Eberspacher / Webasto / MV recommendation?

andyberg

Featured Posts

Webasto all the way for reliability and ease of service when required, and make sure you actually need a 5.2kw unit, that is to say you need at least 5.5 kw of rads ignoring the calorifier. Most Narrowboats have difficulty getting that much load and a 4.2 kw unit is generally better suited.

Webasto all the way for reliability and ease of service when required, and make sure you actually need a 5.2kw unit, that is to say you need at least 5.5 kw of rads ignoring the calorifier. Most Narrowboats have difficulty getting that much load and a 4.2 kw unit is generally better suited.

Having experience of an Eberspacher D7W & now a Webasto Thermotop C, I can only concur. The only very minor thing the D7W can have over the Thermotop is its ability to be thermostatically controlled with a room thermostat & frankly I don't miss that feature at all, the Thermotop smashes the D7W into the ground at every level.

Thank for that! clapping.gif

I'll be making enquiries.

Make sure you get the genuine marine kit, not only will it tolerate lower voltages but will have all the bits you need. Also if you install to the instructions you will then get the three year on board warranty.

Another vote for the webasto, but get the upgrade programmer and a frost stat that automatically fires up at 5c.

Neil

That is a nice feature to have, what a luxury and perhaps a cost saver for many. I programme my timer based on weather forecasts and I tend to use my Eberspacher longer than necessary as a result.

You have to use 22mm for flow and return then T off in 15mm to rads, I used plastic pipe as its meant to be better on boats, if you buy the marine kit it comes with everything you need including fuel line and filter, I did away with the header tank because I couldn't mount it high enough and did a sealed system with expansion tank.

Neil

That is a nice feature to have, what a luxury and perhaps a cost saver for many. I programme my timer based on weather forecasts and I tend to use my Eberspacher longer than necessary as a result.

Here in Mercia, we're not allowed to run diesel jet boilers between 11 at night and 6 in the morning, so a frost stat is a no-no. Don't know if any other marinas are the same. Comes of having a high liveaboard population, I guess.

Here in Mercia, we're not allowed to run diesel jet boilers between 11 at night and 6 in the morning, so a frost stat is a no-no. Don't know if any other marinas are the same. Comes of having a high liveaboard population, I guess.

Never heard of that stipulation anywhere else.

A properly silenced system should be barely audible.

ETA: The use of solid fuel or wood burning stoves is not allowed in our marina. The justification for this being that the marina is surrounded by shops, bars and housing so they don't want the smoke and smell wafting around.

Edited by Naughty Cal

Another for the Webasto. Mine was inherited when I bought the boat however I trust my marine engineer implicitly and have learnt a lot from him (mine is a 5.2kw that was underpowered on rads as they were only single; 3 years of continuous cruising prior to my ownership from people who were never told not to run it constantly and it needed a new burner - had they spent an extra £50 at the time on better rads this might not have been so much of an issue)

If your budget stretches I personally would put the Thermocall app upgrade in at the same time. It has upper and lower temperature alerts so can tell you if its frosty or if your boat is on fire (or too hot for the dogs as is the case I use it for). It also allows you to turn the system on and off by text. As a liveaboard in a marina without restrictions on running these devices it is indeed exceptionally handy to be able text it to come on from the warmth of my bed if I have forgotten to set the start timer.

Probably a throwback from people installing them without proper silencing, I once had to go and fit a silencer for a guy who was about to not have his berthing contract renewed. Properly installed and silenced your neighbour would not even hear one.

• Greenie 1

Anyone know the water pipe diameter from a Webasco Thermo top as I'll be connecting to 22mm copper plus what size copper is required for the fuel feed?

Pricing / working out exactly what's needed!!

The outlet hoses are 19mm bore, copper fuel tube of 2mm bore is required, but t's all in the kit so you needn't worry about it. Interfacing the rubber hose to 22mm copper is a simple matter of using a 3/4" BSP to 22mm compression bulkhead fitting and a 3/4" BSPF to 19mm hosetail at the junction between the engine room and accomodation.

If you drop me a PM with an mail address I will fire you off a copy of the factory install manual which will answer all your questions and many you have not even thought of yet.

Edited by NMEA
  • Greenie 1

Seen this blower on offer which looks like it would be ideal to fit in my rear cabin...but are they right with the 4.25KW rating? , surely that would heat a full boat on full chat?

https://www.butlertechnik.com/installation-accessories-c63/water-heater-matrices-c116/kuba-4-25kw-water-heat-exchanger-12v-12018041-p1356

Oddly enough I fitted one of those just before Christmas, it was perfectly fine (if a little noisy even on fan speed 1) for hating the wheelhouse of a decent size boat. The rating of matrix can be misleading as the temperatures at which Webasto, Eber et. al. run at is below the rated coolant temperature for tem. It will certainly produce the heat if plumbed into a coach engine cooling system running a 90+ deg but not at the 56 to 72 degree range of evaporator heaters. The things would work much better if they had a buffer header ech end and crossflow but I have yet to fid one that does.

Edited by NMEA

Webasto thermo top c 5.2kw love it, perfect for what we use runs 2 700mm round bar rads in back a 400mm in engine room + hotwater that gets very hot but last quite a while even with water running in shower on a small calorifier + runs threw the water filler bottle.

Only down side is the water pump can be trucky to bleed if air gets in it but my system isnt the best for getting rid of air pockets.

If running a long system i would recommend a second pump in the system mine will try and go threw the nearest 15mm pipe than round all the pipe work.

But i still love it very easy to use just get one with a proper timer the standard pre set on timer is good but it only turns on as soon as you turn it off it switches to manual and not back to your settings unless you tell it to.

If i set my taps right for heating and hot water i can get a near constant heating fron it rather than on off on off. Bigger rads would help me but i cant fit them in it takes the chill off which is what i wanted to achive in cold weather like this. But designed to shut heat off if stove going.

Edited by billybobbooth