Water pressure too high

Jstupot

Featured Posts

Recently had the water pump changed on our narrowboat and the water pressure has been way too high since. How do you change the water pressure please?

What do you mean by too high? What problems are you getting if any? Was your old pump too low and this one just seems high?

Well the main issue is that although the old pumps water flow was too low, and yes we can control the flow by not turning the tap on fully now, the toilet flush is filling up way too much now which is causing the holding tank to fill up to quickly. Is there a way to control the flow of the toilet flush?

Well the main issue is that although the old pumps water flow was too low, and yes we can control the flow by not turning the tap on fully now, the toilet flush is filling up way too much now which is causing the holding tank to fill up to quickly. Is there a way to control the flow of the toilet flush?

Once again make and model of toilet please.

On mine it is just a question of not holding the dump lever up as long (or down as long) but I suspect you have a maccerator or vacuum toilet so we need a make and model to give a sensible answer.

1) buy a thetford porta potti.

2) install an isolating valve in the feed pipe, the sort that is adjusted by a screwdriver, and then adjust it to reduce the flow. http://www.screwfix.com/p/isolating-valve-15mm-2-pack/65251?kpid=65251&cm_mmc=Google-_-Product%20Listing%20Ads-_-Sales%20Tracking-_-sales%20tracking%20url&gclid=CLeQ6Yn8ndECFQmeGwodaVgIsw

Edited by Scholar Gypsy

2) install an isolating valve in the feed pipe, the sort that is adjusted by a screwdriver, and then adjust it to reduce the flow. http://www.screwfix.com/p/isolating-valve-15mm-2-pack/65251?kpid=65251&cm_mmc=Google-_-Product%20Listing%20Ads-_-Sales%20Tracking-_-sales%20tracking%20url&gclid=CLeQ6Yn8ndECFQmeGwodaVgIsw

It's seriously lousy design to install a flushing toilet without a stop valve in the water supply. Even a dump through can have a failed water control valve, in which case the water flow carries merrily on until it's emptied the water tank onto the bathroom floor, into the bilge or wherever.

I would look for an ordinary stop valve, like the one between the water tank and pump, somewhere just upstream of the toilet. Turn it down until you get just enough flush to clear the bowl of solids if assisted by a loo brush, thus maximising the time between toilet tank emptyings.

ETA to add an apostrophe.

Edited by BruceinSanity

Sounds like the water pressure is too high to me.

If the flow rate is say twice the original flow rate, then the pump would reach it's pressure sooner and cut off sooner, the pressure in the pipe would be the same. The flow rate to the toilet would remain the same, caused by the restriction in the toilet, but double the pressure, you might double the flow rate.

So I would be looking at the pressure, some are 15 psi some 30 psi when bought new, or any pressure in between, so time to look at some labels on the new pump, old one if possible too.

You can buy a pressure gauge on a hose with a 1/2" bsp fitting, like a washing machine fitting, again try screwfix...

Three times or more, Screwfix has been mentioned lol... are we on commission lol. Note... Toolstation can be cheaper, and only need £10 minimum spend for free delivery lol.. That evens things out lol.

Richard

It's seriously lousy design to install a flushing toilet without a stop valve in the water supply. Even a dump through can have a failed water control valve, in which case the water flow carries merrily on until it's emptied the water tank onto the bathroom floor, into the bilge or wherever.

I would look for an ordinary stop valve, like the one between the water tank and pump, somewhere just upstream of the toilet. Turn it down until you get just enough flush to clear the bowl of solids if assisted by a loo brush, thus maximising the time between toilet tank emptyings.

ETA to add an apostrophe.

I know someone with a Hudson boat and when they pump the poo tank out they have to switch the water pump off so they can look down the loo to check the tank is empty without a continuous flush taking place.

I had the same problem after fitting a new pump. Using a valve to reduce the flow is ok,although this is dificult to set and malntain a low flow rate using a ball type valve as you are right on the edge of shut off and the sealing face wears by erosion. A better solution is to fit an orifice with say a 2 mm hole in the feed pipe, increasing the the hole size untill you get enough water. A suitable plastic or steel insert adjacent to a pipefitting worked for me.

A higher pressure will use more water as flow through pipework is proportional to the pressure, so reduce it if you can. Once the pump starts running the set pressure is not relevant as it will be delivering water at its design flow rate

Edited by adrianh