Boat sunk on the Macc on Marple

Alway Swilby

Featured Posts

I hesitate to post an update here because I don't want to start an argument!

However: As previously thought the boat has quite a large hole in it and subsequently despite various pumps, small to large, the boat is still on the bottom. The owner knows there is a hole but is not sure where hence trying to pump it out to find out. The location is inaccessible to a crane. Today's first attempt was worth trying if only to prove to the owner the scale of the problem. Please be aware that when the boat first sank he was taken off to hospital suffering from hypothermia and had little clue what was going on having just been on board his home while it sunk.

The reference in a previous post here referring to our blog and how the fire brigade had patched the leak shows that that is obviously incorrect. It's what a fire fighter told us at the time and also he told the owner the same.

I don't know what happens next. It's up to the owner how he wants to proceed.

He is very grateful to all those that turned up today to help.

The owner is an 84 year old lady, she is working with her insurance company and RCR to get it lifted and recovered. The homeless boater is now on another boat in Poynton.

The owner is an 84 year old lady, she is working with her insurance company and RCR to get it lifted and recovered. The homeless boater is now on another boat in Poynton.

It's really confusing that elsewhere on Facebook a funding site has raised a significant amount of money from fellow boaters for a homeless boater for him to repair a boat that apparently transpires is not his. If he's homeless no doubt a good cause but perhaps the funds should also be shared with the 84 year old lady who has lost her boat.

It's really confusing that elsewhere on Facebook a funding site has raised a significant amount of money from fellow boaters for a homeless boater for him to repair a boat that apparently transpires is not his. If he's homeless no doubt a good cause but perhaps the funds should also be shared with the 84 year old lady who has lost her boat.

That would appear to me to be a very fair distribution.

But she may be insured and get the boat repaired that way where as the chap may have lost all his worldly goods. Its only a thought, I dont know if that is the case.

I guess we can trust that those who set up the fund and those who generously contributed will sort it out in the best way.

But she may be insured and get the boat repaired that way where as the chap may have lost all his worldly goods. Its only a thought, I dont know if that is the case.

I would have thought that if the money was donated for "repairing the boat", then using it to replace the goods and chattels of the 'renter' is not within the spirit of the donations.

Maybe I could set up a fund as I want to bring a couple of orphan refugee kids into the country, but then once I have the money I'll use it to go on holiday instead.

There are too many folks happy to take advantage of the generosity of others.

• Greenie 1

From just quickly scanning this particular thread I must say I am suprised at how many of you have a resident 12 year old!! Farcebook surely is a childrens pass time? so most of us will never be able to see any posts on it? I suggest posts on this forum rather than a childrens social media site may get better response. Just sayin like.

From just quickly scanning this particular thread I must say I am suprised at how many of you have a resident 12 year old!! Farcebook surely is a childrens pass time? so most of us will never be able to see any posts on it? I suggest posts on this forum rather than a childrens social media site may get better response. Just sayin like.

Children don't use Facebook, they use other . I understand the average age of users is now over 40.

• Greenie 1

[quote name="Mike the Boilerman" post="1943619" timestamp="1484173989"

I went there once.

I thought the plaice had no sole.

Plenty of pike though. I don't know if the person setting up the page has let people know, that is the impression most set to have got

Edited by StarUKKiwi

Most kids wouldn't be seen dead on Facebook, it is a site mostly full of opinionated yet ill informed adults. The sort of posts you make would actually fit in very well there, which is why I stay away from it.

• Greenie 2

12 year old's use SnapChat.

I would have thought that if the money was donated for "repairing the boat", then using it to replace the goods and chattels of the 'renter' is not within the spirit of the donations.

Maybe I could set up a fund as I want to bring a couple of orphan refugee kids into the country, but then once I have the money I'll use it to go on holiday instead.

There are too many folks happy to take advantage of the generosity of others.

Wow! what a mean spirited post; and one based on ignorance as well.

If you'd bothered to look at the fundraising page you'd see that it was started to raise money to help out Dave (rather than "repair the boat" as you wrongly guess) and the amount quickly raised is a reflection on how many people know and like Dave.

Your comment on him taking advantage of the generosity of others is very wide of the mark as well. Dave is one of the most kind and helpful and generous boaters I know - a few years ago I used to meet him a lot and many times he was helping someone else out.

Once he gave me a load of wood just because he had lots and I was getting a bit low and he wouldn't take any money for it

But you (and the others making comments in a similar vein) carry on in your ignorant bubble making judgments about people you dont know based on incorrect suppositions - you're only making yourself look ignorant

• Greenie 2

If you'd bothered to look at the fundraising page you'd see that it was started to raise money to help out Dave (rather than "repair the boat" as you wrongly guess) and the amount quickly raised is a reflection on how many people know and like Dave.

Not being inclined to register or use facebook, I would have no idea how to access the funding site.

The information was kindly provided by another poster, which if you had bothered to read the thread you would have seen, however to help you I have attached it below;

Edited by Alan de Enfield

Wow! what a mean spirited post; and one based on ignorance as well.

Your comment on him taking advantage of the generosity of others is very wide of the mark as well. Dave is one of the most kind and helpful and generous boaters I know - a few years ago I used to meet him a lot and many times he was helping someone else out.

Once he gave me a load of wood just because he had lots and I was getting a bit low and he wouldn't take any money for it

But you (and the others making comments in a similar vein) carry on in your ignorant bubble making judgments about people you dont know based on incorrect suppositions - you're only making yourself look ignorant

Wolfie, I think Alan's post was more "misinformed" than "mean-spirited and ignorant". We can all make a mistake. But thank you for providing accurate information.

Not being inclined to register or use facebook, I would have no idea how to access the funding site.

The information was kindly provided by another poster, which if you had bothered to read the thread you would have seen, however to help you I have attached it below;

The funding site is nothing to do with facebook. It was first mentioned on this thread by someone who posted a link to it (before the post you quote).

But you didn't bother to read it did you - you decided to make your mean little post based on Tuscan's incorrect post

Wolfie, I think Alan's post was more "misinformed" than "mean-spirited and ignorant". We can all make a mistake. But thank you for providing accurate information.

I think we're going to have to disagree here Athy - the information was accessible but Mr de Enfield chose to pick another speculative rumour-mongering post (notice the 'apparently' in Tuscan's post he quotes) to base his ill-informed opining on

It looks that way - though, if Alan, as you say, based his post on another member's incorrect post, then he was indeed misinformed. So we are, in a way, agreeing, though perhaps more on the content than the intent.

Most kids wouldn't be seen dead on Facebook, it is a site mostly full of opinionated yet ill informed adults. The sort of posts you make would actually fit in very well there, which is why I stay away from it.

Haa luv it. Well funnily enough Ms Fish my posts are opinionated by my opinion you can also use your opinion in your posts. Put me on your ignores list cos I aint going anywhere soon wink.png

The saddest thing in all this is the 84 year old lady who owns the boat now has the job of recovery and has lost all the possessions on the boat, all she has left of her late husband and the cruising they did are the photos (edited for auto typing error)

Edited by StarUKKiwi