Spinflo Caprice Cooker - Ignition not working

Bugsworth Tippler

Featured Posts

Hi

The five year old boat I recently bought has a Spinflo Caprice III cooker. The 'electronic' ignition on the hob works fine but not on the grill or oven. There doesn't appear to be a spark.

I wondered if anyone had any experience of this problem and could give me a clue as to how easy it might be to repair. I'm assuming I might need to replace some parts.

Regards,

Ian

It may be dirt on the insulators. The bit that sparks is normally surrounded by a white, ceramic insulator. You could try cleaning with soapy water and a brush. Then wait a few hours for it to dry. Is there a button to press or is the ignitor started when you hold the knob 'in'?

Manual here

Parts List here

Edited by mross

Have seen this on domestic cookers caused by the thin HT cable either detaching at either end or shorting out when it passes close to a steel edge.

Clean the spark head but not with anything that leaves a residue ie not washing liquid. I use MEK plastic pipe cleaner from screwfix etc

Best to check for short circuits in the dark, I have wrapped damaged/leaking leads in ptfe tape

Spares are best got from catering supply sources, they seem to have individual items, on ebay.

Edited by adrianh

It is possible for any one lead to short out and others to work, the HT generators have separate outputs for each electrode. It is possible for the generator to fail also.

These are available as spares in mains or low voltage inputs at around £50.00.

Just a thought, is yours battery powered, if so have you fitted new batteries?

I've got the same cooker. The igniter for the grill works, but it seems that the flame next to the spark is the other side of the burner to the flame that hits the thermocouple. So when you light the grill, when you take your finger off the theromcouple override it goes out again as the flame doesn't drop across to the other side. This makes it appear that the thermocouple isn't working. The trick is to hold the gas on for a while before firing the spark, so you get a mini explosion that makes sure the other side of the burner lights up.

Thanks again for helpful suggestions and comments. When I get the chance I will investigate further.

In response to questions and comments :

I'm pretty sure the ignition is hard wired to boat batteries - the hob certainly is.

As for the grill - when I light it with a match it frequently goes out unless the knob is held in for a very long time - much longer than I would consider reasonable. I'll try the trick suggested by dor.

another one to look out for (as featured on our SMEV oven), is there an interlock on the door?

With the smev oven you can't light it unless the door is completely open, even 1/4 inch up from open will stop disable the ignition (yes this "feature" caused a lot of swearing when we worked out what was going on.... after spending 30 minutes trying to light it)