get to poundshop today Sir .

cheers

Having just bought a brand spanking new dishwasher for the house, I'm very much a fan of what they can do. However, I really cannot see the point of having one on board -- do you really get through that much crockery? How many people are going to be on board? If there are lots of bodies, why can't they can wash up in turn? If there are one or two of you, washing up handraulically will take all of five minutes.

We have a dishwasher at home but not on the boat.

We find when there are just the two of us, it is just as quick to hand wash-up as it is to load the dishwasher.

However it is a boon when we have guests.

We find when there are just the two of us, it is just as quick to hand wash-up as it is to load the dishwasher.

We have one at home and there are only 2 of us, the same two who go to our boat, but I wont be fitting one as its to much space, electricity and hassle.

At the moment, access will be ok - I can get a section of floor up. I think a washing machine hose on a T from the supply pipe, plus valve, then maybe just a Y splitter and two more bits of hose should see it done. Or I could run two hoses but then just twice as much chance of a leak.

I'm not sure about skin fittings for the waste though - are there different sizes?

I would suggest that proper water pipe would be a much better job than bits of hose.

Yes - agree 100%. There was a fine line between replacing the old one and not bothering.

I do wish people would either add something helpful or not bother at all - I didn't ask for an opinion about whether or not these appliances are a good or bad idea, I asked for some advice re fittings etc.

Thanks to those who have offered helpful ideas, I'll let you know how I get on.

• 1 month later...

I've just read the whole thread through because I have been thinking about a dishwasher - I have a cupboard plumbed and wired for a washing machine, which neither the first owners or I have ever fitted. On my own I felt the cupboard was more use for saucepans! However, I am somewhat domestically challenged at the best of times and with the prospect of 15 weeks of touring, many nights of my co-performer staying on the boat (she is already making slightly pointed jokes about washing up) and the likelihood of being the principal caterer for a team of anything up to six people as we work our way round the journey the wartime women trainees made, I looked it up because I wanted to hear some experiences of fitting, what I would need to consider re waste water, whether it would need a pump and suchlike...

So, knowing how anyone who has one sorted out the waste water pipe would be really helpful.

If you want to tell me that I really don't need one, you are probably absolutely right, but that wasn't the question - I can feel quite inadequate enough at my untidy kitchen without any help! 

Thank you

You didn't ask, but -

Are you aware that a dishwasher will take a fair (well a lot) of electric power, which for you means a large inverter, a big battery bank and a large battery bank.

Such things like where to put it and how to get rid of the waste water pale into insignificance...

Even a table top variety (do they still exist) needs a lot of electric power 

If it's using hot water from the tank via the calorifier so only needing power to pump the water through would it use much power? That is what most people I know who have a washing machine do - use it when on the move (or on a shoreline)

My inverter is 600w and I have 375amp battery bank. I have generally been a very low power user - a couple of modest kitchen items (hand blender/small mixer), laptop/bike light charging and... that's all actually. I have a TV and video player but haven't used them since the Beeb invented iPlayer! And stuff like a sander that I only use when mainlining the national grid. 

Table top do still exist - to my suprise, there are several different models. All basically exactly the same although it's intriguing to wonder why the huge price differences...

24 minutes ago, Kate_MM said:

I've just read the whole thread through because I have been thinking about a dishwasher - I have a cupboard plumbed and wired for a washing machine, which neither the first owners or I have ever fitted. On my own I felt the cupboard was more use for saucepans! However, I am somewhat domestically challenged at the best of times and with the prospect of 15 weeks of touring, many nights of my co-performer staying on the boat (she is already making slightly pointed jokes about washing up) and the likelihood of being the principal caterer for a team of anything up to six people as we work our way round the journey the wartime women trainees made, I looked it up because I wanted to hear some experiences of fitting, what I would need to consider re waste water, whether it would need a pump and suchlike...

So, knowing how anyone who has one sorted out the waste water pipe would be really helpful.

If you want to tell me that I really don't need one, you are probably absolutely right, but that wasn't the question - I can feel quite inadequate enough at my untidy kitchen without any help! 

Thank you

Most use a separate skin fitting for the waste pipe, doesnt need a pump as already has one.

Hi Kate,

I'll be in a position to tell you a lot more soon - as I have just taken on board a shiny new full size dishwasher. The model I went for is a Kenwood KID60S15 (I think that stands for Kenwood Integrated Dishwasher, 60cm wide, Silver (panel) the 15 is a mystery as its 14 places.) Anyway, it says it only uses 9 litres (but I don't know on which setting of the nine available they are referring to). It's certainly not much water to worry about even at double that - especially when you think how much doing things ad hoc in the sink can get through, by the time you've rinsed. You can see I'm pro dishwasher!

But, to answer your question, yes it will need a fair amount of power - if all 9 litres of water is heated, and then if the drying cycle uses hot air. So I would say a BIG inverter (thinking 3kw?) for the peak parts of the cycle (water heating). While it's just swishing away doing its thing I think power consumption will be low).

The other thing re pumpimg out - well they all self pump anyway so just use a skin fitting (I think the ID of the hose is 19 or 20mm) - I put mine pretty high up, above the rubbing strake so used nylon ones, so effectively its maybe 10cm below the top of the machine - well at least the washing machine one is done and working fine - dishwasher to do next week!

By the way - and to my surprise - hss hole saws very effective for cutting that kind of size hole in the hull! Went through easy.

Someone did mention there could be a problem with water spilling out if the machine is not level - so I'm assuming there is water sitting in the underneath of it even when you open the door to unload at the end? Or perhaps they meant if you decide to interrupt it mid cycle. I'll let you know next week!

Oh - one other thing - with my experience of the washing machine so far (need charged batteries before starting a wash AND have engine running at good revs at least for the water heating phase) it seems to me that it would be a lot more sensible to use a hot feed into the cold fill - with some type of thermostatic mixer valve so you can choose the wash temperature. Certainly something I will look into later on.

Good luck and do report back on how it all goes.

Edited by Johny London

I didn't think about the hot air drying bit... I was thinking it would use less power than a washing machine because there isn't any spin. But of course, it has a heater to dry with - that might put the kybosh on the idea.

Bother.

Bother.

and thrice bother.

Perhaps I'll just have to recruit teams of men to do the washing up on the tour (the women will be busy with the boats).