Real narrowboat living battle with CRT

narrowboatham

Featured Posts

My post wasn't about the harassment by CRT I was just trying to understand her logic or lack thereof.

The video opens with her stating that diesels are dirty and polluting and shows her pedalling her boat. CRT revoke her licence due to not moving enough and threaten to oik her boat out of the water and destroy it. Rather than move the boat she sells it and moves into a van, which one can only assume she is going to travel in, the van has a dirty polluting Diesel engine. So her argument for not wanting to pollute is a bit on the weak side.

Logically if you are going to end up with a Diesel engine why not just put one in the boat and comply with the cruising rules.

I suspect the only movement this boat made was a weekly trip to the water point and back again, how far is a pedal powered narrowboat actually going to get?

I further suspect that she didn't want to cruise and wanted to stay in exactly the same spot with the same little community.

Just because someone wants to live a hippy lifestyle doesn't mean they are exempt from the rules especially when they are basically saying "look at me aren't I good to the environment by having a pedal powered boat, no dirty diesel here, oh woe is me I can't move far because I only have pedal power." And then they show their hypocracy by moving into a diesel powered van; the argument starts to fall apart somewhat.

Sorry if my post was a little 'obscure'

I support your statement and sentiments fully - I was suggesting that if you search you will find that a number of other boaters make similar claims to justify their non-nomadic lifestyle, from..... "my little boy has made friends with a squirrel, we couldn't possibly move, he would be heart broken, I just don't know what to do, C&RT are so uncaring" to the anarchist claim that "property is theft, we do not need to move, its a free country", and "I am a freeman of the land and the police and courts have no authority over me and I am not bound by UK laws".

There are so many weirdo's about !! (in my opinion)

• Greenie 1

Just come to Bradford on Avon, and I can show you a whole road adjacent to the canal on one side, and a and modern housing estate on the other, which is full of a variety of "interesting" vehicles, some with chimneys coming out of the roof!

We will be seeing more of these as time goes on.

There are so many weirdo's about !! (in my opinion)

Nothing wrong with being weird! It's being weird and disrupting everyone else's harmony that's the problem.

Ironic though that if you are a bit odd and poor you are weird but if you come from money you are the great British eccentric.

• Greenie 4

Just because someone wants to live a hippy lifestyle doesn't mean they are exempt from the rules especially when they are basically saying "look at me aren't I good to the environment by having a pedal powered boat, no dirty diesel here, oh woe is me I can't move far because I only have pedal power." And then they show their hypocracy by moving into a diesel powered van; the argument starts to fall apart somewhat.

Quite right when she could have one of these....

article-2324857-19C95620000005DC-118_634

• Greenie 1

I doesn't look like there any live aboard continuous cruisers here to defend themselves. Maybe they have left this forum (or been banned) because they don't agree.

Me too. I dont have any problems either. Admittedly sometimes I've overstayed, but in contacting the local EO having explained my position, they have without fail always been helpful. In my (limited) experience, these people having problems are stretching the rules (albeit ambiguous rules) a bit too far. I am sure when you can see the whole CCing pattern of these boats, the answer would be obvious. If they have some ties to the area, they will gravitate back and forth without looking at all like " Bona Fide Navigation "

I think, in their defence, it also seems like most of these boats concerned seem to be. . . . . how do I put this . . . . ..not "smart enough" ( sorry if that upsets anyone) for CRT, who does not want them spoiling the view and enjoyment of others.

• Greenie 3

I just ask myself why CRT are being stricter on enforcement of the rules, if indeed they are?

Could it be that they are doing so in order to ensure that there are moorings available for those who are genuinely continuous cruising, and that the canals are not clogged up by those looking for a free mooring near to their work or kids schools..

• Greenie 1

I just ask myself why CRT are being stricter on enforcement of the rules, if indeed they are?

Could it be that they are doing so in order to ensure that there are moorings available for those who are genuinely continuous cruising, and that the canals are not clogged up by those looking for a free mooring near to their work or kids schools..

I think they are.

They have a duty to maximise their income, this combined with the rise in livaboard CC numbers not all of whom play entirely to the rules or even to the spirit of the rules mean lost revenue.

I wish CRT would adhere to The Rools as I wish everyone's boat adheres to them.

It's a numbers game and like it or not needs regulating, but only as far as statute allows.

I hate piss-takers.

Edited by tomsk

Actually, I think its mainly due to pressure on CRT from those who live on the bank.

When you get to know a few people who live in canalside villages its remarkable how familiar they are with the CC rules. I think back in the day CMers grabbing spots and colonising the towpath led to a LOT of resentment from the local residents with clout to pressure CRT into enforcing the law, so the local residents learned the rules in order to apply the pressure.

Thats how I see it these days anyway, since getting involved in bellringing and getting to know quite a few villagers as a result.

• Greenie 1

Actually, I think its mainly due to pressure on CRT from those who live on the bank.

When you get to know a few people who live in canalside villages its remarkable how familiar they are with the CC rules. I think back in the day CMers grabbing spots and colonising the towpath led to a LOT of resentment from the local residents with clout to pressure CRT into enforcing the law, so the local residents learned the rules in order to apply the pressure.

Thats how I see it these days anyway, since getting involved in bellringing and getting to know quite a few villagers as a result.

I believe that you are right in your assessment. I think that the bankside dwellers have put some pressure on CRT, you only need to look at some of the notices that have sprung up in recent years, Cropredy where you are told not to run your engine on the moorings opposite the houses, Ansty where a whole embankment has 'No Mooring' signs presumably because you'd be in line with the bedroom windows of the terrace of houses facing it. When I overstayed in Oxford last year whilst trying to wait for the Thames to come out of flood, I was approached by one of the local residents who quite forcefully told me that I'd, "...had my two weeks...".

I believe that you are right in your assessment. I think that the bankside dwellers have put some pressure on CRT, you only need to look at some of the notices that have sprung up in recent years, Cropredy where you are told not to run your engine on the moorings opposite the houses, Ansty where a whole embankment has 'No Mooring' signs presumably because you'd be in line with the bedroom windows of the terrace of houses facing it. When I overstayed in Oxford last year whilst trying to wait for the Thames to come out of flood, I was approached by one of the local residents who quite forcefully told me that I'd, "...had my two weeks...".

And at Kintbury there are several CRT signs saying "This is a residential area. Please do not run engines or generators at unsociable hours."

And last year someone, a resident presumably, defaced them all by scratching out the words "at unsociable hours". New signs have now been erected with the words replaced.

And at Kintbury there are several CRT signs saying "This is a residential area. Please do not run engines or generators at unsociable hours."

And last year someone, a resident presumably, defaced them all by scratching out the words "at unsociable hours". New signs have now been erected with the words replaced.

Try erecting your own sign that says "please do not buy a house next to a canal if you don't like the sounds and smells of engines and generators"

Next thing you know people who buy houses near airports will be complaining about the noise of aircraft!

Try erecting your own sign that says "please do not buy a house next to a canal if you don't like the sounds and smells of engines and generators"

Next thing you know people who buy houses near airports will be complaining about the noise of aircraft!

A couple of miles from us a couple bought a bungalow next door to the village church. We'd viewed the house ourselves as we were considering moving at the time. Lovely house in a beautiful location. Within 3 months the new owners were complaining about the sound of the church bells...

A couple of miles from us a couple bought a bungalow next door to the village church. We'd viewed the house ourselves as we were considering moving at the time. Lovely house in a beautiful location. Within 3 months the new owners were complaining about the sound of the church bells...

Not only that but when the church bells fall silent (usually due to an elderly band of ringers throwing in the towel), the same people complain about that too!

Several churches have been issued with noise abatement notices over the last few recent years due to numpties complaining of the bells. Many of them now are no longer allowed to ring their bells during certain night time hours and some have had to stop their bells altogether due to the complexity of them being unable to just shut them off for the evening. Utter madness.

Several churches have been issued with noise abatement notices over the last few recent years due to numpties complaining of the bells. Many of them now are no longer allowed to ring their bells during certain night time hours and some have had to stop their bells altogether due to the complexity of them being unable to just shut them off for the evening. Utter madness.

Most church towers have an agreement in place to have one practice evening a week (usually from 7.30 to 9.00pm). This is necessary to get new ringers trained up. It is widely accepted that church bellringing is A Good Thing and must not be stamped out entirely.

I bet half the moaners got married in a church and expected there to be bells...

In this case they (the complainers) were shouted down by the rest of the locals and their complaint was dismissed. Common sense prevailed.