DanMax&Belle

Featured Posts

Hi,

Does anyone know of any piece of equipment that can be attached to, or interact with, an already installed pump which will trip and cut out the pump after a set running period, a certain temperature etc? I want to guard against the pump dry running endlessly once the tank has emptied and the pump wet running and filling the boat in the event of a leak.

I'm aware of some plumbing fittings which cut out after a certain volume but they don't really fit the bill as they constantly need to be manually reset.

Thanks in advance.

Dan

Edited by DanMax&Belle

If you are worried about a leak happening whilst you are away from the boat, then just turn the water pump off at the fuse board as you leave the boat.

Leaving it in the hands of friends and relatives for short periods every so often. Looking to make it friends and relative proof.

Why not switch the pump off when not in use?

Leaving it in the hands of friends and relatives for short periods every so often. Looking to make it friends and relative proof.

Float switch.

in the main tank? its a big (600L 75cm deep) tank. The switch I'm imagining would be on the end of a long arm with a large range and would have to be submersible - or am i imagining the wrong type of float switch?

You could fit a switch like those used in apartment communal areas that switches, say, the hall lights on but switches off after a delay.

Or one of these http://uk.farnell.com/finder/86-30-0-024-0000/timer-multifunction/dp/1329733?mckv=kmyXOTEc_dc|pcrid|78108381549|&gross_price=true&CATCI=pla-131290224789&CAAGID=15002612229&CMP=KNC-GUK-GEN-SHOPPING-FINDER&CAGPSPN=pla&gclid=CjwKEAiA17LDBRDElqOGq8vR7m8SJAA1AC0_kv4QK21hok3mx1p8C7rBDy0o2FnNiETnZwVbsKqrRxoCYpHw_wcB&DM_PersistentCookieCreated=true&CAWELAID=120173390000254657

You could trigger this with a push button near the sink and another near the shower. It's rated for DC and AC 12 or 24V but you would need a relay to handle the pump current

Edited by mross

The PAR Pump Hire Fleet version used that Relay,set to 10 minutes running time it saved many Pumps from being wrecked

Resets once Switch is turned off then on again

Shame about the price

CT

The PAR Pump Hire Fleet version used that Relay,set to 10 minutes running time it saved many Pumps from being wrecked

Resets once Switch is turned off then on again

Shame about the price

CT

thanks Cereal, whats the brand name "The PAR Pump Hire Fleet" and derivatives don't turn up anything on google

A float switch such as the ones that are used as bilge pumps in engine bays should do the job, but fitting in might be a bit of a faff.

Nice one, makes sense. The only issue is the feed pipe hangs a few cm off the bottom of the tank to avoid sucking up the sediment. I suppose i could mount a float switch a few cm up the wall but now we're talking about underwater glue and other engineering complications. Equally this wouldn't guard against a leak situation with a potentially full tank emptying out into the cabin. Thanks

thanks mross,

I think this relay would just pause the pump wouldn't it?

dry pump and leak situations: relay trips out after running for the set time, but because the pump switch is still open it resents and gives another set time etc...

I gave you the link in post 10 !!!!!

right you are

thanks mross,

I think this relay would just pause the pump wouldn't it?

dry pump and leak situations: relay trips out after running for the set time, but because the pump switch is still open it resents and gives another set time etc...

right you are

The time delay can be set to provide a ten-minute 'on' pulse and the relay will operate for 10 minutes. The switch should me a momentary type or even a push button.

Edited by mross

When I let friends stay on mine (to dog sit usually) they get simple instructions and I always fill the tank so need for them to go near that.

I turn a tap on and make them listen to the pump noise in bedroom after the accumulator has emptied. I tell them. IF you hear that noise and you are not using a tap, the dishwasher or washing machine then its highly probable there is a leak. Turn this switch off and call me so I can send one of my awesome boaty neighbours round to help fix. Sure it doesn't cover the times they are not onboard, however that is what insurance is for and you can over complicate things. Having had a water pump slowly leak during use and cause significant damage I put the new one in a slightly elevated tray and then also drilled further holes and used mastic to try and guide any leaks into the bilge rather than along the floor into the bulkhead walls.

My master feed in is at floor level so is gravity fed and if that valve leaks then its a 1000l of fresh water into the boat. It is what I pay insurance for.

When I let friends stay on mine (to dog sit usually) they get simple instructions and I always fill the tank so need for them to go near that.

I turn a tap on and make them listen to the pump noise in bedroom after the accumulator has emptied. I tell them. IF you hear that noise and you are not using a tap, the dishwasher or washing machine then its highly probable there is a leak. Turn this switch off and call me so I can send one of my awesome boaty neighbours round to help fix. Sure it doesn't cover the times they are not onboard, however that is what insurance is for and you can over complicate things. Having had a water pump slowly leak during use and cause significant damage I put the new one in a slightly elevated tray and then also drilled further holes and used mastic to try and guide any leaks into the bilge rather than along the floor into the bulkhead walls.

My master feed in is at floor level so is gravity fed and if that valve leaks then its a 1000l of fresh water into the boat. It is what I pay insurance for.

All really sensible, especially the line "you can over complicate things".

thanks

All really sensible, especially the line "you can over complicate things".

I agree there's not a straight forward solution for this.