Where To Photograph A Derelict Canal?

cheshire~rose

Featured Posts

Can the combined wisdom of this community give any suggestions please?

A friend's daughter is doing a degree in photography and, as part of her studies has suggested she would like to do a photo shoot at a location where there is an abandoned canal.

Ideally this place would be somewhere in the East Midlands or Yorkshire. A place where nature has taken over but the canal infrastructure is still visible, maybe lock chambers, bridges or other canal architecture that nature and the elements have softened the edges of.

I can think of a number of stunning locations much further afield but I am sure some of you will have some suggestions of an old arm or something that could be worth a visit.

All suggestions gratefully received thanks

Not the right area but Combe Hay Locks on the Somerset Coal Canal take some beating, and we can offer guided access to that and other places along the canal (not an unlimited offer to all comers I'm afraid, but we can do it by arrangement)

Edited to add - how about the Cromford at Ironville?

Edited by magpie patrick

Not the right area but Combe Hay Locks on the Somerset Coal Canal take some beating, and we can offer guided access to that and other places along the canal (not an unlimited offer to all comers I'm afraid, but we can do it by arrangement)

Edited to add - how about the Cromford at Ironville?

You know I immediately thought of Somerset when I was asked because I know the pictures I have seen of what you have down there are amazing. I suspect "Dad" might be hoping for somewhere MUCH easier to get to as he is most likely to be taxi driver for the trip but then again, start offering guided access and they could make it a family weekend out!

I was thinking there might be something on The Cromford but I don't know it very well

Ironville Locks are like derelict canals used to be - derelict but recognisable. They haven't been restored and they haven't been elemintated, About half a dozen locks and a couple of bridges.

Offer remains open for Somerset though!

Thanks Patrick

Parts of the Nottingham canal would be ideal?

Which parts had you in mind? We took a look at part of it and I have seen many photos of the route online but there is nothing that really stood out to me as being that photogenic

Derby canal?

Did you have any part in mind?

The northern bits of the Lancaster canal just off the M6 J35 - lock chambers and bridges etc or a little further to J36 and a tunnel mouth and wooded over grown canal bed.

Thank you

Thanks Patrick

Which parts had you in mind? We took a look at part of it and I have seen many photos of the route online but there is nothing that really stood out to me as being that photogenic

Did you have any part in mind?

There are some fab bits dewatered in the erewash valley although probably not as pretty come to think of it as some others. Very interesting though.

What's wrong with the derelict section of the Chesterfield canal. The Norwood flight a good subject I would say ?

Yes it could be used but with the area has been manicured to within an inch of it's life and looks little more than a series of weirs. The bit further up towards the tunnel portal is nice but little in the way of infrastructure to see.

Many of the areas where the canal used to go were through mining land which has been "tidied up" and doesn't have the derelict feel I think the lass is after

The Brindley Loops could be a good one though

Edited by cheshire~rose

Is The Griff Arm, Nuneaton too far away?

post-7043-0-76242600-1483027153_thumb.jpg

See also here:

http://www.canalworld.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=88910&hl=%2Bgriff+%2Barm

Or the Moira cut between Snareston and Moira?

Ashby%20Canal%20Trust%20_%20Keeping%20th

From here: http://www.ashbycanaltrust.co.uk/

There is still much of the old route of The Oxford Canal around Braunston

post-7043-0-21920600-1483028891_thumb.jpg

post-7043-0-87840800-1483028914_thumb.jpg

post-7043-0-21344700-1483029092_thumb.jpg

Edited by Ray T

The Montgomery Canal may be a bit far,but has many as yet unrestored sections. The basin in Newtown is a classic case of waste of an asset. Only a section of parapet wall of the bridge over the entrance to the basin still showing..The first bridge has a footpath under it,(Bridge157),the next lock is filled in and impossible to identify(Rock Lock)but the lock keepers cabin still exists under the vegetation,the next lock(Dolfor Lock)is a classic abandoned lock complete with overgrown vegetation. The waterwheel pit by the pumphouse in Newtown is still extant(but permission required for access.Aberbechain,interesting aqueduct and fixed bridge etc.etc

Thanks everyone,

loads of ideas here. That is just what was needed. The family who asked for the info are reading this thread and will no doubt come back and ask if they need more information

But do the family know we are all barmy on this forum?

My first thought was the unrestored section of the Ashby - but no locks, of course. I then thought of the Griff Arm (more Mid-Midlands than East) which has been the subject of a recent illustrated thread on here - your photo student could look at the pics and see if it looked suitable.

But our pied friend's suggestion is perhaps the best. I walked the Cromford from Langley Mill right up to Butterley Tunnel a few years ago and it has everything (except boats): sections in water, sections with no water but where the contour of the canal is easily visible, locks, a tunnel and a junction (at Codnor, leading to the Pinxton branch). Perhaps the Cromford Canal restoration group's web site has details and pictures, I haven't checked.

It's in the E. Mids too!

Edited by Athy

Here's a nice Yorkshire one, if you follow the line of the canal past Salterhebble and walk on foot through the woods beside Hebble Brook you can clearly see old lock chambers and bridges etc in the middle of the woodland.

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@53.6990826,-1.8576371,489a,20y,43.05h,45t/data=!3m1!1e3

It wont help but the few i can think of is the incline plane at ironbridge museum

Compleatly the wrong way but amazing is the small boat inclines down cornwall way if you go there there a walk from the rest of the canal that is still there but can still see the entrences to the inclines.

Another idea would be some of the canals around that are in the middle of being reopened the reason i say this is there over grown but still fairly visable with some still having locks or bridges.

I know my input isnt very helpfull but you never know you may go on holiday near one.

Happy Christmas everyone!

This is an interesting one.

When I was last at Swinton, looking at the remains of the first flight on the Dearne & Dove (last used 1977), I was filled with a completely misplaced nostalgia for the days when derelict canals really looked like derelict canals! Worth a look, and still in water. Lock gates, indeed! The Barnsley Canal summit is also interesting at the Walton end - lock chambers, cuttings, narrowed section etc.

The Newport branch (Salop) in and around Newport is interesting, although a bit manicured. Over 40 years since this was taken over from BWB.

Ashton Canal Hollinwood branch, locks and summit, although this was "beautified" a long time back. Some parts of the Sankey - all sorts of different treatments, including the weird towpath fencing at Sankey Bridges.

Hatherton branch, Staffs & Worcs, is an old favourite, although this has been maintained for water supply.

Oddly, not that many examples of derelict canals that still look like canals...either destroyed or restored in most cases.

Towards a happy new year!

Joseph