Bridgewater Closed 13th Feb till 24th May

Pie Eater

Featured Posts

There is also an official notice about the 7 days in 28 at Liegh Bridge as you enter the Bridgewater Canal

It is a pity there is not an identical sign at the Leigh branch junction in Wigan.

This would save boaters a wasted journey.

Not everyone has access to the internet.

Steve

It is a pity there is not an identical sign at the Leigh branch junction in Wigan.

This would save boaters a wasted journey.

Not everyone has access to the internet.

Steve

Surly that is CRT waters not Bridgewater?

edit

Did you mean the stoppage or the 28 days?

Edited by ditchcrawler

edit

It is CRT waters but a sign at the start of the Leigh branch in Wigan would save boaters sailing to Leigh bridge before realising that the Bridgewater Canal is shut.

Steve

It is CRT waters but a sign at the start of the Leigh branch in Wigan would save boaters sailing to Leigh bridge before realising that the Bridgewater Canal is shut.

Steve

CRT have a stoppage notice at the Anderton Services on the T&M about it, but I think its the old June one.

Steve

There isn't even a sign to say the Rochdale 9 are closed

CRT have a stoppage notice at the Anderton Services on the T&M about it, but I think its the old June one.

edit

Here is the 28 day one

post-261-0-14635100-1486844985_thumb.jpg

post-261-0-24206000-1486845065_thumb.jpg

Fair. Thanks for sharing the photo. I think we are planning a mad dash this weekend to get passed it and onto the Leigh Branch.

Daniel

We got passed!

After two full days boating, we snuck under Vicars Hall bridge at around 17:45 on Sunday evening, I expect one of the last leisure boats to go under it before its rebuilt?

16602841_10100751286600178_2797880089080468448_n.jpg

Roll on 'Steam on the Dock' in Liverpool on 6-7th May

Daniel

This morning I have nailed a laminated copy of the Bridgewater Canal closure notice on one of the Poolstock top lock beams.

If it only stops 1 boater having a wasted journey it will be worth it.

Steve

Good work indeed.

I have asked via the IWA 'contact us' page if Peel formed a reply to their open letter on this topic and if not, if there was any plan to esculate the situation.

No obvious answer, either for bridgewater licence holders, or CRT licence holders making use of the reciprocal agreement. However it will be interesting to see if they reply.

Daniel

Lynne at the Wigan office kindly emailed me to remind me of this closure because we have made a Ribble Link booking for early April. As we are on the Rufford Branch anyway it's not a problem but for others of course coming from southern parts it may well be.

Thats good info for them to share.

I have asked via the IWA 'contact us' page if Peel formed a reply to their open letter on this topic and if not, if there was any plan to esculate the situation.

No obvious answer, either for bridgewater licence holders, or CRT licence holders making use of the reciprocal agreement. However it will be interesting to see if they reply.

Daniel

Three days turn around:

Dear Daniel

Thank you for your email, IWA has not yet received a reply to the letter sent to Peel Holdings on 9th January which asked for some windows of opening to canal traffic, to enable boats to pass through in each direction on specific (and advertised) dates during the stoppage period, or alternatively for the stoppage to be postponed until the autumn. However, the timings for the stoppage at Vicars Hall Bridge on the Bridgewater Canal Leigh Branch, which IWA raised concerns about, have been revised further, with the stoppage now scheduled to finish on 24th May, some 3 weeks earlier than previously proposed. Details of IWA's campaigning on the Bridgewater Canal issue can be found here. You may also be interested in signing up to our regular news Bulletin.

Kind regards.

Tracy Higgin

Membership Officer & Office Manager

On 2/18/2017 at 15:11, Cloudinspector said:

I work in Atherton not far from Boothstown so if I get chance I'll pop down periodically and see how things are progressing

It's a mystery! 

Yesterday (Thursday 23/02/17) me, the missus and grandson went to the Moorings pub at Boothstown for a drink etc. This pub is right next to Vicars Hall Bridge where the canal is supposed to be shut.

However, the canal is still in water and seems to be open so does anyone local know what is happening.

Is this the right bridge or is the closure somewhere else?

18 minutes ago, Pie Eater said:

It's a mystery! 

Yesterday (Thursday 23/02/17) me, the missus and grandson went to the Moorings pub at Boothstown for a drink etc. This pub is right next to Vicars Hall Bridge where the canal is supposed to be shut.

However, the canal is still in water and seems to be open so does anyone local know what is happening.

Is this the right bridge or is the closure somewhere else?

From Facebook:

VHB.jpg