Canopus and Sculptor

Featured Posts

I am aware that it was/is in Braunston for engine, fabrication and fitting work.  I was curious to know if the prop and rudder had been changed to the new designs and whether any "sea trials" had been done.  From the sounds of it, they may not be at that stage yet.

• 2 months later...
2 minutes ago, alan_fincher said:

I see Canopus still at the same place.

Any further developments in this saga at all?

Well the owner bought the Samofa 2S-108 on sale by Tony Redshaw as I understand it, and had it installed in Canopus. But from memory this was before xmas. The boat seems to be always there so I surmise there is either more work being done, of that is its permanent mooring. 

1 minute ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Well the owner bought the Samofa 2S-108 on sale by Tony Redshaw as I understand it, and had it installed in Canopus. But from memory this was before xmas. The boat seems to be always there so I surmise there is either more work being done, of that is its permanent mooring. 

There was mention of Roger Farrington's involvement, and possible illness?

Unusually there are no boats on Roger's dock at the present time.

20 minutes ago, alan_fincher said:

There was mention of Roger Farrington's involvement, and possible illness?

Unusually there are no boats on Roger's dock at the present time.

I too heard last weekend he had been really ill, but had just returned to work. Someone at Braunston told me this. 

• 11 months later...

Not a chimney, rather a tall pipe to sit on the cabin top from the exhaust, usually used on deeper canals with higher bridges, or when loaded in bygone days. Looks to me like the work of Dave Parrot, A’s is the titch pipe behind.

2 minutes ago, dave moore said:

"Looks to me like the work of Dave Parrot"

I wish I could tell you, sadly I haven't a clue - amazing that you'd know and I don't doubt you for a moment!

For us that's the breakfast pipe - for listening to the engine warming up over morning coffee - "titch" has a pleasing terrier yap once underway ?(The other two pipes that were on board have gone to live with Sarah - everything's safe with Sarah!)

On 07/04/2018 at 10:19, alan_fincher said:

I see Canopus still at the same place.

Any further developments in this saga at all?

Well, Lodden's comment about slipping reversing bands hit the nail on the head (thank you!) - the issue thus solved itself when the old engine and box were removed.

With the new PRM500 and a 24" x 15" turbine (55% DAR) 3 blade prop from Clements the first impressions are very favourable. A little fine in pitch perhaps, but I didn't have the 5kW generator online so to be expected and calculated for. Most relevant for other boaters - she now stops beautifully!

The stern tube extension and re-profiling of the deadwood etc will be done but has dropped down the list of priorities for now. There are water circulation issues with the present installation so this summer will no doubt be lost re-plumbing. And after we'll see; an 11ft well deck under canvas is under contemplation too...

Edited by dpaws

11 hours ago, dave moore said:

Not a chimney, rather a tall pipe to sit on the cabin top from the exhaust, usually used on deeper canals with higher bridges, or when loaded in bygone days. Looks to me like the work of Dave Parrot, A’s is the titch pipe behind.

Correct Dave, as usual.