Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Sign in to follow this  
Richard T

Loughborough Christmas Antidote Banter 2017

Featured Posts

Lets get the date in early for the banter. Friday 29th or Saturday 30th December. Venue The Paget Arms Paget Street Loughborough.

Oh yes, yes, yes, yes....

Can I just throw a spanner in the works though -

A handful of us stayed in Loughborough to see in the new year after the banter. For some time we knew that Barry. Lemontoes, Catrin, Alan Fincher, Postcode and myself would be there and we booked a table at "The Basin" and had a thoroughly enjoyable meal last night.

The thing was that when the time came we realised that Kathleen Bridget. Matty40s and Chazzy & co would also be there and had not seen my post on the banter thread asking is anyone else wanted to join us. By the time we called the basin they were fully booked. The additional 4 people managed to get food elsewhere but we all wished we had been able to eat together. We all ended up together in The Swan in The Rushes which was quiet and we saw in the new year in their back room just our group all having a lovely chat. I think we all thought how much we would like to do it again next year.

I know The Paget was booked for a private party for NYE this year but I wonder, if we were to approach them NOW would we be able to book it for next year? If so what are the cost implications. Those of us who wanted to could eat at The Basin earlier then come on to The Paget for the rest of the evening. Or, we could do the two day thing again if the banter was on the Saturday 30th. Bearing in mind 1st January will be a bank holiday.

Its time to start thinking about the banter again. Are we all OK for Saturday 30th December? If so I'll go and talk to the landlord of the Paget.

• Greenie 1

40 minutes ago, Richard T said:

Its time to start thinking about the banter again. Are we all OK for Saturday 30th December? If so I'll go and talk to the landlord of the Paget.

Yep, thank you.

• Greenie 1

Yes, Dave and I are up for it.

I would not be overly concerned about the fact that not too many people have replied, traditionally people start to drift into thinking about this towards late November. I suspect as it is not NYE and the Paget relies on students who will all have gone home we should be ok to take over a corner of the place even if there are only a handful of folks. 

It would be great if a few new faces could come and introduce themselves 

The Moomins are overwintering a Crick this year, so we'd love to attend. I doubt we'll make it by boat, but the Ford Focus of Doom will suffice.

Cheers,

MP.

• Greenie 1

13 minutes ago, cheshire~rose said:

Excellent!

:cheers:

Is there anywhere local such as premier inn/ lodge jobby?

3 minutes ago, cheshire~rose said:

Travelodge is walking distance 

Ahh  must talk with the boss.

11 minutes ago, MoominPapa said:

The Moomins are overwintering a Crick this year, so we'd love to attend. I doubt we'll make it by boat, but the Ford Focus of Doom will suffice.

Cheers,

MP.

As will the miniscule micra

Well Kathy has just informed me that we are going. :lol: saw the thread and handed it to her, so yes, we will be there.....if CRT can keep the canals open long enough for us to get close. 

Leicester Line shut, other way round shutting soon, and bagnall lock being held together with 2 pieces of 2 bi 4 and a couple of bolts. 

Am aiming to sink a red Plastic Pos if he gets in the way over the weekend....

We may well have to use the mondeo with its secret smoke cloud machine, egr valve needs a good clean.

Edited by matty40s
  • Greenie 1

I picked Kathy up from work at Bishops Meadow bridge and we arrived at the Loughborough moorings at dusk last night.

Couldn't see anyone else around, is it too early for a pre-banter drink....

• Haha 1

Do we actually have a confirmation from Richard that the Paget is OK for Satirday 30th December?  I can only see that he says he will be checking with them.

Are people planning to stay just the Saturday night, or on a day either side of it as well, as many have in the past?

Richard is going to confirm with The Paget but, from memory of past years this is a pub that usually caters to a predominantly student clientele in a predominantly student residential area. Consequently most of their regulars are elsewhere in the country at that time of year and while they probably have a "do" for NYE I suspect they will be pleased to have us on the Saturday - but maybe I assume too much! 

Dave and I have booked Saturday 30th and Sunday 31st at The Travelodge 

As soon as my feet touch the ground I plan to call that lovely restaurant we went to last New Year and book a table

I may book a table for a few in the hope that a selection of folks will fancy staying on and seeing in the new year together. I can always cancel a few seats closer to the date 

8 hours ago, matty40s said:

I picked Kathy up from work at Bishops Meadow bridge and we arrived at the Loughborough moorings at dusk last night.

Couldn't see anyone else around, is it too early for a pre-banter drink....

It is NEVER too early for a pre-banter drink. 

I guess Kathy is going to beat me to the charity shop bargains then ...sigh 

I've missed canal events this year. So, really looking forward to the Loughborough Banter. Can only do the one night though unfortunately.

Rob

I might be volunteering in Scotland that weekend - just waiting to hear back from the roster clerk.

If it turns out I'm not required up north, I hope to be at the banter.

Particularly if the route from Willington to Loughborough is open and not in flood.....