Where To Photograph A Derelict Canal?

cheshire~rose

Featured Posts

Cromford at Vickers Lock, chamber just visible!

Ironville

Golden valley leading to southern Butterley portal

Nottingham just south of Langley Mill

Again in water around the Cossall area and m1 crossing

Derby canal at Borrowash locks, Shelton lock,

Uttoxeter canal running east of Froghall in churnet valley

I think that's all I can think of for now!

Dan

Edited by stagedamager

Charnwood Forest Canal - bits still in water at Nanpantan and around Gracedieu. Jan you could walk off tomorrow nights beer checking it out on Saturday.

Melton Mowbray navigation still has some lovely Jessop bridges and remains of some locks

http://gwwvyd.xara.hosting/meltonoakhamww/ again you could visit this on Saturady there is also a decent pub next to part of it.

I agree that the abandoned section of the Ashby is interesting especially at Measham where the warehouses are built of oversize bricks known as Wilkes Gobs https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joseph_Wilkes

• Greenie 1

The northern bits of the Lancaster canal just off the M6 J35 - lock chambers and bridges etc or a little further to J36 and a tunnel mouth and wooded over grown canal bed.

Canalplan.eu might be a good place to look for photos of locations? Many derelict canals are well recorded with most of their physical features documented, and many of those have photos, which, while not always especially artistic, at least give an idea of the setting.

This location on the disused part of the Lancaster Canal for instance, has one of my photos and shows what the locks look like: http://canalplan.eu/gazetteer/v1f6

Bear in mind though that this and many other photos can be several years old.

Edited by Hairy Animal

Another Yorkshire candidate could be the Barnsley Canal. There are still stretches in water but also various infilled areas and even a "buried" bridge! There is a great guide to this with a history on the "Pennine Waterways" site.

http://www.penninewaterways.co.uk/barnsley/index.htm

Edited to provide better link.

Edited by Mr Norman

My first thought was the Buckingham arm from Cosgrove(?) on the GU. Not the area you are looking for though. My old stamping ground but I haven't been there for lots of years and understand some renovation has started so it has probably been titivated. Or built on.

Well this topic has certainly proved to me there are hundreds of places I really ought to go and visit!

I have had a message from the friend who posed the question:

Thanks everyone - Some really good suggestions. We've settled on the Grantham near The Cropwells and the Cromford . We will go next week I think

Thank you from me too, you have all proved again that this is the place to pose a question

Thank you from me too, you have all proved again that this is the place to pose a question

Hey, we're not all posers!

I hope that the photographer will send us a few pictures of the expedition to look at.

Full of headcold and nausea, but having only skimmed the thread, Runcorn? Or bits of the Uttoxeter?

Daniel

Headcold.....HEADCOLD......ohmy.png Do not understimate your sickness or the females of the population will never understand what we blokes have to go through!!

Its Man flu old chap. Man Flu!!

East Midlands & Yorkshire

There is the Canal to Louth, where there are locks near Louth,

Horncastle

Barnsley

Dearne & Dove (although much filled in now)

Then there are the disused parts of the Aire & Calder, Calder & Hebble and Dun where old bits of navigation cuts have been abandoned.

Perhaps the most obscure is to stand on the platform of Rotherham Central Station as this was the course of the canal from Jordan's flood lock to the Rotherham Cut before the Manchester, Sheffield & Lincolnshire Railway diverted the navigation into and out of the Don

In the West Midlands the Bradley Locks are currently in the news for restoration

There are significant features of the Bradford Canal surviving, though sadly now no locks. Near Birkenshaw are the remains of Emmetts Canal; less than one mile in length it was used to carry coal from a colliery to an ironworks. The photo below dates from 1987, so there may be less to see today. You could also try tracing the various abandoned sections of the Calder & Hebble and Aire & Calder, both having some remains still visible.

gallery_6938_1_69703.jpg

The Griff Arm is off the Coventry- although there were no locks- just a link to the collieries there, as was the Newdigate Arm, However with the Newdigate Arm, there were disused blast furnaces beside that one! the Locks at Ironville are on the Cromford, but the Cromford does have some interesting areas of dereliction including the main line and the Pinxton Branch. With regard to the Dearne & Dove, there are the locks by Waddingtons Boat yard which are worth a visit. Is anything left of the Greasborough Branch near Rotherham? This was a private waterway, like the original Holmes Branch (although don't think anything can be seen of this one). .