Getting rid of building materials on the canal

Featured Posts

Hi all,

I do hope I'm posting in the correct place if not please let me know, anyway I'm currently doing a fitout of my boat and have started to accumulate a lot of old timber to much to burn really also it has paint on it and don't think I should be burning it as I'm unsure of the paint type, I have seen river authority rubbish barges on the grand union and was wondering if they are there to dispose of your rubbish?

Cheers

Markymark

I have seen river authority rubbish barges on the grand union and was wondering if they are there to dispose of your rubbish?

What do you mean by "river authority" ? The EA?

I can't see why a river authority would have these on the GU, which is administered by CRT.

There have been one or two places in the past where BW/CRT hoppers seemed to be used as a dumping ground for boaters rubbish, but I'm not sure it was ever intended. The half sunk rat infested one that used to sit between the two locks at Nash Mills was such an example, but it has long since been removed.

I'm doubtful there is any boat you should be dumping large amounts of old boat materials into, but I'm happy to be corrected if someone knows otherwise.

When we stripped out our main cabin prior to having a new steel undercloth conversion, I was amazed by the sheer volume of old timber, insulation, lining materials etc.that had to be disposed of. This was certainly far too much to be taken to the local tip.

We were at a boatyard who hired for us a large skip. I couldn't think of any other way to dispose of the material.

Many years ago BW provided a rubbish barge for boaters on our mooring to clear up the accumulated detritus. We tried again a few years ago, but understandably, no luck.

We now just use the local tip.

When we stripped out our main cabin prior to having a new steel undercloth conversion, I was amazed by the sheer volume of old timber, insulation, lining materials etc.that had to be disposed of. This was certainly far too much to be taken to the local tip.

little and often ? cool.png

I know on the Trent and Mersey in Cheshire, the canal runs along side a council waste transfer site, so I wonder if there is a similar one close to the navigation where you are.

I think the best bet, is to find a landowner, marina or somewhere with road access for a skip or one of these 1 tonne bags. If you have a car, as said, a little and often, depending on the size of your vehicle, you can buy a couple of these large tarp type bags, to help keep your car clean.

Or... you could hire a van for a day. or even a man with a van, but then it becomes commercial waste and you have to pay for disposal. Unless the man with a van is a fly tipper, who should be reported, but then it could still get up and bite you. Either way, it might cost you £100 or so, to dispose of it, depending how much you have.

Another option, is if you are a rate payer, or know someone who is, ask the council to do a collect, not sure they will take loose rubbish though.

Just some ideas, that might give inspiration.

Richard

I think the op maybe thinking of those crt tug things they load with rubbish or materials for doing work?

I wonder how much you would be permitted to be allowed to put in some of the rubbish skips at the various points on the network, say if you chopped it all up and didn't take the Michael?

If hiring a 'man with a van' or anyone else for that matter to dispose of rubbish for you it is essential that you ask to see their certification. They won't mind, they should be proud of it.

Alternatively you can check them out for yourself here: https://environment.data.gov.uk/public-register/view/search-waste-carriers-brokers

If your refuse collector gets caught fly-tipping your stuff and you haven't checked him out you are equally liable for prosecution.

If hiring a 'man with a van' or anyone else for that matter to dispose of rubbish for you it is essential that you ask to see their certification. They won't mind, they should be proud of it.

Alternatively you can check them out for yourself here: https://environment.data.gov.uk/public-register/view/search-waste-carriers-brokers

If your refuse collector gets caught fly-tipping your stuff and you haven't checked him out you are equally liable for prosecution.

It's worse than that. YOU get prosecuted in the first place if they can identify the rubbish as yours. "I paid some bloke to take it away", yeah right they say, every fly tipper says that!