Duck tape

blackrose

Featured Posts

They're right though. Decent Gaffer Tape is flexible, incredibly sticky, and doesn't leave an adhesive residue (unless left for weeks and weeks). I repaired a trouser pocket with Gaffer Tape once and it lasted for years, going through the wash time after time.

Indeed. If you are feeling flush you can buy NEC grade which isn't supposed to leave any residue however long you leave it down....mind you I've used some cheap stuff over the years which has resulted in some hasty exits from venues........

Mike, I have some 15 year old Gaffa it is beginning to lose its tack. Pack your stash away well, don’t have any pressure / weight on the rolls. "Gaffa tape for people who can’t fix stuff proper". Air con installers and carpet fitters are the legitimate users, everyone else is a bodging. Gaffa tape will break down over time with UV exposure, Adheres to itself better than anything especially face to face, pressure and warmth are your friends in use. Ticker Tape and Advance are my two of my personal favourites, different makes suit certain jobs. The funniest use of Gaffa, I worked in a band as a sound engineer, we were the support act on a UK tour and on the final night the road crew placed long lengths of gaffa face up all the way across the stage. Band walks on in darkness, when the lights went up how we laughed. Well i did till the band fired up to find the PA crew had totally repatched my channels so bass drum was now vocal channel, vocal now hi-hat etc.

I can't see it from the link - only the original Duck tape. The stuff I got is the Ultimate version.

I'd be interested to know if it's £1 a roll in other branches too.

Wouldn't have even though of going to B&M for Duck tape.

We only bought some last week from Screwfix at about £4 a roll!

Not according to web-links such as this, which reckons DUCK was the original name, and it got changed when another suitable use was found for it.

We have just had welding work done on our engine room, and they protect the port hole glasses from flying hot metal by layering this tape over it, (and the brass!).

After it had remained on a few weeks it was the devils own job to remove, and left most of the glue, and some of the fibre behind. Huge amounts of glue remover were needed for the clean up.

Definitely use with caution!

We had a similar problem when we masked NC's hull up for applying fresh antifoul paint with normal masking tape. Took us longer to get the residue off the hull then it did to apply the paint.

Have used low tack masking tape since and not had the same problem again.

It works wonders on warts and Verrucas.

The doctor recommended it ages ago for the children. I asked could I have it on prescription and and what colour. She didn't laugh.

Yes, the wart or verruca needs to be exposed to the air to grow, keeping it covered with a strip of tape will eventually cause it to disappear completely

Yes, the wart or verruca needs to be exposed to the air to grow, keeping it covered with a strip of tape will eventually cause it to disappear completely

I wish I'd known that when I was small. I could have avoided a painful operation to remove a wart from the same position on the palm of both hands.

Anyone else, ahem, repaired car bodywork with duck tape and then coloured it in with appropriately coloured marker pen?

Or slapped underseal over it. I bought an Anglia once and when I started doing some tarting up I discovered that a large proportion of the A posts were formed in this way ;)

I was 18 and both inexperienced and naive.

Anyone else, ahem, repaired car bodywork with duck tape and then coloured it in with appropriately coloured marker pen?

Not repainted it, but used it to get rally cars to the finish when body work has been "modified" or to hold windows in when the body has been "re-arranged".

While on the subject of tape, I recently discovered self amalgamating tape, which I used on some exterior satellite cable connectors. Now that stuff really has got some dark magic in its production. I now call it Harry Potter tape!!!

Edited by LoneEcho