Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Sign in to follow this  
Richard T

Loughborough Christmas Antidote Banter 2017

Featured Posts

Just checked my roster and I'm off that weekend so I better book a hotel room me thinks, maybe two nights are in order

• Greenie 3

To bring the information into one place:

Confirmed attendees:

P6Rob

Dyad

Richard T & co

Ray T

Me 'n Him (Cheshire~rose & Postcode)

Tree Monkey & BSP

Moominpapa +1

Matty40s & KathleenBridget

Possibles:

Alan Fincher & Catrin

Superunknown

Dave and I are booked into the Travelodge for two nights meaning we will be seeing in the New Year in Luff and we have booked a table at The Basin restaurant to dine on New Years Eve following on from a particularly lovely meal we shared with other banter friends there last New Year.

If anyone else is planning to stay over a second night and would like to join us please let me know.

Its looking to be a good one, anyone else up for a good night with good people good beer?

Oh and a super secret sexy pheromone wipes that the pub will supply ;)

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, cheshire~rose said:

Possibles:

Alan Fincher & Catrin

We are booked in at the Travelodge, (though given how our lives have been recently have opted for trhe more expensive bookings we can cancel!....)

We are there for two nights, so please include us in any booking numbers for the Basin.

6 minutes ago, alan_fincher said:

We are booked in at the Travelodge, (though given how our lives have been recently have opted for trhe more expensive bookings we can cancel!....)

We are there for two nights, so please include us in any booking numbers for the Basin.

I sincerely hope you do not need to cancel but I can see it is probably worth it for the peace of mind

It is starting to stack up to be another great banter (it always is at Luff!) 

Please go steady with the wasabi next time Alan 

1 hour ago, rusty69 said:

When you lot meet up,do you play "guess my forum name",or is it just the usual drinking games?

It has been known for some banterers to wear a badge bearing the name of a different forum member to who they really are just to gauge the reaction (hasn't it Matty?) 

It has also been known for some banterers to come away from a banter with a desire to change their forum ID 

You seem to assume drink is involved........ I have no idea what gives you that idea but please feel free to come along and find out for yourself 

Happy to say that after sorting out other bits and pieces and possible clashes we can come this year. I have just booked into the travellodge for the 30th.

We won't be staying to see in the new year with you, but are looking forward to seeing everyone.

We must have more banters!

Sue

• Greenie 2

It's going to be good to see you again Sue (& Richard)

The number of banters seems to have dwindled little by little and for those of us who don't easily access a stretch of canal where forumites are passing through regularly there are not too many opportunites to catch up with all the friendly folks we know. If we do get to an event then there are so many people and so little time!

I have often wondered whether people would come if a banter was arranged on The Chessie. We have a perfect venue in terms of space (for people and boats) and inexpensive drinks including real ale. A place folks can park camper vans or pitch tents but no B&B accomodation on the doorstep.

Would anyone be interested?

43 minutes ago, cheshire~rose said:

It's going to be good to see you again Sue (& Richard)

The number of banters seems to have dwindled little by little and for those of us who don't easily access a stretch of canal where forumites are passing through regularly there are not too many opportunites to catch up with all the friendly folks we know. If we do get to an event then there are so many people and so little time!

I have often wondered whether people would come if a banter was arranged on The Chessie. We have a perfect venue in terms of space (for people and boats) and inexpensive drinks including real ale. A place folks can park camper vans or pitch tents but no B&B accomodation on the doorstep.

Would anyone be interested?

Personally, having the nearby and very cheap Travelodge is a bit of deal-breaker for us. And probably for a lot of people who don't already live on the doorstep. That's the thing that makes Loughborough work - the hotel is right on the canal basin and there are a choice of pubs (and eateries for breakfast the next day or late night munchies :D )  within easy walking distance. So even those of us who don't already have their boat in the area can get there in reasonable time as it's fairly central. 

But I do agree that it's a shame that the number of banters has dwindled over time and that it would be nice if there were more.

How about a banter somewhere/when in central England where the canal system is close to a low cost hotel and a choice of pubs - like Stratford or Rugby or Leamington maybe?

A proper banter organised around the Alvecote Historic Boat Rally on the August bank holiday weekend might be a suggestion too. Already several of us attend the daytime event and get togethers later feel a bit ad hoc rather than an organised banter as such.  Tamworth has a Travelodge (although not as conveniently located but at least people could share a cab to it). It would be nice if the pub there or another one in the area as it can get busy, could accommodate us for a banter on one of the evenings of the bank holiday. People could drive to the evening do and stay over even if they'd not been to the rally. Just thinking out loud... maybe there's too much going on that weekend already. 

Edited by BlueStringPudding

Yes indeed, it is the proximity of the Travelodge which makes Luff perfect and, I believe why it has been such a success over the years.

Gnosall always used to be a success too and there was no accomodation close by there - what is The Navi like these days? I have not been back since it changed hands.

It was the fact that there was no (inexpensive) B&B accomodation right on the doorstep to my suggested venue that meant I did not mention it. There is a delightful place with rooms just a very short walk (.4 of a mile!) : The Blacksmiths but don't go expecting the prices to be anything like The Travelodge though.

There is also a canal side pub that has rooms 1.9 miles (by road) I suspect more like just over a mile by towpath. It appears their prices are around £50 a night, which is still not Travelodge value. The Boat Inn

There is also a traditional pub which serves good food within walking distance if folks wanted to book a massive table and dine together or I suspect, with a bit of organisation we could get a buffet laid on or order a mass take away to be delivered.

Accomodation by the bucketful is available in Retford which is only 6 miles away compared to the 4.3 miles that the Travelodge is from The Samuel Barlow. I have stayed at the M42 Services in Tamworth a good number of times and it's great but it's proximity to Alvecote does mean there needs to be a designated driver or else pay for a taxi (and it is rarely that other people wnt to leave the same time in my experience so sharing is not an easy option)

I would like think that there may be an odd local boater that might offer up a spare bunk and then again.... if someone would persuade Richard & Sue that Tawny Owl would like to head north for a little vacation.... ;)

40 minutes ago, BlueStringPudding said:

A proper banter organised around the Alvecote Historic Boat Rally on the August bank holiday weekend might be a suggestion too. Already several of us attend the daytime event and get togethers later feel a bit ad hoc rather than an organised banter as such.  Tamworth has a Travelodge (although not as conveniently located but at least people could share a cab to it). It would be nice if the pub there or another one in the area as it can get busy, could accommodate us for a banter on one of the evenings of the bank holiday. People could drive to the evening do and stay over even if they'd not been to the rally. Just thinking out loud... maybe there's too much going on that weekend already. 

That would not be ideal for us at all. It is an incredibly busy weekend on both a personal basis and from the point of view of the pub. It would be impossible to find an area where we could all sit together and chat that weekend and, again from a personal point of view, I would find it impossible to separate forum friends from historic boaty friends from just plain boaty friends. I do this the venue is perfect for a party as has been demosntrated when friends have had parties there but I really think the August Bank Holiday should be avoided

52 minutes ago, BlueStringPudding said:

A proper banter organised around the Alvecote Historic Boat Rally on the August bank holiday weekend might be a suggestion too. Already several of us attend the daytime event and get togethers later feel a bit ad hoc rather than an organised banter as such.

Same with Braunston. I know a lot of forum members attend, but the only ones I meet are those I already know!

• Greenie 1

Is there anyone who is planning to stay at the banter for new year who's heading south afterwards and  could give a coupe of Moomins a lift back to Crick Marina on new year's day? The family negotiations on holiday arrangements have started, and the offspring what to borrow the car.....

MP.

I am wondering if there is going to be anybody attending this banter who might be able to take a small bag of highly desirable and exclusive items to make their way to Dave_P at Hockley Port? They are items he won in the Auntue Wainright 12 Days of Christmas auction. None of them are breakable!

If not then I will post them. He is on no huge rush but as one of the items was something he won last December and, as he had not had it delivered he donated it back and had to bid for it all over again I think he deserves to get them sooner rather than later.

I will also be hoping that Mrs Tawny Owl can take the plate that Little Else won for her at the auction

2 minutes ago, cheshire~rose said:

I am wondering if there is going to be anybody attending this banter who might be able to take a small bag of highly desirable and exclusive items to make their way to Dave_P at Hockley Port? They are items he won in the Auntue Wainright 12 Days of Christmas auction. None of them are breakable!

If not then I will post them. He is on no huge rush but as one of the items was something he won last December and, as he had not had it delivered he donated it back and had to bid for it all over again I think he deserves to get them sooner rather than later.

I will also be hoping that Mrs Tawny Owl can take the plate that Little Else won for her at the auction

I can take them. I'll still be moored in Cambrian Wharf then, so not far away.

I am just going to give this thread a bump, Christmas is over and if any of you are in that phase where you are unsure what day it is and trying to decide whether it is appropriate to have a selection box and Bailey's for breakfast today you may not yet have any plans for Saturday 30th. 

It would be great to see some new faces - we are all a friendly bunch and most of us don't bite much. It is not some sort of elite clique, going to your first banter can be a bit intimidating but it need not be and the fact that so many of who went to our first banter at different times still feel the joy at getting back together with fellow banterers after many years will tell you that we have no regrets of making that first banter. 

Basically there will be a group of us rocking up in Loughborough at some point on Saturday, Most of of have booked into The Travelodge which is within walking distance of the beer that night. Some of us girls will do the tour of the charity shops and maybe partake in coffee during the day. In the evening we will congregate at The Paget Arms at a time that suits us, some will eat there some won't but we will have a chat and put the world to rights. I can probably guess there will be talk of toilets at some point in the evening but we are just as likely to talk about cars, dogs, holidays or the price of fish. 

A handful of us are staying an extra night at The Travelodge so we can have a New Year's eve meal together at The Basin. I have a block booking but I need to call them and confirm the numbers very soon so, if you want to join us for NYE please let me know ASAP 

I have some pictures from old banters somewhere, I might try and post some later but perhaps fellow banterers have some they can share?

21 minutes ago, cheshire~rose said:

I am just going to give this thread a bump, Christmas is over and if any of you are in that phase where you are unsure what day it is and trying to decide whether it is appropriate to have a selection box and Bailey's for breakfast today you may not yet have any plans for Saturday 30th. 

It would be great to see some new faces - we are all a friendly bunch and most of us don't bite much. It is not some sort of elite clique, going to your first banter can be a bit intimidating but it need not be and the fact that so many of who went to our first banter at different times still feel the joy at getting back together with fellow banterers after many years will tell you that we have no regrets of making that first banter. 

Basically there will be a group of us rocking up in Loughborough at some point on Saturday, Most of of have booked into The Travelodge which is within walking distance of the beer that night. Some of us girls will do the tour of the charity shops and maybe partake in coffee during the day. In the evening we will congregate at The Paget Arms at a time that suits us, some will eat there some won't but we will have a chat and put the world to rights. I can probably guess there will be talk of toilets at some point in the evening but we are just as likely to talk about cars, dogs, holidays or the price of fish. 

A handful of us are staying an extra night at The Travelodge so we can have a New Year's eve meal together at The Basin. I have a block booking but I need to call them and confirm the numbers very soon so, if you want to join us for NYE please let me know ASAP 

I have some pictures from old banters somewhere, I might try and post some later but perhaps fellow banterers have some they can share?

Can't remember what our status is in your list, CR, but for the avoidance of doubt, the Moomins are NOT staying over for new years. We'll be  arriving sometime on Saturday and leaving on Sunday morning.

Looking forward to it!

Cheers,

MP.

On 12/5/2017 at 20:41, MoominPapa said:

Is there anyone who is planning to stay at the banter for new year who's heading south afterwards and  could give a coupe of Moomins a lift back to Crick Marina on new year's day? The family negotiations on holiday arrangements have started, and the offspring what to borrow the car.....

58 minutes ago, MoominPapa said:

Can't remember what our status is in your list, CR, but for the avoidance of doubt, the Moomins are NOT staying over for new years. We'll be  arriving sometime on Saturday and leaving on Sunday morning.

Looking forward to it!

Ah - that looks like a change of plan, then?

We are only just starting to sort ourselves out too, and were not until now certain how long we would be up there.

I was about to say we could have possibly have provided transport back to Crick on New Year's day, but it sounds as if this would now be of no use to you, as we will now be there for both nights.

1 hour ago, alan_fincher said:

Ah - that looks like a change of plan, then?

We are only just starting to sort ourselves out too, and were not until now certain how long we would be up there.

I was about to say we could have possibly have provided transport back to Crick on New Year's day, but it sounds as if this would now be of no use to you, as we will now be there for both nights.

Thanks for the offer, but the complications of family arrangements and car sharing mean that we really do have to get back to Crick on NYE. 

Cheers,

MP.