what do you use..........

mac1

Featured Posts

I blog whenever we're doing a long trip, so friends and relations know where we are and can meet up.

I normally include distances and rough timings, so if I go back in the future I know how long distances took last time, where we stopped, etc. which is useful when journey planning.

It's got to the point now that on certain bits of waterway I can predict our arrival time at a destination within 10 minutes, which is quite good.

Edit: when skippering the trip boat, I try and get the timings accurate to a minute or so. Arriving after a five hour trip, five seconds after I said I'd be there, was fun.

So one day you are holding everyone up as you are running early and the next youer spilling all the CCs tea because you got held up in a lock hug.gif

Why does anyone need to track their mileage?

Ooh let's think for about a nano-second here! Maybe I'm still working, and have to grab what time I have available from work to cruise for a few days or a week or two. Or perhaps I have a medical condition and need to get back for an appointment. Could be there's a family event that I would like to attend. Any of these could limit the time available to me to get to where I need to be. We're not all fancy-free.

So one day you are holding everyone up as you are running early and the next youer spilling all the CCs tea because you got held up in a lock hug.gif

Luckily the river is wide enough to allow overtaking in most places ;)

It is quite fun, as a matter of professional pride, to get the timings as near as possible, even if the sailing time is a little altered by the coach driver dropping the passengers off late, etc.

Besides, I worked out the other day I've been to Baits Bite lock just over 2000 times (not a typo!) so fiddling with the throttle to drop 100rpm and go fractionally slower is something to do on the way....

They can be useful if, for example, you wish to arrive at an event, such as a boat rally or a festival, before it starts rather than when it's about to end. Some of our trips have such "deadlines", others do not.

Hang on, what's the rush??!!! The canals are supposed to be all about relaxing and taking it easy, so I've been told by some on here. Who cares if you miss the festival?!

What a load of trite and patronising twaddle I'm regurgitating... ;)

Hang on, what's the rush??!!! The canals are supposed to be all about relaxing and taking it easy, so I've been told by some on here. Who cares if you miss the festival?!

What a load of trite and patronising twaddle I'm regurgitating... ;)

Nothing to do with Yellow Tail or Wadsworths, of course...

:cheers:

I use canal plan after the event: it's accurate enough for the purpose of satisfying my curiosity

The coat faerie would like a word Mr Athy!

Yes, it was corny, and I expected to be chaffed about it, sorry.

Edited by Athy